Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
Re: 4th GMAT attempt and truely disappointing..... [#permalink]
cedric7 wrote:
Well I did sign up for a months course with Veritas a while back so using the online practices tests they have. I have been reading that Manhattan GMAT material seems to be the way to go?

In terms of material I have the OG 11, OG quant(green book) and of course all the Veritas books.

I have various other books such as Kaplan that my friends have passed on to me.

Basically just trying to figure out what the next move is and how best approach a re study?

From what I have read on this forum, I would suggest that you use GMATPrep as the best indicator for your score:

https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx

Also, start using a timer when you do the OG material.

If you can do the easier questions (in the beginning of the books) under 2mins, move on to the medium questions, then hard questions etc.

Quality over Quantity as well: stop right when it took you longer than 2mins. Ask yourself "Why did I do it wrong?" (rushed, didn't write enough down, don't know the fundamentals, did not concentrate)

If you didn't know the fundamental, go back to the MGMAT guides. If you do know the fundamentals, but just didn't see the "trick", write down the trick on a "cheat sheet" which you can use for study and memory purposes.

Concentration/rushing can be fixed by discipline, breathing, double-checking etc.

Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
seems really require motivation....huh...
do the mgmat x 8 books, they are really good, take a diagonstic, post the score..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ jfk - i think if i remember correctly that gmatprep that you download you only get 2 tests?

I have been using a timer as I did feel previously I was short of time and on my practice tests have been finishing with a bit of time to spare, although the timer has been a good thing.

@rajeevrks27 - do you have a link for the books you mentioned? Ill do the diagnostic and post it for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
cedric7 wrote:
@ jfk - i think if i remember correctly that gmatprep that you download you only get 2 tests?

I have been using a timer as I did feel previously I was short of time and on my practice tests have been finishing with a bit of time to spare, although the timer has been a good thing.

@rajeevrks27 - do you have a link for the books you mentioned? Ill do the diagnostic and post it for you.

First of all do you know your weak areas? Don't waste the GMAT Prep tests if you haven't tackled most of your weak areas and your fundamentals are subpar. I would buy all the Manhattan GMAT practice CATS and take the first one. This will give you statistics and from those stats you can see your weak areas (i.e. problems answered incorrectly, problems answered right but took too much time, guessed, divisiblity & primes, idioms, inference, etc...). Make sure you review every single question from this CAT and identify what you need to work on. After you know your weak areas then pound the **** out of them with Manhattan GMAT guides and practice problems. Use the OG for practice probs and this forum (example I got this link this morning which I am looking forward to going through here at my boring ass job today ds-question-directory-by-topic-128728.html). Make sure you know why you're getting these problems wrong and put them in your error log for review often. After you feel you've made progress take another CAT. Review process mentioned above. Your issue seems to be fundamentals. Make sure you address and know the fundamentals cold. The process above should help you do that. Don't take multiple CATS per week because if your fundamentals are **** then you're wasting practice CAT after practice CAT and taking practice CATS isn't going to help your fundamentals that much. If you're problem is timing then yeah, you'll need to take more CATS.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
destroyerofgmat - thanks for that, I reckon that i will go over my fundamentals anyway I think that you are no doubt right that this needs brushing up on, and will do that CAT like you said, I did originally have the Manhattan CATs guess I will get them again. that link does look good, I had a go at a few questions myself while I was work (ditto on the boring ass part!!)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Can you list your scores please? All 4?
GMAC data has some silver shining for retakers

Attachment:
retaking-gmat.jpg
retaking-gmat.jpg [ 26.53 KiB | Viewed 3159 times ]

Thsi info came from the GMAC Summit: gmatclub-attends-2011-gmac-test-prep-summit-nyc-120877.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb sure

1st time - 26Q 23V - 430
2nd time - 22Q 27V - 430
3rd time - cant find my print will come back with that one
4th time - 28Q 26V - 480
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
650 to 430 is crazy. I don't have much experience since i will take the test for the first time 3 weeks later . Sorry pal but can't give you any advice but this just scares me !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
goktug88 - i wouldnt worry i am sure you have your own methods, probably better than mine!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I hope so .. I don't really have any methods but we will see.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry to hear that. Have you been taking full practice GMAT tests from the GMATPrep software?

If you came out feeling unprepared, you probably could have pushed your test date. Take the test only when you feel you are making progress. Don't just take it for the sake of taking it.

In other words - were you surprised with the result because you were expecting a higher scored based on practice exams?

Clearly you can't continue doing what you've been doing and expect a different result. You're going to need to change the way you think or the way you approach your studying if you decide to retake.

If you do decide to retake, you'll probably want to do it before the June 5 date when the new section comes out. You've been studying for a long time and don't want to be in a situation where you have to prepare for even more material.

Remember - it's about studying smart, not hard. Are you marking questions you get wrong and revisiting them religiously day after day? If you don't correct your mistakes, no one else can do it for you.

Keep your head up. Give it a few days rest and then get back into it. We'll be here to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 3: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
I've been monitoring gmatclub posts daily. I saw your post and I just had to pull myself away from my studies to reply to you.

I can tell you that my my last attempt at GMAT, and was my 2nd attempt, I got a 640. Up to that point, I was studying using MGMAT books. I decided to enroll in an online Kaplan GMAT review course. It is still too early to tell, but my last practice test I took, I scored a 710. So, I think it may be helping me. This course is no magic pill, you've got to work at it, but I think there is a real possibility it may help me. It is helping to sharpen a lot of my gmat skills.

I agree with previous posters, that the key is to get a solid understanding of the fundamentals. The MGMAT books will definitely help with that.

I've been prepping since last August, so I know it can get disappointing. But, be patient with yourself. You can do it!!! Keep working on it, it will come.

By the way, I want to say hi to Raj. Raj, I've been following your posts. They are really helpful! Talk to you later!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
@gmatpill - yeah I reflect on the score and the time leading up to the actual test I feel I should have postponed it, I did feel semi confident about the lead up and the practice that I had been doing. In say that I was hoping for a better score or something at least along the lines of what had occurred in practice.

It is a good point about the change over on the 5th of June I have definitely been thinking about that, and the fact of school deadlines happening in the next month or so which does put a little more pressure on what to do in terms of the strategy to study. to meet the deadlines or forget about it and spend more time studying before the 5th June change over and apply next year.

I have been marking the questions that I get wrong, but in terms of being religious about going back to them no, so I will do that more so now just to nail down those fundamentals which I am getting wrong.

@rsampson - I will get those MGMAT books think raj has kindly sent me some stuff to look at, so hopefully will be able to use those.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
I would also suggest you to go through the following links:-
gmat-advice-request-127016.html#p1039868
and
740-study-strategy-127434.html
you need to do fundamental books before you do the set of 8 books, It's like we all have to work hard at some stage of our life. So, i think now is the time for you to grab the opportunity, and start with the slog. You must book a date only when you are consistently scoring 30-40 points more than ur desired score.n Lemme tell you it's achievable, only thing is that you have to go for long haul..I don't see you will be able to meet the near deadlines.
Again that's my opinion. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
rajeevrks27 wrote:
I would also suggest you to go through the following links:-
gmat-advice-request-127016.html#p1039868
and
740-study-strategy-127434.html
you need to do fundamental books before you do the set of 8 books, It's like we all have to work hard at some stage of our life. So, i think now is the time for you to grab the opportunity, and start with the slog. You must book a date only when you are consistently scoring 30-40 points more than ur desired score.n Lemme tell you it's achievable, only thing is that you have to go for long haul..I don't see you will be able to meet the near deadlines.
Again that's my opinion. :)

Agree with rajeevrks27. Guy you really require a lot of motivation and believe me you can do it . Only thing that requires is a clear introspection of what has gone wrong in the past . Do it religiously and if require take the help of some professional.
"Keep your head high as only those who are in the battle know what war is "
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
So have been reading the other thread that Raj recommeneded about strategy

740-study-strategy-127434-20.html

Based on the beginning of the thread there is a military strategy for a 14 week plan, is there anything else I should do? or change? Do you think I would need to do 14 weeks of prep?

I am gonna take one of the MGMAT CAT tests today to see where I stand in terms of my level and what areas I will need to focus on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, cedric7!

I'm more or less in the same situation as you (started the "740+ study strategy" thread about two months ago) and wanted to know how to study. I knew many things about the GMAT and how it worked, but always got overwhelmed about how to tackle this entire thing! Well, I've been studying for a month or so and I want to share with you some of my insights.

1. Don't try to copy a study strategy! Just try to find/develop yours - You are the boss and you should understand the concepts, so JUST apply the strategy which worked for you in high school or college. If you remember things, when you write them, just do this with the GMAT as well, if you do not like to write, but prefer to read things a couple of time - do it. Don't try to copy a successful study strategy, because it's not going to be yours. And in the end of the day - many of us (including me for some days) thing that you achieve the score with your strategy. NO, you achieve the score with knowledge and therefore it's totally senceless to apply something, which generally, does not work for you. Study at this time of the day, which is convinient for you, do this sequence which makes you happy and just have fun with your study! I'm sure - you can boost your score dramatically, just let me move on to my second insight...

2. Take your time - don't try to push things and schedule a GMAT-exam for next month. If you don't have any deadline, take two months and get some 1-2 weeks of mental rest. Read some reviews/debriefs here, you'll see - all people, who were persistens, just achieved their objective - name it Harvard, Wharton, MIT, INSEAD...all of them just took their time, planned they journey and achieved it. But, attention, all of them had some difficulties/problems which they had to overcome. So, man, you're just in a very common situation where you just need to say - "Hey you Mr./Mrs. (in case this sweet thing is a girl) GMAT, I've achieved so many things, I bet I can crack you within X months." And start your journey!

Yeah, my insights are just two, but, hold on, I've been studying for just one month!

Stay calm, you've already studied a lot, take one or two weeks of rest, and then start with all the motivation, which will allow you to dramatically boost your score. Because of the fact, that you are having a score around 500, I think, you have a problem with the foundations. I've just posted reviews of both MGMAT Foundation book (Kaplan also has such) just go out, buy the one which look nice to you, and dive into them. I'm sure if you complete them (about 2 weeks) and then you just brush again through the books, which you have already worked on, you're going to score 600+!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2