Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [69]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 560 to 740(Q50 V40 IR8) in ~6 months. Not a story of miracles. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Seriousthistime,

If you're looking for advice on this next phase of your studies, then you would likely find it useful to start your own post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one). As such, you might want to post a new message in General GMAT Strategies:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/general-gmat ... ategies-1/

You should include any relevant information on your prior studies, Test scores, Goals, timeline, etc. If you would prefer to discuss your situation privately, then you can feel free to PM or email me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Congratulations on a wonderful score. Thanks for a very nice debrief. You make nice points and provide useful insights. I liked your point regarding "Empathy"!! Were you working full time or studying full time?

All the best for your admissions!!

I was/am working full time. I was able to balance work (9horus of work + 2 hours in travel) along with GMAT prep. But social life took a hit. :tongue_opt1

Clueless about admissions though. Trying to find the right course for me.

Thank you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Send PM
gautham0615 wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Congratulations on a wonderful score. Thanks for a very nice debrief. You make nice points and provide useful insights. I liked your point regarding "Empathy"!! Were you working full time or studying full time?

I was/am working full time. I was able to balance work (9horus of work + 2 hours in travel) along with GMAT prep. But social life took a hit. :tongue_opt1

Clueless about admissions though. Trying to find the right course for me.

Thank you.

Oh, that's really commendable effort!! So did you take exam leave during the end of your prep?

Wishing you all the very best for your admissions!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Nice debrief and Congratulations gautham0615 on the great score! :)
Best of luck for your applications!

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Send PM
gautham0615 wrote:
I took like a couple of days off the week before the GMAT.

To be honest, in this regard.. my preferences are not common. I am generally not able to stay at home an entire day. I dont like being indoors, specifically my home. So if you can take off from work and study peacefully for longer durations, it is obviously beneficial!

Okay, nice!! kudos to you for pulling out a very good score and maintaining a proper overall work-life-study balance!!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Congratulations gautham0615. Excellent debrief! Very helpful to read your experience with Verbal preparation in detail.

You mentioned that you were not able to finish the Verbal section. Did you mean to say you randomly guessed and moved on or you did not even get a shot at those last few questions in the Verbal section?

If it is the latter, then I really need to put some thought into picking the section order, since I'm worried about the test center and all the gimmicks that might get to me and waste some time on Verbal if taken first while others type away on the AWA section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
nkin wrote:
Congratulations gautham0615. Excellent debrief! Very helpful to read your experience with Verbal preparation in detail.

You mentioned that you were not able to finish the Verbal section. Did you mean to say you randomly guessed and moved on or you did not even get a shot at those last few questions in the Verbal section?

If it is the latter, then I really need to put some thought into picking the section order, since I'm worried about the test center and all the gimmicks that might get to me and waste some time on Verbal if taken first while others type away on the AWA section.

I had 4 questions remaining with 10 seconds. I wanted to guess all 4, but I think I guessed only 1 or 2. I started reading the options to guess better. Rookie mistake.

Yes, if you're not comfortable taking tests in a noisy environment, you are banking on the fact that the noise cancelling headphones will work for you. If you want, you can try that headphone first (while reading the terms and conditions and the other initial screens), and if that works for you, you can do verbal first too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Congratulations!! Thats a great score.

Thanks for a great debrief! Do you mind posting your practice mock tests & scores.

All the best for applications!

Cheers,
GyM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Congratulations gautham0615 on such an amazing feet . A truly inspiring well-written story . I really liked the way you have identified the correlation between GMAT & empathy and then worked on the same to propel you to success. Although you have mentioned that the IR & RC came along naturally, it would be great for our community if you can add a bit more tips on those two topics . Community would also love to have some more direction in Q as well.

Congrats again. All the best for the app-process :thumbup: :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
u1983 wrote:
Congratulations gautham0615 on such an amazing feet . A truly inspiring well-written story . I really liked the way you have identified the correlation between GMAT & empathy and then worked on the same to propel you to success. Although you have mentioned that the IR & RC came along naturally, it would be great for our community if you can add a bit more tips on those two topics . Community would also love to have some more direction in Q as well.

Congrats again. All the best for the app-process :thumbup: :thumbup:

To be honest, this is something I cannot offer an educated opinion on. IR is basically verbal and quant, and anyone who is comfortable with both would automatically be comfortable with IR. That was the case with me. IR is fun. It literally is puzzle solving and I like solving puzzles :tongue_opt1

In RC, I would take 5 minutes to read the passage thoroughly, obviously not focusing on the details and data but on the author's sentiment towards the topic. I would take less than a minute to answer each question that followed. This is not any method that I found online and then incorporated, this is the only way I know to do RC's and I didn't face any limitation doing it my way.

No experience to share about quant prep too, the concepts tested are 10th grade mathematics in my country. So it's something I had a lot of exposure on already.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and strategy. It is inspiring in uncountable number of ways. Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for your tips and insights.

I have taken the month off to take my GMAT at the end of the month.

I have been on and off on this GMAT for years now. Having taken my first GMAT last year, I think I can skip most of the learning and familiarizing steps. Focus on solving and do some intensive note taking and then tackle the speed quotient.

Taking away a lot from this post.

Good luck with our admissions and keep us posted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congrats and thanks for sharing! I can totally relate about the noisy keyboards of others part. There were even some takers of other tests at the center I was at (like for SATs and stuff). Also there was a person who sat next to me who kept blowing their nose, and kept sighing, and I was just thinking, OMG, if you have a cold, why did you come here... to infect everybody else? Good thing we were in cubicles and it was blocked off, otherwise I think it could have been even more distracting. The sighing part also didn't help--I think this took concentration off for at least 5 min in aggregate.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts