GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

620 Diagnostic to 690 and finally 750 debrief

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge
620 Diagnostic to 690 and finally 750 debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 19:54
So the day I wasn't even sure would come is finally here, my GMAT journey is thankfully finished. I just finished my 2nd attempt this morning and received a 750 (Q48 V44) the debriefs and all the other threads here helped so much I figured I'd do one to in hopes of helping someone out. I started out back in October with a quick 30 minute skim of gmat questions and refreshing my memory on high school geometry then I took a diagnostic GMATPrep and scored 620 I don't remember the exact breakdown but i was something around Q 35 V40. For all of October I read through all the Manhattan quant guides as well as the SC guide after the first week of November though I didn't study at all until the week before Christmas.

So my first exam was the second week of January but I hadn't even looked at GMAT stuff since November I really should've studied more or postponed the test but I decided to go for it anyway so from around Christmas to test day I studied as much as I could. Despite reading the quant guides and doing the suggested questions my quant score wasn't improving and I was getting around Q 40 on the Manhattan tests going into my test. On my first test I came away with a 690 (Q43 V42) which was higher than I thought I would get but not high enough for a PhD program.

After my first exam I knew I had to figure out a strategy to improve my quant score and since it was a busy time for my work I had a few months to decide on my next step. I ended up using EmpowerGmat when they had a sale I got 3 months plus exam packs 1 & 2 of Gmat tests at the start of May. Even though I consider myself a self learner my previous method didn't work so I started EmpowerGmat by just going in order through the videos. About halfway through I was running low on time so I focused on doing the quant modules and skipped the RC and CR ones since I was already strong there. I can't tell you how much I love EmpowerGmat, the videos were great and the problem sets with video explanations by EMPOWERgmatRichC really helped me improve my quant score. Watching a video for missed questions that goes step by step so I'm not left guessing how a formula works or where numbers came from really helped, I even watched most videos for ones I got right just to see if there was a faster approach.

After restarting my studies in May with both exam packs I began taking more exams to gauge my ability.
Exam Pack 1 Exam 1 670
Exam Pack 1 Exam 2 710 Q45 V 42
Exam Pack 2 Exam 6 660 Q 43 V 38 don't know what happened here
Default Exams 2 770 Q49 V44 This score surprised me it was when I stopped running out of time on the quant section
Exam Pack 2 Exam 5 720 Q45 V44

My actual exam I guess I got lucky because I got a mix of my highest Quant score and my highest verbal score although I definitely didn't feel all that lucky during the exam. My biggest advice especially for quant strugglers like me is to not be afraid to get some help if your method isn't working. Also there will be a ton of stress on test day but you have to put it all behind you and just do it one question at a time. I started quant 30 seconds late and since I always cut close on time that really got in my head for a few questions but I knew I couldn't worry or I'd lose focus. After my quant I felt like I failed so bad but I made myself do jumping jacks and eat a piece of chocolate and just go back and get through the verbal section. With a real game plan improvements will happen sometimes it just takes a certain way of teaching and a certain repetition of problem sets to make it click.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: 620 Diagnostic to 690 and finally 750 debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 12:12
tanvi9 wrote:
congratulations on such a great score!
could you elaborate more on your verbal strategy...

thanks

Yea I'll try to help though I don't know about you but I am a native speaker which I'm sure helps. I had studied and taken the lsat in undergrad a few years ago so I already had practice with the RC and CR parts but SC was a real weakness for me. I realized I was getting over half of SC questions wrong and the ones I got right I just guessed on using my ear.

I highly reccomend the lsat powerscore bible for CR I usually never missed a problem and that was what I used way back when I took the lsat and it just stuck with me. It's a lot to go through and takes practice to get the techniques down where you can do a question in about a minute or less.

For RC I did use the powerscore bible as well but I don't remember it helping a ton so I would suggest either using a gmat company or self study. Honestly for me RC questions usually aren't tricky they mainly take time to find the answer if you don't know what you're looking for. Daily reading would help. As you read a small article jot down the main idea and how each sections works toward the whole article. Once you do this enough it becomes natural and helps you read a passage quickly while already having an idea of potential answers to questions such as what the main idea of a passage is or how the conclusion ties together the passage a source a whole.

Finally my worst part was SC. For this it took almost 3 months to really click in my head and even then I wasn't sure of myself I just kind of did enough problems to where I knew what a gmat answer looked like. I found the Manhattan SC guide really helpful. I sugggest reading and taking notes from it and doing problems over and over until you can get them right not just from memory but with elimination. The biggest strategy on SC is eliminating wrong answers to get the right one. If you know what is wrong you don't always have to know what is right. Parallelism and verb agreement are big issues and by knowing the rules you can usually answer about 75% of gmat SC questions.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 20:02
Congrats on your score!

Great advice and resilience on your test - it is super important to keep it one question at a time and not sweat the big picture. Sounds like you did a great job and your score is a tribute to that.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 08:13
Hi mtnginger,

That's OUTSTANDING news! With a 750/Q48, you've got a score that's essentially the 99th percentile, so you can comfortably apply to any Business School/PhD Programs that interest you. It's important to note that the application process for PhD Programs is a bit more 'nit-picky' though (since there are so few available spots and the pool of applicants tends to be highly qualified overall), so you might want to work with an Admissions Expert on your application(s).

1) When are you planning to apply?
2) What PhD Programs specifically interest you?

Congrats again on your success!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mtnginger,

That's OUTSTANDING news! With a 750/Q48, you've got a score that's essentially the 99th percentile, so you can comfortably apply to any Business School/PhD Programs that interest you. It's important to note that the application process for PhD Programs is a bit more 'nit-picky' though (since there are so few available spots and the pool of applicants tends to be highly qualified overall), so you might want to work with an Admissions Expert on your application(s).

1) When are you planning to apply?
2) What PhD Programs specifically interest you?

Congrats again on your success!

Rich

Thanks Rich I'm planning to apply this fall for a fall 2018 entry in an accounting program I have a few years work experience and am a cpa plus a decent undergrad gpa. I feel my biggest weakness is my lack of advance math courses so I'm also enrolling in calculus courses this fall and next spring to boost my profile. I'm targeting mid level schools such as Florida, Georgia, U Pittsburg, Rochester, etc.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 12:18
Congratulations

Sent from my X9009 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 20:49
Hi mtnginger,

Completing a college-level Calculus class (and performing well) would help to show Business Schools that you can currently handle academic subjects at the collegiate level. In addition to Calculus, you might also consider Statistics. If you're willing to do a little bit of additional work, then you might even be able to get feedback regarding this plan from the Schools that you're interested in applying to - contact each Program's Admissions Department and ask.

Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 20:56
Hey thanks for such a quick response.
SC is a majorproblem for me too, I am doing egmat's sc course and then I will come back to manhattan sc.

CR - i have done from powerscore cr bible, will surely try to cover lsat if time allows. Also RC just takes time otherwise accuracy wise it is ok. Will definitely implement the tips you have mentioned .

Thanks a lot for the insight!

.... Looking for some kudos here...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 22:21
Congratulations mate. Best of luck with your PhD apps. I’m sure you’ll get in to a school of your choice.
And, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: 620 Diagnostic to 690 and finally 750 debrief   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2017, 22:21

620 Diagnostic to 690 and finally 750 debrief

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics