Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [25]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [6]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [3]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@someone79 - Congratulations. You win the OG Verbal review Solutions access for 1 month. Accurate and to the point analysis! Send me a PM with your e-GMAT user id information so that we can upgrade your account.

I had one small doubt in your analysis. Why did you mention in Choice D explanation that there is pronoun ambiguity.

Quote:
egmat wrote:
Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division, its future success hinges on how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.
    A. how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s
    B. its close relationship with Apple
    C. on the relationship between its products and Apple’s
    D. how closely it is related to Apple
    E. how closely its products are related to Apple’s

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents a disparity or a contrast. It states a fact that Logitech credits its success to the innovation in its product division. Then it states that the future success of Logitech depends on some other factor – how closely its products are related to Apple’s products.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

1 Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division,
2 its future success hinges on
o how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.

All SV pairs are accounted for and agree in number. The verb tenses have been used appropriately. The comparison is not stated correctly. Logitech’s products have been compared to products of Apple’s products. Note that “Apple’s” implies “Apple’s products”. “those” also logically refer to “products”. This results in distortion of the intended comparison. Either “Apple’s” should be made “Apple” or “those” should be removed.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice completely changes the intended meaning. This choice states that the success depends on relationship between the two companies. This is different from the intended meaning – how closely aligned the products of two companies are.

Choice C – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice removes the contextually important word – “closely”. Now the choice states that the success hinges on the “relationship” between the products instead of the “extent of close relation” between the products.

Choice D – Grammatically Correct but Incorrect Choice – This choice completely distorts the intended meaning since it no longer talks about the close alignment of the products of the two companies. It talks about the close alignment of the companies themselves.

Choice E – Correct Choice.

TAKE AWAYS

1. It is very important to understand the intended meaning of the sentence and then select the choice that communicates that intended meaning in grammatically correct manner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the in [#permalink]
Great! Thanks for the access. I will send you my id soon. I was about to purchase the egmat as it looks as very nice material for non-native speakers.

Why do I think it is misplaced in choice 'D'?
=====================================
There are 3 nouns in the adverb clause: release, innovation, and division. Release seems more appropriate, but it isn't logical. Apart from this, any of the above nouns can be the antecedent. "Logitech's" isn't a noun that can be an antecedent due to its being in genetive form.

Thanks for posting such nice questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Although Logitech’s recent press release credits its success to the innovation in its product division, its future success hinges on how closely its products are related to those of Apple’s.
sir i have faced a problem that in this sentence how antecedent of it can refer to logitech. please explain me as soon as possible.
thankyou :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Where is the 'it' in the clause? There are only possessives ' its', Logitech's , those of and then the wrong Apple's. Those of Apple' s is redundant; it should be either 'Apple's' or those of Apple.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Where is the 'it' in the clause? There are only possessives ' its', Logitech's , those of and then the wrong Apple's. Those of Apple' s is redundant; it should be either 'Apple's' or those of Apple.

thanks for your reply sir. that i know those or apple's is referring to apple's product but i wanna know that basically this sentence is not using logitech as a noun but it is using logitech's recent press report so how can its refer to logitech's. i was confused that it's can refer to its report not the company its self.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Although Logitech’s recent press release credits Logitech’s success to the innovation in Logitech’s product division, Logitech’s future success hinges on how closely Logitech’s products are related to those of Apple. Every possessive pronoun is referring to the company’s, including the press release. Therefore, there is no hitch. Please do not mistake that the press release is being modified by the success or the product divisions or the company’s future or the products. Logically, a prèss release cannot be the owner or doer of all these factors. Therefore, both structurally and logically, ‘its’ fits in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Although Logitech’s recent press release credits Logitech’s success to the innovation in Logitech’s product division, Logitech’s future success hinges on how closely Logitech’s products are related to those of Apple. Every possessive pronoun is referring to the company’s, including the press release. Therefore, there is no hitch. Please do not mistake that the press release is being modified by the success or the product divisions or the company’s future or the products. Logically, a prèss release cannot be the owner or doer of all these factors. Therefore, both structurally and logically, ‘its’ fits in.

ok sir thanks a lot i got it. now i can say that its can refer to logitech's but if there is a it pronoun than it can't refer to logitech.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
and can you help me in one more question.

Residents of several Mexican villages have risen up in armed revolt against local drug traffickers terrorizing the region and against the government that residents say of as incapable to protect them from organized crime.

A. terrorizing the region and against the government that residents say of as incapable to protect

B. terrorizing the region and the government that residents say to be incapable to protect

C. who have terrorized the region and the government who residents say it is incapable to protect

D. who have terrorized the region and against the government that residents say is incapable of protecting

E. that terrorized the region and against the government that residents say incapable of protecting

in this question i wanna know that how who can be corrected as it can refer to residents or drug traffickers. so don't you think so its wrong. thankyou please help me out this is my last question
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
and can you help me in one more question.

Residents of several Mexican villages have risen up in armed revolt against local drug traffickers terrorizing the region and against the government that residents say of as incapable to protect them from organized crime.

A. terrorizing the region and against the government that residents say of as incapable to protect

B. terrorizing the region and the government that residents say to be incapable to protect

C. who have terrorized the region and the government who residents say it is incapable to protect

D. who have terrorized the region and against the government that residents say is incapable of protecting

E. that terrorized the region and against the government that residents say incapable of protecting

in this question i wanna know that how who can be corrected as it can refer to residents or drug traffickers. so don't you think so its wrong. thankyou please help me out this is my last question

You can refer to the below link for the explanation of this question :

mexican-villagers-a-tough-700-level-question-147361.html
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Although Logitechs recent press release credits its success to the in [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although Logitechs recent press release credits its success to the in [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts