GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 420 Q43 V9
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 00:17
I gave my GMAT yesterday and could score 680. I felt it was descent improvement from 420 (in September). I never thought my preparation was of 420 during Sept, 2018. I was scoring descent 600-620 in all Manhattan tests. I felt I was giving too much importance to first 15 questions and first RC during my GMAT exam killed my rhthym. But later, I realized that strategy works for people who want to be on 700+ level ( I might be wrong here). My GMAT aim was always 650+. I later learned to time out myself and move on to next questions.

I am not looking to retake again as I need to work on my application and preparing for GMAT has been very exhausting journey for me. I started preparation when my daughter was 3 month. Now she is one year :). It was long journey with lot of breaks in middle (in fact I changed my job too), but I wanted to get GMAT out of my way. I never wanted to have any excuses for not finishing my GMAT.

I am sure their are better debrief around but few things I learned in last months, which I want to share.
-> Solve quality questions rather than looking for quantity of questions.
-> Ace 500 level, then 600 level, then 650 level, then jump to 700 level. I did make few mistakes here to jump directly to 650 level. I was so so wrong here.
-> Solving 2 RC per day. After my disastrous performance in RC in my first take, I decided not to repeat same mistake again. Thanks to project rc butler. I was doing that for 4 consecutive months, (even on weekends). Thanks workout for having that.
-> Common mistake which many people do. Don't exaust OG resources. I did solved 4 OG tests during my first GMAT exam, when I scored pathetic 420. I also had completed all Manhattan tests.
-> GMAT questions of the day are great. They are actually handpicked and their are always new concept to learn from each question. Please do it
-> Skip your weak areas and focus on your strenghts. This was crucial thing, i learned. Whenever I see assumption, complete the passage, bold CR, I just skip it. I save 3 min their which I can use in RC. I am very slow reader, so need more time in RC to solve questions. I made sure, I skipped atleast 1-2 CR questions per 20 questions. Overall, I got 10 minutes for RC and building my SC accuracy. This strategy worked for me. In fact on my second GMAT attempt, I skipped first few questions intentionally. I don't want to solve 700 level RC and suck my time their. I am happy solving 600 level RC in first 15 questions. (If you want 700+, please dont follow this strategy :) )
-> For quants, GMAT Club tests are great. I did OG material first and later shifted to GMAT Club practice.
-> For verbal, I did enroll for e-gmat. I liked SC course. I did OG material for verbal and then shifted my focus on "only" GMAT QOTD of 2017/2018 (till April) from GMATNinja. I thought, that was enlightening experience for me. It is quality question with excellent explanation for CR and SC. I learned to look for 4 wrong answers (and not one correct answer).

I want to thanks all verbal/quants experts for being so helpful. Special thanks to folks, whose posts I followed very religiously. Bunuel for quants and GMATNinja for verbal.

Please PM me, if I can be of any help to someone. I would be very happy :please :please
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
GPA: 3.12
WE: Other (Other)
420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 00:26
Hey! This is an amazing improvement and actually motivates me that I could get such a score improvement as well. If possible can you please answer my few questions?

1) what was your diagonostic score and scores on practice CAT’s before your first attempt?

2) how did you structure your day? Like 2 RC, few CR and few Sc?

3) did you review questions? How many times? Like the ones you did wrong you wrote the strategy somewhere of solving them and read it after few weeks?

Thank you and apologies for these stupid questions :)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: 420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 00:45
UmairAftab wrote:
Hey! This is an amazing improvement and actually motivates me that I could get such a score improvement as well. If possible can you please answer my few questions?

1) what was your diagonostic score and scores on practice CAT’s before your first attempt?

2) how did you structure your day? Like 2 RC, few CR and few Sc?

3) did you review questions? How many times? Like the ones you did wrong you wrote the strategy somewhere of solving them and read it after few weeks?

Thank you and apologies for these stupid questions :)

No, they are all valid questions to begin your preparation.
1) My diagnostic score was 460 before I started preparation. I gave Manhattan tests. Many of them in this forum recommended that.
2) Apart from 2 RC's. I only used to focus on SC or CR questions at beginning. But later, once I was OK in SC and while learning CR, I used to give minimum 5-10 SC. I was using e-gmat scholaranium tool for practice. I found it useful.
3) I used to have have handwritten notes on which "rule" I missed and what did I learn from my mistake. (No ever note or excel, I feel confident if I write on paper). I do used to redo hard SC but only once. Only questions I used to redo most was RC (sometime more than 3 times). I came across many RC's whose structure were so complex (with so many modifiers in single sentence), that I used to answer all questions wrong. I used to solve those RC after one week, making sure I am getting used to that structure and modifiers used in those.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 01:03
vikram912 wrote:
I gave my GMAT yesterday and could score 680. I felt it was descent improvement from 420 (in September). I never thought my preparation was of 420 during Sept, 2018. I was scoring descent 600-620 in all Manhattan tests. I felt I was giving too much importance to first 15 questions and first RC during my GMAT exam killed my rhthym. But later, I realized that strategy works for people who want to be on 700+ level ( I might be wrong here). My GMAT aim was always 650+. I later learned to time out myself and move on to next questions.

I am not looking to retake again as I need to work on my application and preparing for GMAT has been very exhausting journey for me. I started preparation when my daughter was 3 month. Now she is one year :). It was long journey with lot of breaks in middle (in fact I changed my job too), but I wanted to get GMAT out of my way. I never wanted to have any excuses for not finishing my GMAT.

I am sure their are better debrief around but few things I learned in last months, which I want to share.
-> Solve quality questions rather than looking for quantity of questions.
-> Ace 500 level, then 600 level, then 650 level, then jump to 700 level. I did make few mistakes here to jump directly to 650 level. I was so so wrong here.
-> Solving 2 RC per day. After my disastrous performance in RC in my first take, I decided not to repeat same mistake again. Thanks to project rc butler. I was doing that for 4 consecutive months, (even on weekends). Thanks workout for having that.
-> Common mistake which many people do. Don't exaust OG resources. I did solved 4 OG tests during my first GMAT exam, when I scored pathetic 420. I also had completed all Manhattan tests.
-> GMAT questions of the day are great. They are actually handpicked and their are always new concept to learn from each question. Please do it
-> Skip your weak areas and focus on your strenghts. This was crucial thing, i learned. Whenever I see assumption, complete the passage, bold CR, I just skip it. I save 3 min their which I can use in RC. I am very slow reader, so need more time in RC to solve questions. I made sure, I skipped atleast 1-2 CR questions per 20 questions. Overall, I got 10 minutes for RC and building my SC accuracy. This strategy worked for me. In fact on my second GMAT attempt, I skipped first few questions intentionally. I don't want to solve 700 level RC and suck my time their. I am happy solving 600 level RC in first 15 questions. (If you want 700+, please dont follow this strategy :) )
-> For quants, GMAT Club tests are great. I did OG material first and later shifted to GMAT Club practice.
-> For verbal, I did enroll for e-gmat. I liked SC course. I did OG material for verbal and then shifted my focus on "only" GMAT QOTD of 2017/2018 (till April) from GMATNinja. I thought, that was enlightening experience for me. It is quality question with excellent explanation for CR and SC. I learned to look for 4 wrong answers (and not one correct answer).

I want to thanks all verbal/quants experts for being so helpful. Special thanks to folks, whose posts I followed very religiously. Bunuel for quants and GMATNinja for verbal.

Please PM me, if I can be of any help to someone. I would be very happy :please :please

congratulations and good luck for Application process! Which schools are you targeting and can you share your profile?
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 01:27
Thank you PeepalTree. I am looking for part time MBA options. My heart goes for HAAS :heart :heart . UCLA is another option too but for now only HAAS. I come from very competitive pool i.e male, asian, tech background with 10+ years of experience. That is another reason, I am planning to work on my application. I feel 680 -> 700 will not make much difference to my profile, if my essays/recommendation are not well written.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 22:55
vikram912 wrote:
Thank you PeepalTree. I am looking for part time MBA options. My heart goes for HAAS :heart :heart . UCLA is another option too but for now only HAAS. I come from very competitive pool i.e male, asian, tech background with 10+ years of experience. That is another reason, I am planning to work on my application. I feel 680 -> 700 will not make much difference to my profile, if my essays/recommendation are not well written.
680 is a solid score. Congrats on the 260 point improvement, and all the best for the applications process :)
Re: 420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2019, 22:55

420 to 680. Thank you GMAT Club forum!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics