GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

5 attempts: 620 to 730

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
5 attempts: 620 to 730  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 00:21
Hi there,

I just wanted to share my story about hitting 730 after giving four attempts previously. I'm an Asian woman and have been good at GMAT quant. I started with my first attempt in 2013, in my last year of undergrad. For this attempt I had referred to the OG, exhausted all the possible free mock tests, joined a local Gmat institute (utterly waste) and followed our favorite gmatclub.com. Average mock score 690 (min 690 max 710)

First attempt: 620 (Q49, V26).

Since I knew I would need some work experience to get into a b school, I started working for a bank. Three years later, being at par with the average no. of work experience years required, I started preparing for GMAT again. I referred to the OG 13 and OG16, Mgmat SC and CR, exhausted all the free tests possible again and gave my attempt in Aug'16. I could feel it that I have understood the concepts of English better than before. My average score in the mocks was 720 (minimum 680-maximum 730)

Second attempt: 620 (Q50,V25).

I cried my eyes out for hours. I had been a scholar during my school days and now I has failed twice. It sucked, it hurt. Since GMAT had introduced the option to cancel scores, I used it to my fullest. With the aim to apply for B schools in 2016 deadlines, I gave my Gmat again in September using all the material I had utilised so far. Average score in mocks 720 (min 700- max 740)

Third attempt: 620 (Q49,V26)

I was astounded, shaken from inside and morally let down. I couldn't understand where was I going wrong. I couldn't understand what else I need to be doing apart studying from credible resources to get my mock reflect on my actual exams. A friend of mine helped me analyse the type of mistakes I was doing in my mocks at a granular level. More than just doing analysis whether SC is weak or CR, he helped me corner the areas in CR, SC, RC where I was going wrong. That analysis was very critical and helpful. I also studied from free resources from economist and magoosh (didn't purchase any). I took a break of month and started my preparation again. I even bought the GMAT exam pack, because I had exhausted all the questions from Gmat software. I went for my fourth attempt in December. Average mock score: 720 (min 720- max 740)

Fourth attempt: 670 (Q49,V32)

Honestly speaking even though this score is low, I was happy. Happy about breaking the bloody jinx of 620. I could realise the importance of doing detailed analysis of my mistakes. I took a break of two months. Started in April and booked an exam for June. I used all the resources I mentioned before. This time I would focus not only on right answers for a question, but also check the explanation of the option that I found very close, to understand exactly why was it wrong. I discovered areas where I was weak e.g. Support question in CR which mostly everybody found easy. I focused only on verbal this time. Average mock 720 (min 710- max 760)

Fifth attempt: 730 (Q48, V42)

I couldn't believe that was 'my' score, of somebody who had failed four times. I was in tears after seeing that score. My quant is lesser than all my mocks, I scored minimum of 50, but I'm not complaining. I'm elated!

What helps?
- Being positive / Don't give af attitude. Go to the exam centre as chilled out as you can.
- Focus on the upcoming section and not worry about how the previous section went.
- Root cause analysis of mistakes.
- Not refusing your weak areas. I couldn't accept initially I was not good at one section in CR because everybody found it the easiest. So find your own areas and focus on it.
- Must know why are wrong answers, wrong.
- Keep taking regular breaks during your study plan, while you study regularly. Go out for a movie/dinner to give yourself break.
- Don't compare yourself with others just on the basis of the score. I've done that being on both sides of the table, and it just doesn't work.

Study material:
Quant: OG, gmatclub.com
Verbal: SC - MGMAT (best), CR - MGMAT (good), power score (chapter on sufficient/necessary condition is the best), RC - videos from Magoosh on YouTube, also read regularly and carefully.

For any questions and/or if you're feeling low, please drop a comment and I'll respond at the earliest :)

Don't give up. Don't feel bad if you don't score. Keep your aim high and keep trying! Big thanks to gmatclub.com!!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: 5 attempts: 620 to 730  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 00:09
To shed more light on myself: An engineer with a total work experience of 4 years, I currently work with an international bank. I am planning to apply this year.

To go from 620-720, you must practice and analyse "why" each answer is wrong/right. We usually get down to two options while solving CR, it is vital to understand why the wrong answer is wrong and similarly for the right answer. For SC, MGMAT was the best thing for me, especially the last chapters tell you great tips on why between two or more correct answers, which would you choose as the right answer. Even if you marked the right answer for a question, do skim over why the others are wrong. This could help you realize some other reasons/logic that can also lead to elimination of an option. Keep practicing Quant!

Must do OG but don't keep yourself restricted to it. If you think you are not getting the score you'd want, reach out for other sources. For Verbal, in the download section of gmatclub you'll find 700-800 question series; will highly recommend you to practice from there.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2017, 06:44
Congratulations on your score! :-D
A drop in score from what we see on Mocks is pretty devastating, and facing the same fate for 4 times, hats off to you! :thumbup:
I am pretty shaken in my first attempt itself! A drop from 710 in GMATPrep to 650. :(

What is your average WE/Age? What's your WE and undergrad? Could you mention your profile in brief?
When are you planning to apply?

Could you please elaborate what exactly you did to go from 620-670 to 730, given you were already scoring 7XX on Mock tests? (Pretty much what I need to do!)
Is practise the only key? Will going through all OG Verbal directories (given I do have grasp on concepts) help improve my score?

Originally posted by AkshayKS21 on 09 Jul 2017, 07:54.
Last edited by AkshayKS21 on 12 Jul 2017, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 02:35
Really great effort ... I have been trying for GMAT but my scores are between 500 only... After reviewing I found most of the quant questions are wrong because of hurry .. can I improve this quant score within 10 days from q36 to q42

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 02:47
In my opinion your best shot could be to give mocks every alternate day while inculcating a habit of slowing down!

10 days is too less otherwise to increase the accuracy.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 06:43
sandipan170885 wrote:
Really great effort ... I have been trying for GMAT but my scores are between 500 only... After reviewing I found most of the quant questions are wrong because of hurry .. can I improve this quant score within 10 days from q36 to q42

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Few questions for you first:
    - How long have you been studying?
    - What sources are you using?
    - Which practice exam you have taken? What is your Average Q and V break up?
    - Are your concepts Clear? Have you gone through everything related to quant?
    - What kind of mistakes are you making? Classify your "hurry" into more categories such as "calculation mistake", "wrong concept applied" etc.
    - When are you planning to take GMAT?

And as for your question's answer: Yes, you (and anyone) can improve from Q36 to Q42 (and Q47 for that matter)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 5 attempts: 620 to 730   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2017, 06:43

5 attempts: 620 to 730

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics