GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 26
5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Sep 2015, 16:02
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:59) correct 24% (02:30) wrong based on 94 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be twice as old as Atu. What is the sum of their ages now?
A) 18
B) 24
C) 28
D) 35
E) 42

Source: GMAT Prep Now - http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/909

Originally posted by skylimit on 15 Sep 2015, 13:35.
Last edited by skylimit on 15 Sep 2015, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 13:37
These questions make my head spin. Even if I make a table like they suggest, I don't fill it in correctly.
I've been trying to test answers for a lot of the word problems questions but it doesn't always work or I don't know how to do it right.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 15:22
skylimit wrote:
5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be twice as old as Atu. What is the age of their ages now?
A) 18
B) 24
C) 28
D) 35
E) 42

Source: GMAT Prep Now - http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/909



Correction- the question should read- "What is the sum of their ages now?"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 15:31
1
skylimit wrote:
These questions make my head spin. Even if I make a table like they suggest, I don't fill it in correctly.
I've been trying to test answers for a lot of the word problems questions but it doesn't always work or I don't know how to do it right.



These kind of questions become really easy if you stick to the basic principle of fixing the current age and then use it as a reference to draw equation with given condition, be it in the past or future.

Consider the current age of Ebu= E & that of Atu= A.

Now look at the 1st condition: i.e. 5 years ago.
5 years ago, Ebu would be (E-5) yrs old and Atu- (A-5) yrs.

therefore: (E-5) = 3*(A-5) ---> 3A - E = 10

From the 2nd condition, Ebu = E+3 and Atu = A+3

therefore: (E+3) = 2*(A+3) ---> 2A - E = -3

Solving both equations simultaneously: A = 13 and E = 29

Therefore sum of their ages = 13+29 = 42

Ans- E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 16:41
sunnysid wrote:
skylimit wrote:
These questions make my head spin. Even if I make a table like they suggest, I don't fill it in correctly.
I've been trying to test answers for a lot of the word problems questions but it doesn't always work or I don't know how to do it right.



These kind of questions become really easy if you stick to the basic principle of fixing the current age and then use it as a reference to draw equation with given condition, be it in the past or future.

Consider the current age of Ebu= E & that of Atu= A.

Now look at the 1st condition: i.e. 5 years ago.
5 years ago, Ebu would be (E-5) yrs old and Atu- (A-5) yrs.

therefore: (E-5) = 3*(A-5) ---> 3A - E = 10

From the 2nd condition, Ebu = E+3 and Atu = A+3

therefore: (E+3) = 2*(A+3) ---> 2A - E = -3

Solving both equations simultaneously: A = 13 and E = 29

Therefore sum of their ages = 13+29 = 42

Ans- E


Thanks sunnysid,

Your solution was pretty much the same as the video explanation.
Is there a way to test the answers for this question? I know it's trickier when they ask to find the sum, but ....
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 21:41
Hi skylimit,

Only certain questions can be easily-solved by TESTing THE ANSWERS. One of the factors that you have to be paying careful attention to is what the specific question asks you to figure out; in almost all cases, you have to be solving for just 1 variable. In this prompt, we're asked for the sum of 2 variables, so it's not a great candidate for TESTing THE ANSWERS.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 09:15
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi skylimit,

Only certain questions can be easily-solved by TESTing THE ANSWERS. One of the factors that you have to be paying careful attention to is what the specific question asks you to figure out; in almost all cases, you have to be solving for just 1 variable. In this prompt, we're asked for the sum of 2 variables, so it's not a great candidate for TESTing THE ANSWERS.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I can appreciate that.
I was trying to find a relationship between the 2 variables but it's tricky because we don't know info about their ages now. So I was taking each answer and adding 6 (3 yrs for each person) and then trying to use that new number and make it work with the info we have about 3 years from now.
That's when my head spinning started.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2835
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 10:24
2
skylimit wrote:
5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be twice as old as Atu. What is the sum of their ages now?
A) 18
B) 24
C) 28
D) 35
E) 42


We can let E = the age of Ebu today and A = the age of Atu today. Five years ago, Ebu was (E - 5) and Atu was (A - 5).

Since 5 years ago Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu, we can create the following equation:

E - 5 = 3(A - 5)

E - 5 = 3A - 15

E = 3A - 10

In 3 years, Ebo will be (E + 3) and Atu will be (A + 3). Since in 3 years Ebo will be twice as old as Atu, we can create the following equation:

E + 3 = 2(A + 3)

E + 3 = 2A + 6

E = 2A + 3

Since E = 3A - 10 and E = 2A + 3, we can equate them and determine A:

3A - 10 = 2A + 3

A = 13

Since A = 13, E = 3(13) - 10 = 29, and thus, the sum of their ages is 13 + 29 = 42.

Answer: E
_________________

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8177
Premium Member
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 09:16
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be &nbs [#permalink] 21 Jun 2018, 09:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

5 years ago, Ebu was 3 times as old as Atu. In 3 years, Ebo will be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.