Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 700 Debrief [#permalink]
thx, anindame. :-D and so the long b-school process begins...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thx, DG. Means a lot coming from someone who as been as successful as you in the process. Congrats on all the acceptances! I hope I am in a similar position in a year :lol:

Could you shed some light as to where working in politics stands on the traditional/non-traditional barometer? Is more expected of me than other applicants from traditional industries on the gmat?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
politricks wrote:
Thx, DG. Means a lot coming from someone who as been as successful as you in the process. Congrats on all the acceptances! I hope I am in a similar position in a year :lol:

Could you shed some light as to where working in politics stands on the traditional/non-traditional barometer? Is more expected of me than other applicants from traditional industries on the gmat?

No, I don't think more is expected of you because you have a background in politics. Along the traditional/non-traditional barometer, you're probably in a similar space as me; I'm in the education sector. There are lots of other applicants coming from education and political backgrounds. We're less common than finance and consulting folks, but not completely non-traditional.

Keep in mind that this truly is a very holistic process. Admissions officers are telling the truth when they say that. People with amazing GMAT scores and GPAs are rejected everyday. You've accomplished a good first step, but make sure you're setting yourself up as a well-rounded candidate. Yes, you work in politics, but there is also a lot more to your story. All of those things are factored into crafting a strong b-school class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Awesome, thanks. I'll be applying in the fall and wanted to take the gmat in the first quarter of the year so I could focus on the rest of my application such as essays, recs, and message.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got my score report. Here's how things look now:

Q: 48
V: 37
Total: 700

IR: 8
AWA: 6

Does my AWA score boost my verbal creds or are they completely distinct?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 700 Debrief (NOW 720!!) [#permalink]
Took my GMAT again this morning. I can thankfully say that it was probably the last standardized test I will ever have to take. 720 Q47, V42, IR 8. A bit more detail:

As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I was planning on taking it easier in terms of studying for the retake. This is because I felt like I just didn't perform at my normal level on test day, I already had a reasonably satisfactory score, I had the basics covered and just needed to practice problems, and I just didn't want to study 3-4 hours a night anymore. Seriously though, I did not study anywhere near as hard as I did for the first take -- I dicked around for sure this time. Every day of the week I would do 20-30 questions: 10 from each section, but I did PS and SC every night. Sometimes if I felt like I wasn't putting enough effort into a section I would keep doing sets of 10 of that type until I felt satisfied. But again, I was relatively laid back for the retake. Also, in a perverse way I started to enjoy doing problem sets and practicing for the GMAT. I took GMAT Prep 1 again and miraculously scored a 760. I didn't put too much weight on it, rather I just felt confident knowing I could still swing the bat. I had one reading passage that I remembered, but everything else felt fresh.

I wasn't anxious or nervous leading up to test day. I just wanted to slay the beast and get on with my life. Luckily, I scheduled a 2pm exam time. I would always take my practice tests in the afternoon (because I would wake up around noon on saturdays) and felt that's when I performed the best. That is one thing I think is great about the GMAT: you can schedule it at almost any time. Unfortunately, I scheduled my first take at 10 am because there was nothing else available, but this time I tried to get a slot that I preferred. Learning from my mistake last time, I drank very little the day of the exam. Also, whereas last time I listened to London Grammar on the train to the test center and was in a more contemplative mood, this time I was blasting Dre's Chronic 2001. Still the D-R-E, motherf*****

Yeah, so clearly I just didn't give a damn this time. However, once I stepped into the test center and got my palm scanned, **** got real and I realized the severity of the situation. Sat down for AWA. Prompt was harder than the one I got last time, and even though I managed to crunch out the same length of response, I don't think it was as substantive as my first AWA when I got a 6; it will be interesting to see the scoring and how length is weighed vs. substance. Then IR. OMFG. I have no idea how I got an 8 again. I really thought I bombed it and was bracing for a 4 or 5. Devil's luck that I have always gotten an 8 on IR even during practice exams. One side note, I did the practice IR questions in GMAT Prep and only got 50% correct so I was a little spooked going into the exam anyways and my perceived performance didn't do me any favors.

Time for quant. I thought I was dropping the ball big time because of the number of questions I was making educated guesses on or just outright guessing, but the seesaw nature of the exam giving me extremely difficult questions followed by relatively simple ones such as a rate problem that just required a few unit manipulations kept throwing me off. But I just stuck with my strategy (if you can't figure out up from down on a question i.e. if you have no idea how to go about solving the question, within the first minute just guess and move on; some people say to just give yourself 30 seconds, but I think that is too soon to throw in the towel -- sometimes it takes a little longer to fully digest a question-- unless the question is written in cuneiform (and I had two probability questions like that so I just reread the questions to make sure I didn't know what they were asking and then clicked "C" and moved on)). Anyway, wasn't feeling too high when quant was over.

Took my break and walked in the hallway outside the test center. I told myself this is likely going to be the last standardized test I ever take so to go all out and leave nothing on the table. Went back to start verbal, kept my eyes glued to the screen attacking the questions with Chronic 2001 playing in my head: knew I was doing well when I got some tough SCs and a fill-in-the-blank for question 6 or 7. I was focused and doing well on time: 12 questions left with 30 minutes remaining. Decided to keep my foot on the pedal, but if there was a question that needed more deliberation I could afford to think it over. Must have spent at least 3 minutes each on the last 10, which were largely extremely short, but very tough SC. Thought I performed well based on the difficulty of the last 10 questions, but not sure if it would be a high 30 or somewhere in the 40s.

Clicked to see scores and was expecting to see a 6 as the first number. When I saw "72" I felt a sense of relief. Then I saw "8" and threw up a fist pump.

In total I would say I studied for about 3 months. Looking back at where I was and am now in terms of GMAT capability, the test is definitely one you can study for if you're willing to put in some time and serious effort. That means not being satisfied and having clear eyes and a full heart about what score you want and what you have to do to get it. It also means being honest with yourself. For most test takers, actually for most things in life, it comes down to how bad you want it... I'm happy I reached my goal of 720 as well as the 40-40 club. In truth, now the really tough part begins: thinking about essays, reworking the resume, preparing cheat sheets for recommenders, and gearing up for the application cycle.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 700 Debrief (NOW 720!!) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts