Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [41]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Re: 520 to 710 - My adventures with the GMAT! [#permalink]
great stuff how often did you go into the advanced sections in the Manhattan Math books
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Congratz!

I'm also using Veritas's SC guides. These are quite helpful..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
chambax wrote:

the GMAT is finite - the GMAT Deja vu factor
The most motivating thing I read on this forum about the GMAT (mainly quant) is that it is 100% finite. There are a limited amount of concepts that the test makers will test you on so during your preparation all you have to do is make sure that you try and cover the majority of this "finite syllabus" several times over.

On the same note, it follows that you will have an amazing amount of deja Vus whilst doing practice questions and CATs, the same concepts and questions just keep coming up and that is exactly what the GMAT is testing you on. How well can you study for something?

I think the GMAT test makers would phrase this as follows> "I am giving you a number of Original GMAT questions with answers to revise. Go and study them inside out. Then come back in a couple months and I'll give you a set of similar questions and see how you do" - This realization is key to your revision! They aren't testing you on random math to see how good your spontaneous random math is... there is a fixed set of concepts they want you to know!

My actual GMAT was like one ongoing deja vu... I felt like i had already done 75% of the questions before...

Congratulations and thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Could you be more specific on that? How did you achieve that? From what I've read on the forum so far and from my own experience with SAT it's quite surprising. Most people say that the variety of questions is so huge that you'll never feel comfortable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General, Marketing, Leadership
Schools:IESE, Spain; Booth (Chicago); Ross (Michigan)
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GREAT post and congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your posts!
Quote:
1) Please share the link of word problems and upload the worksheet prepared by you.
2) How close were the knewton tests to the real one?.
3) Do you think practicing OG's multiple times is a good strategy? The reason I m asking this question is, many users have claimed that actual test is tougher than OG/ GMATPREP. Please include both verbal and quant for this suggestion.

1) - I'll post the worksheet I prepared when i get home from work today. This was really helpful in terms of recognizing common algebraic factoring!

2) When i took the Knewton course i was still in the GMAT underworld, and was still scoring under par so I can't really say how accurate they are. I think the Verbal was pretty dead on - I got the same average Knewton score on my actual GMAT. and scored a 99th percentile on Knewton as well as on the GMAT PREP 2 so Verbal seems prettz safe. Quant scoring seemed a bit harsh. The only annoying thing about the Knewton CATs is that you can't analyse your weaknesses and tempo like you can with MGMAT CATs... i.e. you can't generate an analysis/summary of all your CATs and identify what specific topics you have issues with the most and what your "best" and "worst" areas are. This is why I do think MGMAT CATs are good, because they help you learn a great deal, but just don't place much emphasis on scoring well on them!

3) You are right, I think once you are scoring above around 44 Quant only the last 40 or so OG questions are representative of the type of question you'll see on the actual test. So there isn't much use in practicing them all multiple times. But I did do the last 40 of each section at least 2 and most of them 3 times (I did the last 40 PS questions in the OG12 and OG quant 3 times in timed conditions). Instead of doing all of the questions multiple times I would recommend Veritas if you can get your hands on the books. The question difficulty is very similar to the last 40 questions of the quant sections in the OG so I thought it was much better practice to see fresh questions that test similar concepts as a reasonable level of difficulty. The veritas books also have "Challenge sets" which are sets of 20 or 30 problems which are relatively difficult.

Quote:
great stuff how often did you go into the advanced sections in the Manhattan Math books

I always did the whole book! Even If you learn one thing, that might mean one more question on your actual GMAT. Although some of the advanced chapters are a bit too focused on strange problems, the methodology that they use is useful and it doesn't hurt to be able to tackle strange questions.

Quote:
Congratulations and thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Could you be more specific on that? How did you achieve that? From what I've read on the forum so far and from my own experience with SAT it's quite surprising. Most people say that the variety of questions is so huge that you'll never feel comfortable.

I don't mean that the questions were exactly questions I had solved before but the majority were based around the same rubric/structure so when I solved them in the exam it felt like I had already followed the same approach several times before. When I saw certain questions I used exactly the same approach as I used on many practice questions. E.g. Work problems usually look similar and very often ask for the rate of one of the machines given total rate or total rate given individual rates… once you have done enough work and rate problems it will hard for the test-writer to really surprise you (as in "holy cow I have never seen a rate question like this before"). And exponents questions are all really similar. You usually have a number, and a variable in the exponent, and that equals a few other numbers to other exponents, maybe with the same variable… then you solve for the variable. Those questions can always be solved in the same exact way (reduce to common base, get the variable on one side and then solve) and when you see them in the test it will feel like you already did it before. But the premise is that you have to do tons of practice!! I did about 2,500 to 3,000 practice questions (sounds like a lot but in 4 months it is totally doable – 2 or 3 times OG 12 quant questions approx 300 x 3 = 900, OG-Quant green book 2 times = 300 x 2, Knewton course = don't know how many but at least 400 quant, CATs = 10 CATs x 37 questions each, Veritas books = approx 150 questions each book) – But don't take that as discouragement, rather my point is once again that the GMAT is finite and learnable, the more questions you do the more these two points will become more obvious. The test makers are also human!

I hope that helped, let me know if you have more questions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
chambax, thanks for answering my questions. Solving 3,000 questions is certainly a great preparation. No doubt that most of the questions looked very familiar to you (I mean category-solution wise).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Congratulations chambax. Great Post. +1 to you.

my problem is that I am struggling both in Quant and Verbal...:(...so have to give time to both

I will look forward to the word problems link and the worksheet you prepared. Congrats again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
very encouraging
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General, Marketing, Leadership
Schools:IESE, Spain; Booth (Chicago); Ross (Michigan)
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
Congratulations chambax. Great Post. +1 to you.

my problem is that I am struggling both in Quant and Verbal...:(...so have to give time to both

I will look forward to the word problems link and the worksheet you prepared. Congrats again.

Don't give up! You should know that hard work PAYS on the GMAT! I'm saying this from personal experience!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
WOW

I literally read EVERYTHING on this site but rarely post... This was a fantasticly motivating write-up. I agree with Skip, if I could give you 100 kudos I would too, but just 1 will have to suffice.

I'm taking the test june30 and myself have been struggling with the Q (~43). My V has been ~40 but i'm much more worried about the Q (would ideally like to get in the 47+ bracket. My study gameplan seems to mimic yours almost identically and I literally was agreeing with every sentence you wrote so I had to reply!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I wish you the best of luck going forward!

And thank you GMAT CLUB for making this all possible!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations!!! I will add the kudos to the pile :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
chambax wrote:

Improving your quant from a 22 to a 47

up to 35> multiplication tables, common squares, common square roots, common formulas (circles, area, circumference, average etc), flash cards with basic concepts (e.g. highest prime number under 100, 2 is a prime number, how to calculate the LCM, GCF. If you are scoring under 30 you are lacking really some absolute fundamental knowledge about things like prime numbers, averages, and percentages. I brushed up on this stuff by using flash cards.

Up to 44> MGMAT guides, MGMAT guides, MGMAT guides, MGMAT guides, MGMAT guides. If you are under 44 there is still stuff you have to learn, concepts you haven’t covered or haven’t learned how to implement when confronted with a question. So theory is good but at 44 you have to try and bridge it with question practice.

Up to 47> after 44 you basically know most of the stuff you need to know so all you need is practice practice practice. I did about 3 or 4 40 question problem sets every day for 9 days before my exam and redid problem sets I didn’t feel comfortable with. This rapid fire way of solving problem after problem was fundamental in getting past my 44 rut.
I also started thinking and talking to myself a lot more when doing problems to try and reduce silly mistakes. Once I solved a question I would rethink it at the end and then ask myself “does my answer actually answer the question”? I saved myself from making at least 4 mistakes during my actual GMAT by asking that question – e.g. if it asked for Bill’s age in 2 years and I solved for Bill’s age now…

The above summary is one of the best i have read here. Cheers!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
we are waiting for the attachments.... :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Edit> worksheet posted in my original post above!
[strike]Here we go friends, sorry it took so long. Have to catch a train in 15 minutes so can't describe the worksheets much but have a look and if you have any questions let me know![/strike]

Originally posted by chambax on 23 May 2010, 02:04.
Last edited by chambax on 24 May 2010, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
ahhhh i'm getting an error that the worksheet with answers is too large to post!
gonna have to post it when I get back from my travels on monday!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Edit> I posted the worksheet and the worksheet with answers in my original post (see above!)
Hey friends, right so I posted the worksheet I used and the worksheet with answers in my original post.

I highly recommend using the worksheet or preparing one yourself. Whenever I encountered a recurring concept such as difference of squares or representing a remainder algebraeically, I added it to my worksheet. These things represent my specific weaknesses so you might want to use the idea of having a similar worksheet but adapt it to strenghten your specific weaknesses. The factoring sheets were particularly useful as they represent the "toolbox" you need to be able to break down algebraic equations or FOIL common quadratics easily.

I printed about 20 copies of the empty worksheet I attached previously and filled it out as a "warm-up" every 2 or 3 days. That way you make sure you don't forget e.g. the triangle inquality even if you don't see any questions that test it specifically over a certain amount of time.

This type of preparation is most useful if you are under 40-44.... because If you aren't hitting that range you still have fundamentals to learn and still can't recognize basic algebraic structures that the GMAT tests...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I thought I might as well attach the flashcards I used for my initial prep.

As with the math worksheets, I only recommend this type of preparation for Quant if you are under 40 points. If you are under 40 points then I really think that flashcards and worksheets can be a big help - it can be hard to learn from question practice if you don't have a rock solid understanding of the basics.

The verbal cards are only Idioms which I reviewed the night before my actual exam.

Hope this helps!

@moderators> is there any way I can attach the flash cards to my original post above? apparently you can only attach 2 files, but I have seen posts with more...?
Attachments

GMAT Verbal Flashcards IDIOMS.pdf [42.47 KiB]
Downloaded 249 times

GMAT Math Flashcards.pdf [70.35 KiB]
Downloaded 265 times

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts