Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1567 [1539]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [30]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [7]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Re: 550 to 750 - How YOU can be just as successful [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats! Quite the accomplishment. Thanks for a most inspiring post!

Originally posted by anstance5 on 29 Mar 2010, 14:59.
Last edited by anstance5 on 29 Apr 2011, 13:06, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
commendable job friend..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [9]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
risys82 wrote:
I just finished taking the exam for the 2nd time. Proud to report that I scored a 750 (49Q, 44V). Last month I took it to get a 690 (47Q, 38V). My goal for the 2nd retake was to just hit 700 since I was sooo close.

I'll be honest, a 750 was more than I could have ever hoped for in a million years. I have always been mediocre at taking standardized exams, both my math and verbal skills are mediocre at best. When doing practice tests, as well as on the actual exam, I have never finished the exam completely. I am a slow thinker, and require a lot of time on exams, or I don't finish. Therefore when I saw my score, I was a little bit in shock. I guess I got lucky.

I did not do any additional preparation from my first exam and second exam, so if anything, I was afraid that I would get a worse score, since my GMAT knowledge and test taking skills would have stagnated within a month's time. I did do a little prayer before the second exam, so that might have helped a little bit.

May be you are just being too humble and modest. Slow thinker, mediocre math and verbal skills, definitely aren't your trait with the kind of scores you have accomplished. If you know the secret of your performance, kindly let us know. Poor souls like me are getting even more pathetic losing concentration and confidence day-after-day upon practising mock tests after tests.

Certain question types for which, when I just don't recollect the approach to solving for an answer, I get stuck, panic sets in, and I still don't know what else to do. This had happened the first time I gave the test, and is just repeating once in a while on mock tests.

Anyways, congratulations on your fabulous score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1567 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
I've updated my original post with my test tips. If I can score a 700+, then anyone can.

Originally posted by risys82 on 30 Mar 2010, 10:54.
Last edited by risys82 on 30 Mar 2010, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [5]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
risys82 wrote:
I've updated my original post with my test tips. If anyone I can score a 700+, then anyone can.

Tremendous improvement, you have really motivated me. +1 for you and good luck with your application. Do keep us updated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools:SSE, LSE
 Q48  V37
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats, You really deserve it and I thank you for your great post. Tells me that I am on the right way, which in my opinion is really important to be sure of once a while.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I have been follow this earnestly. Congratz on your development, man. I wish I can follow suit.

All in all, you deserved the great score.
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats! man. Hard work does payoff and good luck for your application process especially essays :). And yea do keep us updated with your application process. Are you international candidate? if yes from where? And yea, your debrief added to my collection of good & motivational debriefs.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is the best post I could have seen on the eve of my test day. Really. I had a horrific final practice test on Monday that shook my confidence after I started panicking over questions I didnt know, etc, and lost the confidence that had when I scored my highest practice test (680). Thankfully Ive leveled in the last day and am happily reviewing tonight and actually looking forward to the test tomorrow but wow- I really appreciate your advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats !

What made the difference between the 690 and 750 scores ? What did you do during this month between both tests ? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1567 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
chouky wrote:
Congrats !

What made the difference between the 690 and 750 scores ? What did you do during this month between both tests ? Thanks

To be honest, I didn't really do anything different from my 690 to 750. My 690 on the first exam consisted of 47Q and 38V. The 47Q was about on par with what I was getting on my practice tests, so I was satisfied with that score. However, on most of my practice tests I was starting to see that my verbal score was more in the vicinity of 40 or 41. As such, I knew off the bat that I had underperformed the first time I took the test and I should probably have been in the low 700 range. Since, my verbal score was lower than expected, I decided to dedicate some more time to sentence correction, reading comprehension, and critical reasoning. I knew I wouldn't be able to raise my quantitative score significantly since I had already put in a ton of study there, and felt I had just about reached my limit. That is not to say I ignored quantitative during my one month study. I simply continued to do the same thing, more in order to prevent myself from forgetting concepts and strategies than anything. I did the same questions over again, and rereviewed the MGMAT books. On test day, my verbal improved from 38 to 44 and even my quantitative went up from 47 to 49 points, I guess from the additional month of study.

Originally posted by risys82 on 31 Mar 2010, 09:43.
Last edited by risys82 on 06 Apr 2010, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Kudos
excellent advice and excellent progress. best of luck on your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
risys82 wrote:
chouky wrote:
Congrats !

I didn't really do anything different from my 690 to 750. My 690 on the first exam consisted of 47Q and 38V. The 47Q was about on par with what I was getting on my practice tests, so I was satisfied with that score. However, on most of my practice tests I was starting to see that my verbal score was more in the vicinity of 40 or 41. As such, I knew off the bat that I had underperformed the first time I took the test and I should be in the low 700 range. Therefore, I didn't really change anything in my strategy for the one month up to my 750. I simply continued to do the same thing, more in order to prevent myself from forgetting concepts and strategies than anything. I did the same questions over again, and rereviewed the MGMAT books. No real changes to my strategy.

Ok, Thanks !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [6]
Given Kudos: 19
 Q40  V35 GMAT 2: 670  Q44  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent debrief.

I can vouch for the accuracy of nearly all your major takeaways:

-MGMAT is the the best source for building foundational concepts, bar none.
-MGMAT CATs are useful, but hard subtle differences that make them unreflective of OG material.
-OG is thee source for questions and calibrating your pacing/identifying weak spots.
-Error logs = overrated.
-recognize questions that are too difficult for you and quickly make an educated guess. Do not let the fact that you had to guess rattle you moving forward.
-Have a strategy to manage test anxiety

There are more tips I agree with here, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

An outstanding review, easily the most useful one I've seen since joining. Great work.

I can relate to not being super gifted with natural smarts but making up for it in other ways like hard work and tenacity. I think many other on here could as well and this post could be very a good motivating lift for them. You are proof that if you want it bad enough you can work to get it. A 690 is a great score that many would be happy with but you took it to another level because you believed in yourself. Phenonemal stuff.

Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Quote:
The same question types tested in the official questions are frequently tested on the actual exam, the the test writers are lazy or lack the desire to make significant changes to the problems.

are you saying memorize the og questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
Kudos
Great post. I read this when I begin to get frustrated with my studies. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
How did you work? Did you just allocate 1 week to problem solving, then 1 week to DS, etc. Or did you work a little bit of everything every day?

Concerning the error log, you maybe wrote too much info into it, and it was killing your pace. I keep one, but only write the mistakes I made, it also helps me identify recurring questions that show up and which I do not have the knowledge to solve, therefore I have been putting more focus on these weak points.

Regards, and thanks for your feedback.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts