Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: 610 third attempt, how painful will that be ? [#permalink]
linhvn wrote:
Dear GMAT clubbers,

Although my score is far away to be as impressive as all the 7xx's scorers, I would like your sound advice on what to do next.

So far, I have taken the test 3 times:
2007: 530 (Q35/V27)
2009: 570 (Q35/V34)
2010 (today): 610 (Q39/V35)

One can see that it has not been an easy ride for me! I have been studying the GMAT (again) since july 2009 and have used all the MGMAT books, OG 11 and 12, OG Verbal and Quant review and Powerscore CR Bible.

Although I try to focus on the fact that my scores are increasing, I feel very bored and exhausted now and wonder if it would be worth to take the test a 4th time. Putting aside all the other aspects of my apps, I would like to have your advice: is it realistic to think that my score can improve over 40 points within a month ? My major problem has been with quant. I always score lower during the real test than during my practice tests:

MGMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
Gmatprep 1: 600 Q44 V28
Real gmat 2009: 570 Q35 V34 (super stressed)
Gmatprep 2: 690 Q44 V40
Gmatprep 3: 610 Q43 V31

Has anyone have similar experiences and if so, what do you think I should do ?

Thanks !!

Hi linhvn,

Have you only used books for preparation? What have been your study methods? Have you made lists of all the problems that you've missed in practice tests and categorized them according to topic? Sometimes simple things like a more systematic approach to studying can help with push you to the next level.

If you have any friends who are high scorers, you may want to ask them if they are available to walk you through their process to see if you can gain any insight. Another alternative is always private tutoring.

All of this being said, many consultants suggest simply focusing on your application if you are within 50 points of the needed score on your GMAT. With one month before the application, it may be better if you spend that time honing your essays and explaining why you are an excellent candidate for your target program.

If you would like help with either your essays or with tutoring, let us know. We offer a discount to candidates coming from GMAT club so be sure to mention this thread!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
^ wow, so sorry to read about your troubles. You said that you were doing the Quant studying backasswards - can you elaborate on that? I am taking the test on April 10 and started studying this week - I'm doing about 4 hours per weeknight and 8 hours on saturdays. I am using almost the exact materials that you used.

PS, for those schools, I am sure a 620 would get you in assuming that your work experience and undergrad performance were at or above those schools averages for the incoming class. I would compare my details with the class profile and focus on the essays and making myself stand out. This is my plan for the school I'm applying to :)

I am only looking to score about a 500-600... I have strong work experience and strong undergrad record and feel that with the minimal score for the school's program (avg was a 610 I believe), I should be able to get in without an issue.
- tsd
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Backasswards meaning I should have studied the MGMAT books (Numb Prop, Word Trans, FDP) before I tried to take the GMAT Test Clubs. I was basically trying to do hard questions without knowing how. I was trying to LEARN from the GMAT Test Clubs, which really isn't what those tests are designed for. The tests are designed to give you practice with solving multiple hard questions in a row under a time pressured environment. The learning by using the tests is near impossible... The explanations aren't really the greatest. Even the forums don't help much. I really had to learn through the books, solve the chapter questions, practice the topic problems that were in the OG, go back and make sure my foundations were solid, THEN start practicing the GMAT test club. I had no solid foundation of quant fundamentals when I took those tests, so basically I was shooting in the dark for half the questions.

My work experience isn't the most elaborate. I have 1 year as an office peon at a hospital in Dallas at a transplant center (non-major related) and 1 year working at a restaurant where I assisted in several marketing promotions that really did help improve the restaurant's image/sales revenue. I'm going to start submitting applications this weekend.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not to be pessimistic, but if you still want to improve your score after 3!!! times and you feel you've done everything you could (after 3 times and $750 later), the easier, more effective, and cheaper (yes) way is to take a prep class. $1K-1.5K is a lot of money but it is pocket change compared to $50K tuition and $40K living expenses.

gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts