Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
Re: 620 in first attempt. How to increase my scores [#permalink]
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Manjit,

I've sent you a PM with some notes on your ESR. I'd also like to know a bit more about your application timeline/plans:

1) What application deadlines are you currently considering?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [1]
Given Kudos: 2265
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
Manjit wrote:
Hi All,

So I gave my GMAT today after preparing for 3 months. I had exhausted OG 2018 and OG Verbal. I had finished the first few important chapters in MGMAT SC. I had done questions from GMAT Wiley official site and given all the 6 PrepCAT tests. I got 700 in first 2 PrepCATs but then hovered at around 680 in rest 4 PrepCATs. I had an informal error log in the form of a small diary.
I had timing issues in verbal during prep tests but had no issue whatsoever in final test. Infact, I used to complete quant every time in Prep tests but ended up missing last 3 questions on the actual test.
I felt the verbal questions were easy on the actual test but Quant was extremely tough. Probably that's the reason I couldn't complete quant. My final breakup is
V 34
Q 44
IR 5

Needless to say, I canceled my score. I have gotten over it and now thinking what to do next. I am mainly looking at 1 year programs in US/UK. Therefore, my target score is around 700-710
I desperately need advice regarding what to do next. I'm ready to put in more efforts for getting a better score. However, I'm already 32 so don't want to wait for more years. Any advice is welcome.
Cheers
Manjit

The 620 might be enough. What type of school do you to attend in the UK or US?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Manjit wrote:
Prateekj05 wrote:
I believe that although the official mocks are good enough to judge your capabilities and you will score somewhat in that range on the actual GMAT, the OG's are not sufficient enough for practice. There is some room for you to improve in quant section. I will suggest you to take the GMATclub mocks as they are harder. For verbal you can go for Manhattan mocks or question bank. GMATclub is a wonderful resource. Try to look for a pattern in your error logs and work on your weaknesses.

Since you haven't mentioned about the source of your preparation, and you went through first few chapters of MGMAT SC, I would suggest you go through all the concepts. Sometimes we believe we know something but in reality we don't!
I'm still in the preparation phase and to my utter surprise, I found so many constructions that we use in our colloquial language that are wrong! It's so difficult to correct that habit but you need to.

You'll easily reach your score. If your basics are crystal clear, 700 is very easy to achieve.
All the best :)

Thanks Prateekj05 for your suggestions..much appreciated. I would definitely check the GMATclub mocks as they are recommended by many on GC forms. I'm currently going through MGMAT, but I feel my preparation is lacking. Any other books/courses that you are aware of?

Thanks

Hey Manjit!

It all comes down to how much time you have? If you are interested in a course, then you can go for egmat for verbal and target test prep for quant. But mind you, you will need at least 3 months to cover both of these.
If you want to go the bookish way, then for CR get powerscore, Aristotle RC grail for RC and Manhattan for SC. These books are comprehensive when it comes to the theory but lacks questions.
You can also check out the following link for verbal resources:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/welcome-to-t ... 62910.html
Check out the comparison of various verbal books and online courses over here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

For Quant, you can follow this thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... 40445.html

Manhattan books are really good if you want to clear your basics. But they lack questions. For that you can buy Veritas Prep guides.
Checkout the reviews over here and go for whatever suits your needs:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, even if you are getting an answer correct, don't skip the explanation. You'll always learn something new when you go through the explanation. But it all comes down to the amount of time you have.

Good Luck!

Give me kudos if you liked the answer :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC! Thanks for the help.
I had given the 6 PrepCATs and here is my breakup:

PrepCAT 1 - 690 (V38 Q47)
PrepCAT 2 - 700 (V38 Q48)
PrepCAT 3 - 680 (V34 Q48)
PrepCAT 4 - 640 (V35 Q42)
PrepCAT 5 - 650 (V35 Q44)
PrepCAT 6 - 680 (V35 Q47)

I had given them at a gap of a week or so. However I had taken around 3 weeks gap after PrepCAT 2.
I had taken the tests at the same point in time as my official GMAT exam time
I used to finish the IR section but leave the AWA. I tried to maintain similar conditions as during my Official exam.
Can you please let me know what do you think of this?
I'm yet to get the ESR report. Would you suggest to get that?

Thanks for your help
Manjit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Manjit,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, the 6 CAT score results that you listed show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 670 +/- a few points). If you Official Scaled Scores that you listed are correct, then you are still technically performing in your 'range' (even though the 620 is a bit lower of a Score. You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Raising this score to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) What application deadlines are you currently considering?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC and ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks for your analysis and encouraging words. I'm really excited to give GMAT a second shot.
I have PM'ed you my ESR. In case you have some time, can you please analyze the same for me

Much thanks
Manjit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
Shouldn't q44 v34 be 640? I got the same breakdown on my second try

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Manjit wrote:
Hi All,

So I gave my GMAT today after preparing for 3 months. I had exhausted OG 2018 and OG Verbal. I had finished the first few important chapters in MGMAT SC. I had done questions from GMAT Wiley official site and given all the 6 PrepCAT tests. I got 700 in first 2 PrepCATs but then hovered at around 680 in rest 4 PrepCATs. I had an informal error log in the form of a small diary.
I had timing issues in verbal during prep tests but had no issue whatsoever in final test. Infact, I used to complete quant every time in Prep tests but ended up missing last 3 questions on the actual test.
I felt the verbal questions were easy on the actual test but Quant was extremely tough. Probably that's the reason I couldn't complete quant. My final breakup is
V 34
Q 44
IR 5

Needless to say, I canceled my score. I have gotten over it and now thinking what to do next. I am mainly looking at 1 year programs in US/UK. Therefore, my target score is around 700-710
I desperately need advice regarding what to do next. I'm ready to put in more efforts for getting a better score. However, I'm already 32 so don't want to wait for more years. Any advice is welcome.
Cheers
Manjit

I believe that although the official mocks are good enough to judge your capabilities and you will score somewhat in that range on the actual GMAT, the OG's are not sufficient enough for practice. There is some room for you to improve in quant section. I will suggest you to take the GMATclub mocks as they are harder. For verbal you can go for Manhattan mocks or question bank. GMATclub is a wonderful resource. Try to look for a pattern in your error logs and work on your weaknesses.

Since you haven't mentioned about the source of your preparation, and you went through first few chapters of MGMAT SC, I would suggest you go through all the concepts. Sometimes we believe we know something but in reality we don't!
I'm still in the preparation phase and to my utter surprise, I found so many constructions that we use in our colloquial language that are wrong! It's so difficult to correct that habit but you need to.

You'll easily reach your score. If your basics are crystal clear, 700 is very easy to achieve.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
houston1980 wrote:

The 620 might be enough. What type of school do you to attend in the UK or US?

Hi houston1980

I'm mainly looking at 1Y programs in US and UK. Since I'm from India, I expect the avg score of Indian applicants to be on the higher side and hence I think 620 is not enough. I would love to know your views on this

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Prateekj05 wrote:

Thanks Prateekj05 for your suggestions..much appreciated. I would definitely check the GMATclub mocks as they are recommended by many on GC forms. I'm currently going through MGMAT, but I feel my preparation is lacking. Any other books/courses that you are aware of?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Hi Manjit,
Main points are
1) Three months preparation is not good enough to score 720+ score.
2)Gmat is tricky exam ,apart from concepts ,you should be careful of traps and there are plenty.
3)More practice required.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Manjit, Quant was obviously a bigger issue for you in the actual exam. The fact that you could not complete the last 3 Quant questions, could have shaved off 2-3 points.

Out of curiosity, did you leave the last 3 quant questions un-attempted or did you randomly mark the responses?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
620 in first attempt. How to increase my scores [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Manjit, Quant was obviously a bigger issue for you in the actual exam. The fact that you could not complete the last 3 Quant questions, could have shaved off 2-3 points.

Out of curiosity, did you leave the last 3 quant questions un-attempted or did you randomly mark the responses?

I couldn't attempt..was so involved in the 4th last question that I couldn't see the timer.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
ok..curiously, GMAC suggests that if you had randomly marked the options and completed the Quant section, you could have perhaps scored 10-20 points more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
ok..curiously, GMAC suggests that if you had randomly marked the options and completed the Quant section, you could have perhaps scored 10-20 points more.

This is an eye-opener for me
EducationAisle - is this true for the verbal section as well (missing 3 questions for instance not-attempted may deduct 30 points from my final score?)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
This advice is largely for Quant only.

However, this point should not really be a part of your strategy, since it will not alter your score by a huge margin; perhaps just 10-20 points upwards (10-20 points total, and not per question).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts