Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [2]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: 3.19 UG GPA: Legitimate concern or am I overworrying? [#permalink]
Kudos
Your undergraduate GPA is something you can't change, so at this point is does you no good to worry about it. As stated above, the GMAT can help compensate for a low undergrad GPA. If you do well on other aspects of the application it will hopefully make up for GPA mishaps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
If the Fs were in quant classes like stats or calculus then it's a good idea to retake those classes at either a community college or reputable online extension program.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
If your GPA is in the bottom quartile, it makes sense to try to come out of the GMAT with a score in the top quartile (for your school). Looking at the GPA/GMAT breakdowns by school (https://poetsandquants.com/2012/03/27/gp ... -get-in/2/), I think 730+ would place you at that point for the schools you listed.

Without knowing your goals, I can't say if it would be a good fit, but you may want to look into Cornell (Johnson), which has a lower average GPA (3.28) and 10th percentile threshold (2.78) than other top 15/20 schools.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, a 3.19 is maybe not to bad considering that there were some Fs. I would say that besides acing the GMAT, it would also depend on how good your story is. But a 720+ would be sweet, if you can hit it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:

I work with candidates every year who face similar problems and from my experience, the following schools seemed most receptive last year.
- Ross, Fuqua, Johnson, Booth and Anderson (although a bit less receptive last year than in the past)
- Schools that seem to have no tolerance to people in your situation include: HBS, Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley, Yale and Darden.
- Schools with mixed records on such candidates include; Wharton, MIT, Tuck, NYU and Kellogg

I am in a similar boat. I have a low undergrad GPA (3.0) but I did pursue grad school after that to focus on my area of interest and graduated with 3.75 (and a thesis/published paper)....not that it is an apples to apples comparison but does that help my case? GMAT was decent but not spectacular, 88th percentile. I do address my undergrad GPA in the essays.... Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thank you guys so much for your informative responses. As a matter of pure curiosity, is undergrad GPA used in MBA ranking systems the way GMAT scores are? I'm interested because if not, adcoms could look at GPA purely holistically, whereas if it is used in rankings, they would have to be more conscious of making sure they don't let the median or mean fall too low.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
kdog28 wrote:
Thank you guys so much for your informative responses. As a matter of pure curiosity, is undergrad GPA used in MBA ranking systems the way GMAT scores are? I'm interested because if not, adcoms could look at GPA purely holistically, whereas if it is used in rankings, they would have to be more conscious of making sure they don't let the median or mean fall too low.

Yes, undergraduate GPA is used as a mathematical factor in (arguably) the largest business school ranking: US News.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... l-rankings
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
3.19 gpa is certainly not a deal breaker by any means. I know people who have done far worse in undergraduate than you did. Like others have said, there will be greater emphasis on your GMAT score and you should be targetting a 700 plus there. With your finance background, I would expect you to score well on the quant section as well.
GMAT Club Bot