Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [181]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [3]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score [#permalink]
Kudos
Engr2012 wrote:
honchos wrote:
A deserving Knock, Now Rock the Applications. All the Best!

honchos, thanks but I think I should be the one congratulating you on your 790 :shock: :shock: Amazing work. Will look forward to your 750 to 790 debrief.

Please keep me Posted. Please do send me your LinkedIn Handle in PM.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
honchos wrote:

honchos, thanks but I think I should be the one congratulating you on your 790 :shock: :shock: Amazing work. Will look forward to your 750 to 790 debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Engr2012

Brilliant Stuff! Some of the points which you have mentioned are gold mines if picked up and practiced with, religiously.
All the best for the application process.

+1 for a comprehensive yet precise debrief.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device

CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
kimrani wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device

CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice! Is there anything that you find particularly useful to boost Verbal score by 10 points from GMAT 2 to 3? That's a really good result from 2-month studying.

Getting ESR from mba.com to understand what were the areas of improvement, making sure to focus on a 'habit' for answering SC/CR/RC questions. Treating RCs as big CR prompts and pre-thinking for ALL CR/RC questions would be the ones I would say helped me the most.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
Harley1980, thanks.

In this attempt , I felt that (be it during mocks or the actual GMAT) the correct answer was very easy to pick once you understood the implied meaning/ structure be it SC, CR or RC questions. Stick to a method in verbal and you will be rewarded. Yes, I did do a lot of courses just because I have a very particular method of study and I need to feel comfortable in order to understand concepts vi a particular method of teaching. For me, a combination of these methods worked.

All the best for your preparation .

Hi Engr2012,
First congratulation for your great score. I think a IR6 is absolutely enough, so you shouldn't bother with it.
I'm preparing for the 2nd attempts in the next few days after a 640 (Q50, V26) 2 months ago. I just want to know something about the ESR. Do you have to buy it twice, each after a real test, or just once for all tests?
Regarding to the Questions Pack 1, I wonder how you could create Verbal tests with the annoyed fact that the RC questions come from different passages (maybe 10 questions from 5-6 passages for example). This is the feature of Questions Pack 1 that I really dislike and that prevents me from buying it.

Thanks,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Send PM
tronghieu1987 wrote:

Hi Engr2012,
First congratulation for your great score. I think a IR6 is absolutely enough, so you shouldn't bother with it.
I'm preparing for the 2nd attempts in the next few days after a 640 (Q50, V26) 2 months ago. I just want to know something about the ESR. Do you have to buy it twice, each after a real test, or just once for all tests?
Regarding to the Questions Pack 1, I wonder how you could create Verbal tests with the annoyed fact that the RC questions come from different passages (maybe 10 questions from 5-6 passages for example). This is the feature of Questions Pack 1 that I really dislike and that prevents me from buying it.

Thanks,

Thanks. ESR can only be applied to 1 exam and if you give another GMAT, you will have to buy ESR activation code again.

I hated question pack 1 for the same reasons. For RCs I used to write down the time when I started a passage and made sure that I finished a passage + questions in 6-8 minutes maximum. For question pack 1, if I got 1 question for a new passage , I would time myself to keep myself within 3-3.5 minutes while for another question for the same passage I would keep myself within 1-1.2 minutes. This way , the total time I spent on 1 passage would come out to be in the range 6-8 minutes.

This method is not the most ideal but did work for me.

Hope this helps.

All the best with your next attempt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '18 (A)
Send PM
Congratulations for your score.
Can you tell that for a verbal score of 41-44, approximately many number of questions did you answer incorrectly.
And how many questions should be answered correctly in first 10.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
Harley1980, thanks.

In this attempt , I felt that (be it during mocks or the actual GMAT) the correct answer was very easy to pick once you understood the implied meaning/ structure be it SC, CR or RC questions. Stick to a method in verbal and you will be rewarded. Yes, I did do a lot of courses just because I have a very particular method of study and I need to feel comfortable in order to understand concepts vi a particular method of teaching. For me, a combination of these methods worked.

Hi Engr2012,

Thanks,

Hello tronghieu1987

In question pack 1 you can choose option "In sequence" and select all questions then you will receive all passage questions one by one.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
Harley1980, thanks.

Hi Engr2012,

Thanks,

Hello tronghieu1987

In question pack 1 you can choose option "In sequence" and select all questions then you will receive all passage questions one by one.

Thanks Harley for the hint. However, what I need from Questions Pack 1 is the ability to create 41-question-Verbal mini tests, one by one. Selecting all questions will not make sense. Regard to this problem, I think we should stick to GMAT Prep collections, provided that they are not completely depleted. The quality of questions between the two probably is the same, while there are many explanations for GMAT Prep questions available, one thing that Questions Pack lacks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ishitathukral wrote:
Can you tell that for a verbal score of 41-44, approximately many number of questions did you answer incorrectly.

Of course he/she would not know. I think you probably want to have a look at this topic gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html, or you can figure the answer your-self by making your won scenarios.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Send PM
ishitathukral wrote:

No one can tell you how many incorrect questions were there based on the actual GMAT but the 2 GMATPREP that I gave just before my GMAT 3 attempt, I got a V42 and V41 with 6 and 9 incorrect respectively. Number of incorrect in the first 10 were 3 each. This just goes to show that the algorithm behind GMATPREP and GMAT is much more complex that a simple "what/if" scenario and I for one do not agree with such scenarios.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '18 (A)
Send PM
Ok. Thanks a lot :)
all the best for your application rounds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Information Technology (Real Estate)
Send PM
This is great thank you! I am prepping for a third attempt myself with my last score at 710. Would you mind sharing your study schedule between test 2 and 3? i.e. hours, how you practiced, etc. I am struggling with how to best approach my practice and study habits this time around. Thank you again!
SVP
SVP
Send PM