Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [160]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 670 to 760 (Q49/V44, IR 8, AWA 6.0) - No Stone Unturned for 8 Months [#permalink]
Kudos
Nice detailed debrief :-D You have the exact breakups as I have apart from IR. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Re: 670 to 760 (Q49/V44, IR 8, AWA 6.0) - No Stone Unturned for 8 Months [#permalink]
Kudos
Alchemist14 wrote:
Congratz on your superb score!

You mention that Kaplan Premier Tests were very good, even I am using the KapTests from the Kaplan Premier 2015 Book, however I feel the score they provide is inflated- I got a 720 Q51 V 30 after 12 mistakes in quant and 20 mistakes in verbal, Is Q51 even possible after 12 mistakes?

What is your insights on the scoring they provide? Is it worth the time and effort taking Kaplan's Cats considering the inflated score?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ray

I felt the same way about some of the scoring on the tests. Looking at a standard score table, I agree that some of Kaplan's scoring can seem skewed. I had a couple of Kaplan tests that were inflated. I wasn't as worried about their scoring, though, as much as I was trying to mimic the test difficulty. In this area, I think Kaplan is as good as GMAT Prep. Compared to a Veritas or MGMAT test, the Kaplan tests "felt" difficult at the right times and seemed to follow an adaptive algorithm much like the official tests do.

Given my prep schedule, I wanted to get all the non-official tests out of the way so that I could finish up with the GMAT Prep tests. The main benefit of using the Kaplan Premier tests was the repetition of 5 tests (6th one is in the book). I was diligent about taking a test every weekend, so instead of worrying about the score too much, I was building up the stamina and understanding how to switch my brain to different types of logic every couple of minutes. For this reason, to answer your question, I do think the Kaplan Premier tests are worth the effort.

The only reason I would worry about their final scoring is if it fluctuates dramatically. If you're scoring around 720 each time, then don't worry too much. If you're getting a lot of fluctuation, it might be the test algorithm, getting lucky/unlucky on some questions, or weakness in certain content areas. In any case, use all the non-official tests early on and save the score analysis for the GMAT Prep tests. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Alchemist14 wrote:
Yes!

What you tell makes a lot of sense. In 3 kaplan tests my scores were 720, 710 and 710 and I used to sweat after the Kaplan Verbal section. Their Verbal was way too extreme escpecially the RC. But their tests are helping me build stamina.

Thank you for the advice :)

One item you mentioned previously was that you were looking at number of questions missed. I don't think that's the best way to approach an assessment of a practice test. Look at the location of the missed question to gauge your performance. For example, if you missed a few questions at the end, it's probably not a bad thing because they were at your difficulty level, since a CAT will adjust it's difficulty to your ability. However, if you were missing questions in the beginning of the section, then it's either some test-taking issues or fundamental concepts that need retooling. Good luck with the prep!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
gr8 debrief ... +1 to you and your efforts to summarize the stuff for us :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 01-17-2013
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
This is the single best summary covering ALL components of studying for the GMAT that I've read on this site. Major kudos, and thank you for writing. You deserve that incredible score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Great score! Congratulations.

Can you please provide details how often you studied every day and did you take time off from work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
khanaaa wrote:
Great score! Congratulations.

Can you please provide details how often you studied every day and did you take time off from work.

Thank you! On weekdays I studied maybe 1-3 hours each night, and on weekends about 4-6 hours. I didn't take any time off from work besides normal holidays. By doing practice tests every Saturday, I got into the habit of a normal 5-day work week and prepping myself mentally on Friday nights for the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM