Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: 650 Q49/V28-should have been better than that, any advices ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Depaulian wrote:
lemme tell you, 650 is not a bad score. ya i agree after seeing lots of post of people crying in here after getting 700-710 that there score is low, we feel like 650 is bad.

nw regarding retaking GMAT, i would say, evaluate your profile ( Score + Wrk Exp + Extra carricular) , and makea list of colleges that are SAFE to apply. get some expert advice, there are some real good forums in gmatclub for that. And based on that , take a decision.

Cheers

How i wish there were a "Like" option on gmatclub ( FB style). Very well said Depaulian . 650 is not a bad score. It looks bad becasue 70% of people on the forums are still worried after scoring 700/720. I feel if you arent confident of getting into a school at 700/720 ; then you probably dont stand a chance even at 750 .

What makes ur score look bad is V28. Its a very unbalanced score, has it been a Q47V34 ,I'm sure a few doors would have opened for you. Q49 is pretty solid . Your best friend till retake should be Verbal ..live eat sleep SC and CR. Understand the concept , know why is something wrong , read as many correct answers as possible . Avoid your ears, and read lot of posts of RON ( manahttan gmat prep folder) .

Keep coming back to the forum . We all are here to help each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Cheers[/quote]

How i wish there were a "Like" option on gmatclub ( FB style). Very well said Depaulian . 650 is not a bad score. It looks bad becasue 70% of people on the forums are still worried after scoring 700/720. I feel if you arent confident of getting into a school at 700/720 ; then you probably dont stand a chance even at 750 .

Well... dere is a Kudos button ;)
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
cvsmech wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Seems like you put in a lot of hours and effort into GMAT and didn't achieve the results you wanted. It appears that you're interested in re-taking the GMAT. All the best with your 2nd attempt. I know you've finished all the resources but I'd still stick to the official questions only.

IMHO, you can improve your verbal score by a lot since its very learnable and do-able. There's a pattern on how GMAT creates its problems. Try to learn the patterns and pre-phrase the answers in critical reasoning and reading comprehension. Try to identify mistakes in sentence correction questions before going for the splits, stay on the look-out for key words such as it, their, them,him, which, who, like and so on.

GMAT is more of a reasoning + knowledge exam so just going through books won't help anyone's cause. At the same time GMAT is very learnable and the gmat problems can be learned as to how to reason for certain question types. In a nut shell, focus on quality more than quantity. Stick to OGs for the most part to learn how GMAT tries to tricks you on questions and practice with GMAT PREP or POWER PREP exams before the exam if you don't have access to MGMAT tests.

Hope this generic advice helps you. If you have any questions, I am sure experts on this forum will be able to help you further.

Thanks, cvsmech
I see that quality is better than quantity. However, although I solved every question in OGs and made Error Logs and came up with Takeaways, I think that my actual problem is stamina.
At the time I saw the last quantitative question, I was torn apart and when I reached to verbal I was already out of the game.
I think the best way to gain stamina is doing practice exams. I did not know how critical the stamina issue would be
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
Depaulian wrote:
I feel sorry for you amaterasu...
btw nice name...bet u got it from some japanese cartoon

lemme tell you, 650 is not a bad score. ya i agree after seeing lots of post of people crying in here after getting 700-710 that there score is low, we feel like 650 is bad.

nw regarding retaking GMAT, i would say, evaluate your profile ( Score + Wrk Exp + Extra carricular) , and makea list of colleges that are SAFE to apply. get some expert advice, there are some real good forums in gmatclub for that. And based on that , take a decision.

Cheers

Yeah Depaulian, thank you for your encouragement and empathy.
Yeah, you nailed it, I got it from the japanese cartoon you already figured
I did not want to retake it, but I want to go to a top 10 school, because of that, although my other credentials can recoup it, I feel that I must retake it. If my other credentials, GPA, WE, Extracurriculars, Essays and Recs are rock solid, can I still be go to Stanford or HBS, or MIT, or Wharton ?
If GMAT is only a checkpoint to figure out how you will do in B-School, and considering my GMAT, can my Engineering GPA 3.71/4.00 from one of the top school in my country, my master's GPA 3.56/ 4.00 from the same univeristy while FT working, and a international article published by an international journal covered by Science Citation Index recoup my lowish GMAT. I do not know, if they investigate my whole application, they will see them, but if they reject me by this hygiene factor, namely GMAT, they will not see them...
By the way, I work as an mechanical engineer in Mercedes-Benz, which is a brand name but did not even send any employee to b-schools, at least for 10-15 years I can say this is the case.
My native language is Turkish, as foreign languages my English, German and Italian are also solid.
I do not want to turn this out to a profile evaluation but, I do not know...
I know nobody knows the answer whether I will be accepted by a top school, maybe Sandy Kreisberg's handicapping series in Poets and Quants made me feel so :))
When one's GMAT is low, then he nullified one's chances for Stanford and HBS, even if I think people have some other merits

Originally posted by amaterasu on 06 Sep 2011, 22:29.
Last edited by amaterasu on 06 Sep 2011, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
sudhir18n wrote:
Depaulian wrote:

Cheers

What makes ur score look bad is V28. Its a very unbalanced score, has it been a Q47V34 ,I'm sure a few doors would have opened for you. Q49 is pretty solid . Your best friend till retake should be Verbal ..live eat sleep SC and CR. Understand the concept , know why is something wrong , read as many correct answers as possible . Avoid your ears, and read lot of posts of RON ( manahttan gmat prep folder) .

Keep coming back to the forum . We all are here to help each other.

Man, sudhir18n thanks a lot
I am also one of those who support the idea you mentioned "I feel if you arent confident of getting into a school at 700/720 ; then you probably dont stand a chance even at 750 ."
That's why I am confident and I do not want to retake it, I do not think they will reject someone directly with a 650, without even looking other parts of the application.
But, they say always that you have to reach these magic numbers...
"Your best friend till retake should be Verbal ..live eat sleep SC and CR. Understand the concept , know why is something wrong , read as many correct answers as possible . Avoid your ears, and read lot of posts of RON ( manahttan gmat prep folder) ."

Thans for your kind advice, I already learned from you, people here, that these sources are indispensable. I have done them.
As I said earlier, I think my problem is stamina, I only wrote 1 pratice test, nothing else...
By the time I reached the verbal, I lost my all mental power
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Depaulian wrote:
Cheers

Well... dere is a Kudos button ;)[/quote]

u just "earned" urself a kudos :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
congrats man
best of luck
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
gaurav2k101 wrote:
congrats man
best of luck

Thanks bro
I really appreciate that my Indian fellow comrades are pushing their limits to get accepted by a top american school, whether in engineering or in business etc.
You guys really rock
I do not even wonder that many top universities have so many Indian scholars
Mannn, you have almost conquered high education in US. I really really appreciate that
You have great mental and intellectual capacity, your nation have a bright future
Keep up the good work
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
amaterasu wrote:
gaurav2k101 wrote:
congrats man
best of luck

Thanks bro
I really appreciate that my Indian fellow comrades are pushing their limits to get accepted by a top american school, whether in engineering or in business etc.
You guys really rock
I do not even wonder that many top universities have so many Indian scholars
Mannn, you have almost conquered high education in US. I really really appreciate that
You have great mental and intellectual capacity, your nation has a bright future
Keep up the good work
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
Brothers and Sisters,

I already made up my mind to retake.

I always will update about my process and progress in this thread.

By the way, my retake date is 18 October.

I have written 3 practice tests so far.

1) GmatPrep 2 & Review

GmatPrep 2: 730 (Q50/V38)---> Does anyone know how to diminish those stupid mistakes in quant, everytime I feel that I am so close to the top, but I generally come up with 49-50, I know this is not bad, but my quant is stronger than verbal as you see, and I need my quant to be some higher to leverage the overall score.
My verbal target score is 40, but I did not manage to get that level, so far.

When I review my exams, I solve them 1-1,and miss questions that I should not have missed, this is really disappointing because I know I can solve them, but in exam conditions, so close to top, but never managed to get to the top.

--

2. MGMAT Cat 1 & Review

Q49; V 41, 730 97%--> how come ? Is 97% not equal to an overall score of 740 ?

Could anyone clarify the issue that does not 97% correlate to a overall score of 740, I think MGAMT CATS are calculating overall scores, somewhat lower.
--

3: MGAMT CAT 2
Q46 (, V:35-->670 89%--> how come ? Did not 89% correlate to a total of 690 or 700 ?

I guessed 5 or more questions in quant because I ran out of time. Mann, these MGMAT Quants are really long quant questions, from geo to numbers they require a lot of calculations.

--
That's all, more update will come

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Best of luck amaterasu...and don't use other prep companies' tests for benchmarking...just use them for identifying your weaknesses and strengths...Nothing can match the algo of GMATprep.

Also read a lot for verbal. Try to understand things from a holistic point of view.

BR
Mandeep
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
samramandy wrote:
Best of luck amaterasu...and don't use other prep companies' tests for benchmarking...just use them for identifying your weaknesses and strengths...Nothing can match the algo of GMATprep.

Also read a lot for verbal. Try to understand things from a holistic point of view.

BR
Mandeep

Thanks, I will try to try my best ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
amaterasu wrote:
samramandy wrote:

BR
Mandeep

Thanks, I will try to try my best ;)

You are most welcome. I hope you hit your verbal target of 40 :)
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
Update, I wrote the exam today and again 650.
Man, I am stuck here.
Only one point improvement in quant--> 49 before, and now 50.
Verbal is the same, 28 :(
I do not know, whether I had better give up :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
sudhir18n wrote:
Depaulian wrote:

Cheers

I feel if you arent confident of getting into a school at 700/720 ; then you probably dont stand a chance even at 750 .

That's a gross overstatement. Precision Essays has (on BTG forum) mentioned that a very high GMAT score can make for other weakness in profile. Not everybody who is getting an MBA is a rockstar (why would they need an MBA anyway). Another consultant mentioned that its justified that Indians retake after 700 as 90%ile for Indians in 720 and not the global equivalent of 700. The statement you made is applicable if you are a front office I-Banker or similar profile.
Aringo Consultant
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
Depaulian wrote:

Cheers

I feel if you arent confident of getting into a school at 700/720 ; then you probably dont stand a chance even at 750 .

That's a gross overstatement. Precision Essays has (on BTG forum) mentioned that a very high GMAT score can make for other weakness in profile. Not everybody who is getting an MBA is a rockstar (why would they need an MBA anyway). Another consultant mentioned that its justified that Indians retake after 700 as 90%ile for Indians in 720 and not the global equivalent of 700. The statement you made is applicable if you are a front office I-Banker or similar profile.

Maybe you are right, I do not know. I am a Turkish applicant, not of those who begin their GMAT early at undergraduate. I prepared for one year while FT employed, maybe as many other non-rockstar applicants did. But after such a hustle, I cannot accept this score. Where is the problem, I did not know.
Only one point improvement in quant from 49 to 50 !!!
I thought that I did everything OK this time, but :?

My practice scores are below:

GMATPrep 1: 700
GMATPrep 2:730
MGMAT 1: 730
MGMAT 2: 670
MGMAT 3: 730
MGMAT 4: 760
MGMAT 5: 730

What do you think, what could be the problem ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Part time MBA require lower GMAT score and 650 should be worth a shot.

For verbal you need to have a strategy for attacking questions before you write the GMAT.

For an analogy - when you see a CR -strengthen, you must know exactly how to attack the problem, where to look for weakness etc. Similarly for other CR types.

This can be gained from studying Powerscore CR chapter wise and solving the corresponding question from the list at the bottom of the page.

https://www.powerscore.com/crbible/question_ref12.cfm

When you read the book fully once and they try to solve problem its not the best strategy IMO.

For RC - Study Manhattan CR and follow they strategy - their two most useful strategies are - Main Point Question(point system based on para/occurance, Infer the least - stay as close as possible to passage)

For SC you can refer to site e-gmat.com. Frankly SC is my weakness as well.

I would suggest taking some other tests like Kaplan/ Princeton.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts