Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
to start of with : YOU ARE NOT DUMB
If you keep thinking you're dumb, then there is nothing you can do to solve the problem.

let me give you a few reasons, based only and solely on your short post, why I'm sure you are NOT dumb:
- You have a college degree, somthing not too many people in the world nowdays have obtained.
- You came to the right place, the GMAT club, and this indicates you decent intellectual abilities.
- you are asking for help and did not give up easily and decide to forget about your MBA or whatever degree you want to persue with your GMAT score.

I can see a few mistakes already that you have made so far:
- You took the Kaplan course. BIG MIStAKE !!!
- you took the GMATprep and scored 460 and GMAT prep is the most accurate practice test available. You should have known you were likely to score around 460 on the real test.

What can you do now?
calm down .. take a deep breath .. know that the GMAT is not about how much time and effort you put in studying, it's more of WHERE to spend time and effort preparing for the GMAT !

Start with this:
Tons of successful GMAT takers have scored really high and succeeded getting where they wanted to. This is what they advice us to think:
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=43532

What's next ?
take a full week reading most posts in the GMAT and GMAT Experience forums. starting from the very first day of the GMAT club life.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: 480 on the gmat i wish i was dead [#permalink]
Dont feel down Ashima,

That is some good advice from mishari, for starters GMAT is no reflection of intelligence. Many people have improved their scores dramatically with focused practice. Join the club, become an active participant. Practice , practice , practice and give it another shot.

good luck.

ashima wrote:
hi guys i need serious help. I took the gamt on june 30 ,2007 and got 25/38% on verbal and 31/33% on quantitative. I went to my car after the test and started crying. I feel so sad and stupid. I wish I was dead. I took the kaplan course in december 06 and studied for the gmat about 6 to 8 hours a day to sometime to 2 hours a day I suck at RC, DS, algebra and problem solving. Why am i so dumb. Please help me. It been a month and i still don't feel like studying. maybe i am just stupid. what can i do. help help,,,please help...i used the offical gmat and kapln course. i scored at 530 on gamt kaplan pratice test. and 460 on gmat prep practice test. help me. how should i study and when should i retake the test. thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think anyone is born stupid or that anyone is born smarter than anyone else. It's all a choice. If you choose to spend a ton of time (which is a REQUIREMENT) to study for the GMATs, then the outcome will be favorable.

Think about how long you studied for it and double the time. IE, if you studied for 1 month, study for 2 months or more, and take it easy. do NOT study like 10 hours a day - i feel that i learn more when things are broken up over time rather than all crammed into my brain in a 10-hour day.

hope this helps and best of luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I think you must also reconsider your decision about getting an MBA. Most people just want to do an MBA but you might have skills more suited toward another career.

I was too keen on getting into an Art school and had to give up after trying desperately for two years and I am happy that I made that decision because I have come to a profession where I can do more with less effort. An MBA is not the only thing in this world and someone scoring more than others mean they are more suitable for an academic environment designed for business studies but don't forget the fact that most of the real business leaders never did an MBA and still achieved the heights of their professions.

While I believe that with some concentrated effort anyone can achieve a 700+ plus in GMAT and also go to an Art school but that wouldn't be the optimal use of our energies.

Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
I totally disagree with financeguy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mishari wrote:

I completly agree with Mishari ;) :)

Read this topic : https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35919

and use energysing musics like "Eye of Tigger" or consor :)

Good Luck & Do not give up ! :D :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DO NOT LISTEN TO FINANCEGUY
Manager
Manager
Send PM
on finance guy [#permalink]
I think financeguy came off a bit too insensitive and pessisimistic.But,he was actually just trying to make a point.Talk about people skills.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
:)thanks [#permalink]
Thank you guys for your advice
i have decided to study OG but my retention is bad
i will try to study atleast 2 hours a day
and also get the MGMAT series
i am not sure where to look for the basics in math and verbal
i did ok in math in college always a B no A's
but i don't remember much now
Reading comprehension -i need help in that and DS- still hard to grasp
thanks
:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: on finance guy [#permalink]
snow wolf wrote:
I think financeguy came off a bit too insensitive and pessisimistic.But,he was actually just trying to make a point.Talk about people skills.

Thanks for understanding my point of view. I guess most people here are a bit aggressive and they believe in achieving a goal at any cost which might not always be a good strategy. Improvement from 480 onwards is not easy and has a huge cost in terms of time, money and energy so she must see if it's worth for her to pursue her MBA aspirations.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: :)thanks [#permalink]
ashima wrote:
Thank you guys for your advice
i have decided to study OG but my retention is bad
i will try to study atleast 2 hours a day
and also get the MGMAT series
i am not sure where to look for the basics in math and verbal
i did ok in math in college always a B no A's
but i don't remember much now
Reading comprehension -i need help in that and DS- still hard to grasp
thanks
:)

somone spammed this forum a while back with a link to a website called luminosity.com. if your retention/memory is bad it is worth checking out. i play the brain games there at times... i wouldnt spend the money to join up... just keep registering with different email addresses
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: :)thanks [#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
ashima wrote:

somone spammed this forum a while back with a link to a website called luminosity. if your retention/memory is bad it is worth checking out. i play the brain games there at times... i wouldnt spend the money to join up... just keep registering with different email addresses

They wont let you join without a credit card so how you join from different addresses?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow ... financeguy

Expect to see different opinions. not everybody will agree with you. All I said was : I disagree with financeguy. (period)

My first GMAT practice test score was 490
My last GMAT prep practice test score was 700

Did I spend $4000 for that ? NO
Did I study for 300 hours ? NO
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
Mishari wrote:

I'm bit emotional and my my eyes were filled with tears when i read this post from positive_soul
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
trahul4 wrote:
Fig wrote:
Mishari wrote:

I'm bit emotional and my my eyes were filled with tears when i read this post from positive_soul

Well... It should boost u not make u crying ;) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
trahul4 wrote:
Fig wrote:
Mishari wrote:

Well said Fig :)

Well... It should boost u not make u crying ;) :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
ashima wrote:
hi guys i need serious help. I took the gamt on june 30 ,2007 and got 25/38% on verbal and 31/33% on quantitative. I went to my car after the test and started crying. I feel so sad and stupid. I wish I was dead. I took the kaplan course in december 06 and studied for the gmat about 6 to 8 hours a day to sometime to 2 hours a day I suck at RC, DS, algebra and problem solving. Why am i so dumb. Please help me. It been a month and i still don't feel like studying. maybe i am just stupid. what can i do. help help,,,please help...i used the offical gmat and kapln course. i scored at 530 on gamt kaplan pratice test. and 460 on gmat prep practice test. help me. how should i study and when should i retake the test. thanks

Its tough to come to this board. Everyone on this board has a 3.5 and a 700 and is going to Harvard
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts