Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Re: 40 Year Old YLS Student wants to apply to HBS (770 GMAT) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi there,

I would definitely suggest going for it - you have nothing to lose! You certainly have an interesting background and there is a lot that you could potentially contribute to your class. Since you are on the older side, the key will be crafting a compelling story and explaining why you need the MBA from HBS at this point in life. If you'd like to discuss further through a free consultation, feel free to reach out at info@ivygroupe.com or https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali (HBS grad)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaypress wrote:
Hello. I am an AA male, 40 years old with the following: STEM PhD (think EE, CE, CS) from top-ranked USNWR program, several years of professional experience, and a student at Yale Law School. The initial plan was to go into intellectual property law, but I've broadened that plan which has now become founding an emerging markets/~private equity firm that deals with advanced technologies. The firm is based in NY, and I have not done much with it because I am still building my network and taking these tough interesting classes at Yale Law School. Anyhow, I want to apply to Harvard business school for 3 reasons: a) to help me with my forthcoming business strategies, raising capital, etc., b) to gain access to the larger pool of already established & deeply connected HBS alumni globally (again raising capital), and perhaps the most important reason 3) I am fully aware of how difficult it can be to raise enormous capital in this field; I have inside information that aside from experience, it greatly helps to have an MBA from a prestigious institution like HBS, simply because fund managers check academic pedigree.

I know HBS tends to trend towards the younger crowd, and some may tell me to get an EMBA. Well, that is not going to happen because I am at YLS, and the plan is to launch this firm by the time I finish the dual Yale JD & hopefully Harvard MBA. Hence, I am NOT looking to be someone's associate or consultant. I am planning to be the CEO, not an associate or analyst or employee; although I know it would be a profound challenge, I am eagerly looking forward to it.

So, any advice on applying to HBS? I think I am a very unique applicant especially since I'll be applying from YLS.

Hey dude,
Well look, you have an awesome profile in many respects, African America, ridiculous GMAT (congrats!), Phd, Yale law... etc. etc. etc.

Okay so the facts and numbers are pretty good. Except that one thing your age.

Now if I were on the AdCom of HBS the first thing I would say to myself is "Hey, this dude is awesome, but does he really fit? does he really need an MBA? Will it really help him at this point?" There are enough prestigious programs out there int he EMBA, one-year etc, in which you would better fit naturally. so what that means is that if you apply (and I think you should give it a shot if you desire) you have to have a REALLY REALLY good story. Why MBA? Why now? Why EVEN more studies? Why HBS and not somewhere else? Why a regular MBA and not a program geared to older/more experienced people.

Basically you are on the defensive here, and you need to positively explain your reasons.

It would also be wise to come up with a list of other programs you would be interested in applying to.

I hope this helps! And feel free to drop us a line for a free consultation.

Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
40 Year Old YLS Student wants to apply to HBS (770 GMAT) [#permalink]
Thanks for all the input, it has been rather helpful.

I did explain, although briefly, the reasons why I am in need of an MBA. Do you mean to say that my reasons for wanting an MBA is not valid? The venture that I've chosen to embark upon is a very profound one, and unlike most MBA candidates that are simply hoping to become someone's employee, the path I have chosen is a fairly unique one. Like I said in my prior post, I am not just trying to get an MBA from HBS because I want to work for someone, my dreams are much larger than that. From speaking with some people in the venture capital/PE world, academic pedigree is of the utmost significance if you are planning to lead an investment firm. Furthermore, the firm that I have founded is intended to have a global reach, particularly in Africa, which is where primary investments will be targeted. So, yes I do believe that I need an MBA, especially from HBS, to run a global investment firm that is based in New York.

As to why get an MBA now, I couldn't think of anyone with a better reason that the path I have chosen. Moreover, as a YLS student, I cannot arbitrarily apply to any b school while in law school to cross-register. It has to be with a school that YLS allows their students to cross-register; Stanford and Harvard business schools are two that I currently know of.

I am a big dreamer, and I plan to get this firm going by the time I graduate with a JD & an MBA.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaypress wrote:
Thanks for all the input, it has been rather helpful.

I did explain, although briefly, the reasons why I am in need of an MBA. Do you mean to say that my reasons for wanting an MBA is not valid? The venture that I've chosen to embark upon is a very profound one, and unlike most MBA candidates that are simply hoping to become someone's employee, the path I have chosen is a fairly unique one. Like I said in my prior post, I am not just trying to get an MBA from HBS because I want to work for someone, my dreams are much larger than that. From speaking with some people in the venture capital/PE world, academic pedigree is of the utmost significance if you are planning to lead an investment firm. Furthermore, the firm that I have founded is intended to have a global reach, particularly in Africa, which is where primary investments will be targeted. So, yes I do believe that I need an MBA, especially from HBS, to run a global investment firm that is based in New York.

As to why get an MBA now, I couldn't think of anyone with a better reason that the path I have chosen. Moreover, as a YLS student, I cannot arbitrarily apply to any b school while in law school to cross-register. It has to be with a school that YLS allows their students to cross-register; Stanford and Harvard business schools are two that I currently know of.

I am a big dreamer, and I plan to get this firm going by the time I graduate with a JD & an MBA.

I hear you man. And I don't doubt your reasons, but do realize that applying at 40 makes you a HUGE outlier. There are two issues here that I feel still need to be addressed:
1. Why THIS program? I mean you're gonna be hanging out with 25 year old kids with zero experience, who are totally green. Wouldn't a program like Stanford MSx fit better? (or similar?) Again, this is not to actually question your motivation, but these are "devil's advocate" questions to make sure your story is watertight!
2. Another thing to watch out for is the belief in the necessity of an education to do this. You are very very well educated. Maybe too well educated, int he sense that the school might be wary and be like "Well, if he didn't get his goals with THAT, one more degree isn't gonna help.

I think the important thing is that by being critical of your own motivations, you will come up with a better story.

Also, I would really not recommend applying ONLY to HBS and banking on getting in. Of course I DO think you should apply, and with a great application you should have a chance, but applying to HBS should be a part and parcel of a greater strategy.

Best,
JF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
40 Year Old YLS Student wants to apply to HBS (770 GMAT) [#permalink]
Hi jaypress,

Pedigree works if you’re seeking opportunity in an established VC/ PE firm. (That’s the reason why HSW sends many more to the industry than other schools. But another reason is that many more with that experience join these schools.)

But if you’re looking to start such a firm, pedigree will be a distant fourth, fifth, or may not even matter. Before loosening their purse strings to a new fund, Limited Partners (LPs) expect General Partners (GPs) to have a track record (successful entrepreneur or investing track), deep understanding of industry verticals, and understanding of markets. If you don’t have the relevant experience, it’s going to be extremely, extremely hard to raise those tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. And an MBA, even if it’s from HBS, won’t plug these gaps.

If you want to pursue an MBA with this goal in mind, think thrice. You don’t want to climb a hill, and later realize that it was the wrong one. Remember, all this has nothing to do with age.

You can of course apply, but, in my opinion, this goal is too big a leap of faith (unless you’ve the relevant experience, in which case you don’t need an MBA), which is likely to leap out as a big red flag. Age is another big issue, which others have pointed out.

All that I’ve said is not to discourage you, but only to point few realities which you should think about if you haven’t already.

P.S. If you want to test whether you need an MBA or not, talk to few LPs, asking for their honest, honest answer to your unbiased questions. That’s a small effort to make. And you can make the beginning at Yale endowment fund.

Originally posted by 99Colleges on 18 May 2017, 09:21.
Last edited by 99Colleges on 22 May 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaypress wrote:
Hello. I am an AA male, 40 years old with the following: STEM PhD (think EE, CE, CS) from top-ranked USNWR program, several years of professional experience, and a student at Yale Law School. The initial plan was to go into intellectual property law, but I've broadened that plan which has now become founding an emerging markets/~private equity firm that deals with advanced technologies. The firm is based in NY, and I have not done much with it because I am still building my network and taking these tough interesting classes at Yale Law School. Anyhow, I want to apply to Harvard business school for 3 reasons: a) to help me with my forthcoming business strategies, raising capital, etc., b) to gain access to the larger pool of already established & deeply connected HBS alumni globally (again raising capital), and perhaps the most important reason 3) I am fully aware of how difficult it can be to raise enormous capital in this field; I have inside information that aside from experience, it greatly helps to have an MBA from a prestigious institution like HBS, simply because fund managers check academic pedigree.

I know HBS tends to trend towards the younger crowd, and some may tell me to get an EMBA. Well, that is not going to happen because I am at YLS, and the plan is to launch this firm by the time I finish the dual Yale JD & hopefully Harvard MBA. Hence, I am NOT looking to be someone's associate or consultant. I am planning to be the CEO, not an associate or analyst or employee; although I know it would be a profound challenge, I am eagerly looking forward to it.

So, any advice on applying to HBS? I think I am a very unique applicant especially since I'll be applying from YLS.

With all respect, I see you have virtually no chance at HBS given your age and now you are already back in school at an advanced MBA age. The why you want an MBA argument--for the network/capital raising--will not resonate, and though you may have this dream of starting a PE fund, you don't have the background for it. Of course, you may raise it from family/friends, but from an HBS story perspective, I don't think they will get very excited.
GMAT Club Bot