It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

*700* An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17089 [2], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
*700* An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (02:04) correct 37% (02:13) wrong based on 396 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that the relative scarcity of housing in a particular market leads to larger than normal increases in price. During the late 1990s, according to the analyst's report, occupancy rates-a measure of the percentage of housing occupied at a given time-in crowded urban markets such as New York and San Francisco hovered around 99.5%. During the same period, housing prices increased by as much as 100% per year, compared to more normal past increases in the range of 5% to 15% per year. Which of the following is an assumption that supports the analyst's assertion?

A. In the housing market, there generally must be at least five buyers per seller in order to cause larger than normal increases in price.

B. Increases in demand often reflect an influx of new buyers into the marketplace or an unusual increase in buying power on the part of the customer.

C. The U.S. housing market showed a larger than average increase in the 1990s across the country, not just in crowded urban areas.

D. Price increases do not cause people to withhold their houses from the market in the hopes that prices will increase even further in the future.

E. A significant rise in housing prices in a specific area may cause some potential buyers to relocate to other, less pricey areas.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17089 [2], given: 1963

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 94 [2], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: *700* An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Cause and Effect analysis of the argument states that Scarcity causes rise in Price. Now if the assumption in option D is negated, the situation becomes Price rise causes scarcity and the argument falls flat. D should be the answer.

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 94 [2], given: 73

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Tough call between B and C. Will go with C.

souvik101990 wrote:
An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that the relative scarcity of housing in a particular market leads to larger than normal increases in price. During the late 1990s, according to the analyst's report, occupancy rates-a measure of the percentage of housing occupied at a given time-in crowded urban markets such as New York and San Francisco hovered around 99.5%. During the same period, housing prices increased by as much as 100% per year, compared to more normal past increases in the range of 5% to 15% per year. Which of the following is an assumption that supports the analyst's assertion?

A. In the housing market, there generally must be at least five buyers per seller in order to cause larger than normal increases in price.

B. Increases in demand often reflect an influx of new buyers into the marketplace or an unusual increase in buying power on the part of the customer.

C. The U.S. housing market showed a larger than average increase in the 1990s across the country, not just in crowded urban areas.

D. Price increases do not cause people to withhold their houses from the market in the hopes that prices will increase even further in the future.

E. A significant rise in housing prices in a specific area may cause some potential buyers to relocate to other, less pricey areas.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
I posted answer to this question yesterday , but I do not see my post. :(

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 59

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 14:02
Can someone explain why C is wrong here ?
OA is D

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 59

4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2324 [4], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Radhika11 wrote:
OA is D

Hello Radhika11

In this question we have cause and effect situation: scarcity of selling houses lead to price increase.
Usually when we have such cuase-effect situation in argument, we should find an assumption that ensure that effect doesn't cause "cause" or that effect doesn't have another cause.
In this argument possible another scenario: prices go up and people with houses decide not to sell them and this lead to deficit of houses. And this is ruin conclusion of analytic: "analyst asserted that the relative scarcity of housing leads to larger than normal increases in price."
Answer D ensure that this variant doesn't has place in our situation.

Answer C is wrong because it says that in other regions, which doesn't have scarcity, prices go up to. So this answer weaken conclusion of analytic, because there is another reason why prices go up.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2324 [4], given: 178

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 59

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Harley1980 wrote:
Radhika11 wrote:
OA is D

Hello Radhika11

In this question we have cause and effect situation: scarcity of selling houses lead to price increase.
Usually when we have such cuase-effect situation in argument, we should find an assumption that ensure that effect doesn't cause "cause" or that effect doesn't have another cause.
In this argument possible another scenario: prices go up and people with houses decide not to sell them and this lead to deficit of houses. And this is ruin conclusion of analytic: "analyst asserted that the relative scarcity of housing leads to larger than normal increases in price."
Answer D ensure that this variant doesn't has place in our situation.

Answer C is wrong because it says that in other regions, which doesn't have scarcity, prices go up to. So this answer weaken conclusion of analytic, because there is another reason why prices go up.

Thanks

It was helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 59

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17089 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 16:04
The question stem asks you to determine the answer choice that damages the city council's plan. Since the conclusion states that the city's finances are not negatively affected, we know that in the right answer, the city's finances MUST be negatively affected in some way. This is seen in 'C'. So you have to look at the conclusion.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17089 [0], given: 1963

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 04:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Re: *700* An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 04:59

*700* An industry analyst asserted in his recent report that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap