Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agent_777,
If ever I have to give an example of perseverance, it would be yours.
Hats off to your persistence efforts.Don't feel disheartened.GMAT is not the be all and the end all of the all the things.If you do decide to go for another try then that should be it.You have already have 7 attempts and thats one too many.So this time prepare doubly well and as Ash said dont register for the test till you see some 680-700 scores in practice tests.If possible financially and location wise..go for a Kaplan or Princeton classroom course.I think these courses would be the ideal vehicle to launch you into the 650-700 range that you so desire.Again, dont give up hope.Let the force be with you.

-Vivek.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys thank you very much for the words of encouragement!

As you know you are not allowed to take the GMAT more than five times within one year, otherwise a special permission from ETS is needed. I am going to take the TOEFL in a month, then write essays and submit the application with the highest score I could reach. Hope dies last.
If evaluated my application an admission committee consider me a good candidate and advise me to retake the test I will request permission from ETS.

As to Kaplan and PR courses I talked to people who took them and they say that almost all they learnt from those courses they could have found in the books. I’ve done tons of materials related to the GMAT: OG, Kaplan, GMAT 800 by Kaplan, PR, “Verbal Workout” by PR, Peterson, GMAT+ and a LSAT book. I know the strategies to crack SC, CR and RC. Also I actively searched through this web site. In the verbal thread I would open 10-15 questions in different windows, start a stopwatch, solve the questions, then compare my answers with participants’ and always read explanations. Believe me, many of my answers were the same as participants’, especially in SC’s.

I guess my low verbal score on two last tests might be careless mistakes in the first and last questions. I did those tests pretty confidently, but pacing yourself to answer all question I might have made those mistakes. I totally agree with the people who assume that last few questions are also very important. Read the boldface part of the paragraph #4 in the General Test – taking Suggestions in OG (page #11). I’ll cite it for those who don’t have OG: “ Keep moving through the test and try to finish each section. There is a chance that guessing at the end of the test can seriously lower your score. The best strategy is to pace yourself so that you have time to consider each test question, so you don’t have to guess.”

Guys I’m gonna take some rest, but continue to visit this nice web site.

My regards,

Agent
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Re: 580 (Q49, V20) My GMAT experience [#permalink]
Agent_777 wrote:
Reading posts I noticed people claim about strange DS question with two rectangles that appeared #1 or 2 on the test. I also got this question. It’s not so difficult as it seems to be, if you know principals of geometry.

Yes, in fact I am one of them. I got this DS.
the first day I was complaining about it, saying that it was just a crazy question, maybe an experimental one ; however by the second day I've already known the way to solve it...

I was just very suprised by the question, maybe I didn't know what to do so I've though about a lof of things without really taking time to analyze the question and the data. Now, I realize the question was just normal. Too bad, it's too late... :roll:

But my post was more to explain that ETS also put things that you've never seen sometimes so be prepared to be in panic..you have to understand that it will happen, you have to assume that there might be a moment when you won't have any clue or when you will not know what to do..at that time you need to (try to) stay quiet and take every information one by one to find the way to solve the question..

good luck and don't worry agent 777, I score 570 with exactly the same problem than you (bad verbal)... just take time to improve your verbal skills and come back stronger ! :!:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Agent, I must say that your GMAT quest is quite an inspiring one. Reading it really moved me and I believe that your perseverance should really pay off one day. I can definitely see your quant skills improving and with a little verbal practice, you should reach at least your target 650 score. Well at least, with a 49Q and a 27V combined, you should get something close to 650.
Your quant is strong now, what you should do next is focus on verbal. Forget about quant for a few months or just work on it momentarily, not continuously. I DO believe that it is possible to increase your verbal score if you put in the same effort as you did to increase your math skills. One thing I can recommend you is actively participate in this forum and ask questions. You will see all kind of people willing to help you and clear your doubts on fundamental concepts; it is what will help you furthur your verbal skills.
My friend, you have come a long way from 25Q to 49Q :war, not everyone can do that, and should you only put in the same effort to verbal(I know it is really boring to study verbal but it is part of the whole :roll: ) you should see your efforts pay off.

All the best,

Paul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys many thanks again for your warm words!

Paul you are one of the most active participants. Seeing your answers, nice explanations and hints on this web site I suppose that at least 700 score is waiting for you on the test :-D

My regards,

Agent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Agent_777,
Would you please tell me the title of the LSAT book you used for the GMAT verbal section?
Thank you in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agent,

I admire your patience and perseverance. I think with little more effort you will achieve your goal.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
To Vira,

Thanks, I hope so!

To h2000,

"The Big Book of Real LSAT's" by The Princeton Review.
The book contains 20 real LSATs, but without explanations to the answers.

My regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agent_777 wrote:
Guys many thanks again for your warm words!

Paul you are one of the most active participants. Seeing your answers, nice explanations and hints on this web site I suppose that at least 700 score is waiting for you on the test :-D

My regards,

Agent

Hi agent
As far as the hard work goes, you are amazing.
Just remember one thing, no matter however much infinite amount of hard work u may put into taming the gmat cat , at last its the strategy of approaching the CBT on the test day is the only most important remedy for low scorers on the gmat cat and would surely help u get a much above 650 score. Specifically concentrate, hard and very hard on the first 10 questions on verbal section as well as quant section, and if you could even get the first 8 of the 10 question correct in both of the section , than much of the objective is already achieved.

Hope u achieve your dream score soon.
Marine
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts