Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: 590 (Q34 V36) --> 730 (Q50 V38) in 29 days [#permalink]
Hi Tring375, good observation. Actually, I would prefer a "more balanced score" such as Q48/49 and V40+. Here's my theory:

I think the Quant section (Verbal too, but for me I always had more time-management problems with Quant section) is all about time management. Because we cannot use calculators or MATLAB (to run simulations etc), you need to be wise about how to approach each problem. That said, I don't think any of the Quant problems are difficult because most people can solve 99-100% of the problems if they just had more time.

So I learned to make quick, educated guesses if I got stuck on a problem too long (1.5- 2 minutes). I tried to stick to the time management guideline in Manhattan GMAT Roadmap. It's tempting because let's say you are stuck on a Data Sufficiency problem, and you need to test out different ranges of x (say x<-1, x=-1, -1<x<0, 0<x<1, x>1). Let's say 1.5 minutes into the problem, you realize that you made a calculation mistake. Then do you go back and re-test everything? It's a tough decision. Well, more importantly, you shouldn't have made that calculation error in the first place. But under time pressure, I found myself making lots of calculation errors too.

I think over time, I learned to make better decisions. Also, I noticed that the amount of time I sleep has a good correlation with the quality of decisions I make as well as with my calculation accuracy under time pressure. I took GMAT Prep #2 on 6.5 hours of sleep. The night before GMAT, I slept 10 hours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
serpent333 wrote:
I think over time, I learned to make better decisions. Also, I noticed that the amount of time I sleep has a good correlation with the quality of decisions I make as well as with my calculation accuracy under time pressure. I took GMAT Prep #2 on 6.5 hours of sleep. The night before GMAT, I slept 10 hours.

Hi Serpent333,
It is amazing how the test scores vary with the mental well being or conditioning. A relaxed mind vs tired, alert vs fatigued body- the scores bare it at all levels. To give a rough analogy, Spain recently got beaten by Brazil 3-0 in cup final football match. It was mind-boggling to hear the result at first notice. But wait, what was the reason the best team in the world got defeated so emphatically?
Apparently, Spain were exhausted after their marathon match with Italy just a couple of days earlier, while Brazil had more rest days.
I dont know if it is done on purpose, but Gmat punishes you consistently for being in a poor mental or physical conditioning. The former cause is understandable but the latter cause is amazing, you have to give it to the gmac guys who do it so effectively!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
First off, congrats serpent333 for the terrific score and improvement in only a month! Your debrief will hopefully help some other people looking to make similar improvements in their scores.

I can't say for sure whether you can get a 5.5+ with only two body paragraphs on the AWA, in theory yes if they're particularly well supported. If you end up with something like a 5, I don't think it's a big concern, especially with a 700+ GMAT score. I'd only be worried if it was below a 4, which is highly unlikely with such a strong GMAT score as it's basically the same verbal concepts tested in long-answer form. Please keep us advised on your official AWA score when it comes in the mail.

Also, the GMAT exam is entirely designed to reward those who are fresh and well rested. It's an exam of relatively simple concepts asked in confusing ways to see who can break through the clutter and the fluff. On top of that, it's like 4 hours long, so if you were feeling fresh in hour one you may not be so into it by hour four. Anything less than total mental focus can only drop your score. I'm not quite seeing the "being physically in shape" aspect tring375 mentioned, unless you just mean sleeping well and therefore being rested. The GMAT doesn't give extra points for having abs or big arms, although it may be worth doing an experiment in that regard!

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your encouraging comments, Ron. I ended up getting a 5 on the AWA.

I agree with Tring 375 and Ron regarding how the GMAT exam is designed to reward those who are fresh and well rested. I like the Brazil vs Spain football match analogy. :)

By the way, what would you say is an appropriate IR score?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts