Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 650, 640, 660,680 and 650 in official mock tests, 540 in actual exam! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Amid87,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each of your CATs/mocks?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. In addition, retesting in 16 days might be a bit too soon. If you have significant issues that need to be 'fixed', then that will likely take more time that you have currently allotted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: 650, 640, 660,680 and 650 in official mock tests, 540 in actual exam! [#permalink]
all these mock tests were taken with 4 days of final exam.

Taking 4 Official Mocks in such a short time frame may not be ideal. Similar to doing a marathon on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, can a person feel refreshed on Thursday morning to do another after a night's sleep? Perhaps. But there is a chance there will be an impact at a certain point during the exam.

My verbal score was 24 (Q40 V24). But nothing else stands out to me. In mocks, my verbal ranged between 30-37, and quant 42-45.

How to get a V40 or higher on the GMAT? What about a V51?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
650, 640, 660,680 and 650 in official mock tests, 540 in actual exam! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Amid87 wrote:
Hello experts!

Is there anything that can account for this insane difference in mock and actual score? all these mock tests were taken with 4 days of final exam. I'm going to take exam again in 16days. What can do differently? Is there any better mock test than the official GMAC one?

Thanks

Hi Amid87

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. There could be a couple of reasons for the drop in the score. Please go through the article below to find out the probable reasons.

Scored well on mocks but failed miserably on the test?

Having said that, it would be too early to conclude anything without knowing the actual reason. To understand what could have led to the drop in the score and to suggest you the plan of action, I need a little more information about your GMAT preparation. I would like to know more about

• the time you have devoted to studying so far
  • the way you prepared till now (your study strategy)
  • your weak areas
  • your approach of solving questions
  • the resources you have used

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. And I personally suggest to go for the retake only after you prepared well and are 100% confident. It’s always better to spare some more time on your preparation until you are ready instead of missing out on your dream colleges/ b-schools in hurry.

Having said that, I would like to have a one-on-one conversation with you. The discussion would be mostly around the answers to the above questions, and the plan of action. If you have an ESR with you, that will be even more helpful to get the insights about your performance. You use use the link below to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys

Thank you for your thoughts. I also eventually reached the same conclusion that I was burnt out and hence booked an online exam for 19th May, ie, yesterday. I kept the days very light and relaxed and slept well. I scored 670 (Q48V33).

Today, however, I received an email saying that my exam has been flagged for a review.

I hold a conditional offer from a school, conditional on GMAT 600 or higher. It seems like the review might take a month or more, based on similar cases presented on this forum. I'm thinking now if I should take a test centre exam again (which i cant take for another 10days,because of 16 days gap between 2 test same format exams).

very confused, this is just so unnecessary. My online exam went just fine with no violations whatsoever. I need the official score to get unconditional offer, and unconditional offer to apply for VISA. Course starts in August.

Is this normal or just really bad luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Amid87 wrote:
very confused, this is just so unnecessary. My online exam went just fine with no violations whatsoever. I need the official score to get unconditional offer, and unconditional offer to apply for VISA. Course starts in August.

Hi Amid87,

Congrats on the 670!

As for the review, don't worry too much about it, as I really don't think it'll take a month for them to get back to you (hopefully just a few days). However, I would check test-center appointment availability and possibly be ready to let my school know about this if I were you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Received the official score in 3 working days!! Getting in touch with GMAC test security team helped I suppose. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Amid87 wrote:
Received the official score in 3 working days!! Getting in touch with GMAC test security team helped I suppose. :)

That's great news! You're (almost) all set for August. :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. That’s quite a difference and congratulations on getting the 670!

Amid87 wrote:
Hey guys

Thank you for your thoughts. I also eventually reached the same conclusion that I was burnt out and hence booked an online exam for 19th May, ie, yesterday. I kept the days very light and relaxed and slept well. I scored 670 (Q48V33).

Today, however, I received an email saying that my exam has been flagged for a review.

I hold a conditional offer from a school, conditional on GMAT 600 or higher. It seems like the review might take a month or more, based on similar cases presented on this forum. I'm thinking now if I should take a test centre exam again (which i cant take for another 10days,because of 16 days gap between 2 test same format exams).

Is this normal or just really bad luck!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot