Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [23]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
Re: 640 to 750: How I braved myself and won over the GMAT ghost. [#permalink]
Kudos
MOCKS AND RC

Hi AbhiJ,

I gave a mock test almost every weekend, sometimes 2 (Friday and Sunday, OR Sunday and Tuesday). The revision process was fairly simple: I used to maintain a small spreadsheet of my mistakes (google doc so that I could access it from anywhere, office or home). Every mock test was followed by about 1.5 hour of review session where i only used to go through every question i did incorrectly, and, on the spreadsheet, used to mark out what or where i did wrong (especially verbal). I Realized that I was making a lot of mistakes in the "Comparisons" and "Idioms" part of SC, and in general, RC questions. This made me realize my weak areas, so I started working on them. My exam time was 4:00-8:00 pm, so I used to take mocks of Friday and Tuesday after office, from 4:00-8:00 pm, and that tremendously increased my stamina, as I had to focus after an exhaustive day of work. Also, I used one of the Error Logs, But only once in the middle of my study period, to see again from a professional's point of view in what areas I was making a mistake.

Imp Tip: Do the review just after the mocks, even though you'll be exhausted at that time, because that is the only time you know what you have done in the mocks. In the first few mocks, i procrastinated, and later on realized my mistake.

In the mocks, a general process that i followed was to avoid the last RC passage, which gave me ample time for the other questions. A very interesting review of the importance of the first few questions vs the last few questions is done on gmatclub. This review guided me to put extra effort on the first few questions. Also, as i worked, I realized the pattern on the RC questions, and followed this trick: Fully understand the Passage -> Read question -> Without looking at the answer choice, look into the Passage for a quick understanding of that Particular Section -> Search the answer choice that fits my understanding. This was an amazing process, as my RC hit rate increased from 30-40% to 85-90%. To be honest I was never able to prethink the answer, so I just put my efforts in understanding that Passage Section, and choosing the answer that most logically fit into my understanding of that section. And honestly, in 700+ question,s you probably wont be able to prethink the answer choice as the correct answer may be way different from what one can imagine. Just keep your mind open, and eliminate the wrong answers that you think dont work well with your understanding.

Imp point: When you are not panicking to quickly read and understand the passage so that you can complete all the 41 questions, you "Actually" are able to quickly read and understand the passage. Believe me, I was able to complete the verbal in time, I only panicked when i took the break, so rushed through the Long Passage that i came across.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other question.

Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 29 Jul 2013, 16:00.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear abikumar,

Congratulations on your fantastic score improvement. With your IIT background, this will help you get into most Unis.

First things first =>
Quote:
After 5 years of smoking continuously and a year of drinking wine almost every third day, I completely quit smoking and drinking for 30 days to increase my comprehension level

Rajat: I learn something every day. I never realized there was a direct correlation. I wonder if the same (giving up drinking wine) applies to French as well :) . It would be interesting to see a study.

Quote:
Imp point: When you are not panicking to quickly read and understand the passage so that you can complete all the 41 questions, you "Actually" are able to quickly read and understand the passage. Believe me, I was able to complete the verbal in time, I only panicked when i took the break, so rushed through the Long Passage that i came across

Rajat: Absolutely right => as I say, read slowly to save time. Its counter intutive but works.

Congratulations once again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Learn from it, learn from your mistakes, build your stamina, rough up and tie your loose ends.
Nice to motivate myself.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
GENERAL RELAXING STRATEGY

singh0021 wrote:

Hi Abhi,

Congrats
Well I just want to tell u my case. After fighting for almost 3 years in Cat, I decided to prepare for Gmat this year in Nov. And, I am doing good in sample question. However, in test I lost my temper and always be in hurry to make Q incorrect. This is the case with me in Cat as well.
Kindly suggest if u really wanna to help

Hi Singh,

Thanks. First and foremost, what are the reasons that you lose your temper and get angry during the exams? As in, do you start feeling like you'll not be able to complete the test? Or you probably recall a previous question and realize that you have made a mistake? Or In general during a exam you start contemplating why Harry Potter attended the Tri Wizard Tournament? As he would have avoided Cedric's Death, and definitely the Cup was not coming to Harry with a dagger to kill him. (Just kidding, :) ) I think you might have meant that you lose your cool during your exam, right?

And losing cool during GMAT is a pretty common thing. If this is the case then please let me know more about the way you do your preparation (also please provide in what section you feel more rushed), I'll reply back to you with my perspective at what you can do to avoid the situation. If you really lose your temper then also please provide more information as to what you feel when you do your questions, I'll try to see how I can help you out. Anyways some of my strategies have been discussed before, as what I did to conquer my nerves. And as i always try to provide to a new question:

Tip of the Day: GMAT is not life after all. Getting 800 on it wont get you into H/S/W, getting 500 on it wont kill you. Its just an exam and I'd ask you all to treat it as one. I was in the same shoes as you guys are right now, and believe me I did these things before the exam:
1. I went to watch two movies in two days just before the D-day. (I'd say i was trying to relax myself, but honestly, I had tons to complete then too, i just didn't care, a 2 day practice wouldn't have increased my score from 500 to 700.)
2. Occasionally in my 40-45 day spree, I used to take a day off, just to relax, watch a movie, talk to my friends. The next day i used to swear and curse myself, and then go back to study again. I guess it worked, unknowingly. :)
3. I didn't let my office work suffer a lot, even in the last week. I was here in the office on Friday, and the next day I was writing the exam.
4. There are tons of other anecdotes like these ones, but they all want to tell you guys just one thing. Its natural to Panic, but try not to, the exam is not your Life.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Abhishek
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Did you gave tests every weekend ? How did you revise between tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on your awesome score. But what caught my eye and surprized me is your quant score. How can u come up with a 51 in every single mock !! :O

I will b sitting for my GMAT within 4 months. I am hitting in the 47 - 49 range in quant but have been very weak in the verbal section. So, I am emphasizing on my verbal prep more. But I would really like to know from u, how can I take my quant skill to that awesome level of yours or atleast near yours ?? Please give me a guideline on the total quant prep which can help me to get a Q51 !!! :D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Btw, thanks for your wishes. I didnt notice that and directly jumped into answering your question. If you are scoring Q47-49, you can definitely pull it upto Q51 in a 4 month period. I'd suggest, prepare maths intensively for 1 month and reach Q50-51 while doing verbals slowly, then go for intensive verbals for 2 months while slowly doing quant, and then reconcile the two in the last month. Take mocks to judge your progress (During intensive-verbal period, you may see a decrease in quant score, but its ok as you'll study it again intensively in the last month, and it will be easier to gain speed then.)

The daily gmatclub question will not let you leave any area in Quant or Verbal during any intensive preparation. So please subscribe to it. :)

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Great work dude...congrats
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Abi,
Congrats on your awesome score.
You mentioned that you got one GMATPrep CR question in your GMAT exam. Verbal questions(especially SC and RC) pattern/format in GMAT will be same as OG13 and GMATPrep questions? I don't mean that same questions will repeat but will the question pattern in real GMAT be same as in OG sources?
Please respond when you get a chance.

All the best
Current Student
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Kudos abikumar! yours is truly a debrief written in the most concise and informative form ever! (The Wine Helped!) :-D
I congratulate you for your brilliant score and also for completing the journey in such a remarkable fashion! :clap:

I am going to take the GMAT in the next month. I have exactly a month from now. Your points and discussions about the Quant section are a real eye opener. I am going to refurbish my whole quant preparation from tomorrow yet again. I was of an opinion that MGMAT tests have a difficult quant and kept ignoring them. Now, it makes much sense that I need to take on them as well since they are remarkably close to the final call. :yes

I have a serious concern regarding the verbal section. After reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I have modulated my attempt methodology time and again to suit my comfort level. Indeed, the slow reading technique on RC works for me like wonders. The last RC...bite me! I am very worried with my performance on the CR section. Accuracy levels hover around 50-60%. Interests are at an all time low. (Though, first thing tomorrow morning is to quit ciggerates). CR is killing me. In my previous attempt too, I remember attempting CR in the most disgusting and disgraceful manner possible. The last mock I gave of MGMAT, I got about 16 questions wrong and out of them, 8 were CR!!! I could not believe my own nerves. :beat
I hope, I have not been too wordy. Please guide. If there is something I could do in 30 days about improvising onto my accuracy, I would put in a 100% effort on those lines.

Thanks in Advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Abhishek.. many congratulations for the awesome score! Seems like you worked really hard and it actually paid off :)

I have my GMAT in next 20 days. I have taken 4 mocks till now, including 2 power-prep tests (ex gmat-prep). The scores as are follows: 740, 720, 710 and 690. The last mock was a bit weird since I screwed up my quant. Got 9 questions wrong. Otherwise I have been scoring 49-50 in quant. Could you please guide me on how should I make sure that I consistently score a minimum 50 in quant?

On verbal sections, I have been getting around 8-9 questions wrong, and 4-5 out of them are all RC errors! I havent been able to improve my accuracy on RC even after practicing a lot! Any trips and tricks that would help me improve my accuracy??

Please reply whenever you have time! :)

Thanks a lot!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
abikumar wrote:

In the mocks, a general process that i followed was to avoid the last RC passage, which gave me ample time for the other questions.

AbiKumar,

Cheers on your score and your perseverance for 3 tests.
Can you elaborate the above strategy. Did you avoid the RC last passage in GMAT too?

Best of luck for yours apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Abhishek,

First, congratulations for an awesome score! Since you have taken both e-gmat and Knewton courses, can you please provide a comparison of the verbal sections of the two courses? Is there a reason why you chose Knewton for your final attempt ?

Which one of the two have helped you the most to improve your verbal skills especially for CR and RC sections. Also, I have read on several forums that Knewton course is not some one who is aiming for 700+ score on the gmat, is this right?

Thanks for your insights and good luck with your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT QUESTION TYPE

vasireddy1304 wrote:
Dear Abi,
Congrats on your awesome score.
You mentioned that you got one GMATPrep CR question in your GMAT exam. Verbal questions(especially SC and RC) pattern/format in GMAT will be same as OG13 and GMATPrep questions? I don't mean that same questions will repeat but will the question pattern in real GMAT be same as in OG sources?
Please respond when you get a chance.

All the best

Hi Vasireddy,

Sorry, i went on a trip and came back today only. Let me tell you a secret, I remember that twice i saw GMATPrep question (as in exactly the same body, EXACTLY) but with different question stem and different answer choices i.e. attacking the same question from a different perspective (1 in 2nd attempt, and 1 in 3rd: Both CR). The reason i think is that maybe GMAT too dont have a lot of different material for tough questions. If you see one, then i believe be happy as you might be doing good, if you dont, then also no worries, you may have hit a different tough or even tougher question. Verbal questions are always, and yes ALWAYS, check for the same concepts. Same holds for RC too, and hence GMATPrep is your best source for official questions. (I say GMATPrep and not OG as GMATPrep has some really tough questions, OG is really really good to learn the concepts). So, the answer in short is "YES", the question pattern is always the same. The real GMAT will never ask you something which they have not taught in OG or GMATPrep.

Hope this answers your question. Happy to answer any other doubt of yours.

Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 06 Aug 2013, 10:35.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Brilliant debrief !!!!! I just want to know how u gave up smoking and wine....lol, i get an urge to smoke in between breaks for mocktest;) i see you are a supporter of mock and analysis of mocks straight after the test. Any special tips on analysis??? Am trying to divide errors in timing, strategy and concept problem, usually am good with concepts but i take a long route to answer questions in quant so my main problem is strategy and timing because of which i mess up the final few questions(4-5).

Congrats on the score and good luck with the applications

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
E-GMAT VS KNEWTON

rags28 wrote:
Hey Abhishek,

First, congratulations for an awesome score! Since you have taken both e-gmat and Knewton courses, can you please provide a comparison of the verbal sections of the two courses? Is there a reason why you chose Knewton for your final attempt ?

Which one of the two have helped you the most to improve your verbal skills especially for CR and RC sections. Also, I have read on several forums that Knewton course is not some one who is aiming for 700+ score on the gmat, is this right?

Thanks for your insights and good luck with your apps.

Hi Rags,

Thanks for your wishes. I'll try to keep it simple and to the point.

Comparison: e-gmat vs knewton (only verbal section)

e-gmat Pros: Extremely good verbal classes. Conceptual questions. Huge collection of questions. Club it together with mgmat mocks, and you have got a gem. (4+ verbal score guaranteed)
knewton Pros: Conceptual questions. Adaptive simulation. Huge collection of questions. 6 mocks. So complete in itself (including quant). (50+ total score guaranteed.)

e-gmat Cons: No good mocks (I have said earlier, i personally hated grockit, some people like it too, so it depends from person to person). No quant (when i joined. I dont know what the current situation is). :(
knewton Cons: Classes are not personal (as in they are general for everyone, so its up to you to assimilate as much as you can).

Summary:
If you are scoring in the range of 25-32, go for e-gmat. It will build your basics. You'll not assimilate a lot of knowledge from knewton at this point of time. e-gmat has the potential to get you from 25 to 40+ if you use it wisely, undoubtedly. I missed giving mocks during my prep with e-gmat, which probably hurt my overall score.
If you are scoring in the range of 32-36, go for knewton. You have your basics clear, you just need to practice, give mocks, and tie your loose ends. You can increase from 34 to 40+ using only this course.

Myth: "knewton cannot get you to 700+.": I cannot use the word, so i'll make an acronym of it: "BS". :) I tried it, and it made me jump to 750+. Whatever is taught in knewton is relevant and is good enough to keep you above 700. My personal preference was to increase my quant ability too, so i went for knewton. Important point is that its adaptive, so if you are bad at verbal, it wont help you a lot, but if you are decent at verbal, it will prove wonders.

Tip: Both of the courses are extremely good. Pick the one that suits your needs, and fits into your current verbal potential. And as bb ones said, during your prep, its good to go for a course which has a a guaranteed score improvement, as you have nothing to loose. You'll either improve your score, or you'll get your money back if you do all what is asked from you.

Also, specifically for SC, i'll say e-gmat (as for me, SC requires some personal attention), and for CR and RC, i'll say both (though personally, i am a bit inclined towards knewton). Also, CR was never that tough for me, especially simple CR and RC problems. For tough CR and RC problems, please read my other replies targeted at how to tackle tough RC and CR questions (they contain my personal strategies).

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 06 Aug 2013, 13:10.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
abikumar wrote:
CRITICAL REASONING (An interesting approach)

sayantanbera21 wrote:
Kudos abikumar! yours is truly a debrief written in the most concise and informative form ever! (The Wine Helped!) :-D
I congratulate you for your brilliant score and also for completing the journey in such a remarkable fashion! :clap:

I am going to take the GMAT in the next month. I have exactly a month from now. Your points and discussions about the Quant section are a real eye opener. I am going to refurbish my whole quant preparation from tomorrow yet again. I was of an opinion that MGMAT tests have a difficult quant and kept ignoring them. Now, it makes much sense that I need to take on them as well since they are remarkably close to the final call. :yes

I have a serious concern regarding the verbal section. After reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I have modulated my attempt methodology time and again to suit my comfort level. Indeed, the slow reading technique on RC works for me like wonders. The last RC...bite me! I am very worried with my performance on the CR section. Accuracy levels hover around 50-60%. Interests are at an all time low. (Though, first thing tomorrow morning is to quit ciggerates). CR is killing me. In my previous attempt too, I remember attempting CR in the most disgusting and disgraceful manner possible. The last mock I gave of MGMAT, I got about 16 questions wrong and out of them, 8 were CR!!! I could not believe my own nerves. :beat
I hope, I have not been too wordy. Please guide. If there is something I could do in 30 days about improvising onto my accuracy, I would put in a 100% effort on those lines.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi Sayantanbera,

Sorry, i went on a trip and came back today only. For CR questions, a lot of gmat prep courses tell you to read the question stem first and then read the body, but i found that tough for me. What i did was that i read the body first and while reading the body, i guessed what the question stem may be (such as weaken, or strengthen or assumption, etc). Honestly, i was able to guess that more than 90% of the time. This helped me to unbiasedly read the body, and understand it fully before reading the question. One trick of the trade that i used: Read the CR stem, and convert it in your own language (hindi, tamil, spanish, whatever it is). Then you'll either directly find the right answer choice (in easy CR questions) or eliminate all the incorrect answer choices (in tough CR questions). It does created wonders for me. Hope it does the same for you too. For example:

CR Stem: "Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, in which he and the five members of his team spent four months on a boat together off Dutch Harbor, AK, he caught fewer fish than any of his teammates."

Hindi version: "Samuel bad fisherman hai, and last season mein in 4 months usne out of 6 people, sabse kam fish collect kari"

(P.S.: I converted that into hindi, please convert it into your own language. After conversion, I can bet that you'll too guess this seems like a weaken question as it feels itchy to say someone is bad just based on one data point, or maybe some other factor/data is present that makes him a good fisherman or some new information that proves the point that the data presented above misses some key information. Also, i copied this question after doing some random google search, I'll say try this strategy on real GMAT questions, or mgmat question, or egmat or knewton. I cannot say about other prep courses, but i can vouch for maggoosh and veritas prep questions, both are good. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, even if this is a strengthen question choice, see how many data points you have pondered over by converting it in your own language even before reading the question stem, this makes you fully understand the passage. If its a strengthen question, you'll check for the exactly opposite points we discussed earlier, and if its an assumption question, then you just need to fill in the loose ends.)

Note: the name of the place may not be that important to understand the stem. But honestly, it will stick to your mind when you'll be reading the passage. So no worries, the important part is to FULLY understand what the passage is saying.

Also, note that tough CR questions are tough to answer. So even if you are incorrectly answering 8 tough CR questions (out of total 16 wrong verbal attempts in a mock), dont worry. In a couple of mocks, my incorrect CR questions were almost 40%-50% of the total 13-14 incorrect questions. Important point to note is that in GMAT, a CR answer choice will be TOTALLY wrong, and not partially wrong. GMAT does not leave any chance of errors in the wrong answer choices.

Hmmmm, it turned out to be a long post, i guess no one asked me about my CR strategy before. :) Hope this answers your question. Happy to answer any other doubt of yours. And yes, please let me know if this conversion thing works for you. I'll then be really happy as I will know i helped a fellow-friend who is in the same position as i was a few months ago.

Regards,
Abhishek

Hey Abhishek, Congratulations for 750 first of all.. Kudos man!!
And ya thanks a lot for the amazing tips that you have shared in the above posts.. It has helped me a lot. Especially converting the CR question in Hindi and then judging what the question could be.

If you can judge what a question could me, then it automatically means that you also know an answer to it.

Thanks again!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts