Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: McDonough '15
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink]
don't give up
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
esoteric, did it help you to take so many CAT's? Weren't you exhausted mentally on the test day? Do you think that you should have reduced their number?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: McDonough '15
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
esoteric, did it help you to take so many CAT's? Weren't you exhausted mentally on the test day? Do you think that you should have reduced their number?

I took many CAT's for two reasons.

First, I felt like I needed to get as acclimated to the test as much as possible. That's why I tried to mirror a real test-taking experience everytime I did my CAT's (including using the noteboard and marker pen, doing the AWA everytime, etc.). I was fairly decent at doing the practice problems out of the OG and GMATClub, but a test environment is much different as there are other factors at play, such as time and test-taking stamina. This was my very first attempt at the GMAT so I wanted to do as much as I could to reduce the element of surprise. I'm not a traditionally good test taker so I did not want to leave any stone unturned in my test prep.

Second, my scaled scores for Quant and Verbal were all over the place. My Quant ranged from 43-48 and my Verbal ranged from 32-44. The GMAT felt like a crapshoot, so I wanted to do everything I could to fix this. I thought more practice wouldn't hurt, so I opted to do a lot of CAT's.

Looking back, it might have been better if I did less CAT's, since I plan to retake it now. I only have 2 untouched MGMAT CAT's left to use in my test prep, and I don't feel like its enough.

And yeah, it's definitely exhausting, but it helps. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
esoteric, looking back, do you think it would be better if you had worked more on improving your gaps rather than taking CAT's? Was it really productive? And my last question: Did it help you to increase your score?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
well that` pretty discouraging taking into account the fact that you are a native speaker and have scored only 35 on Verbal.

I believe you can do better :)

good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts