It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

*700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Re: *700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2013, 04:14
12bhang wrote:
Requiring is the present participle form. So, it should modify the preceding noun i.e residents. So there is no modifier error.

Why must we eliminate B ?

As a poster has noted above, this seems to be rip-off from an older OG question. However, in the process, the creator of this question curiously changed the correct option D. In the original sentence, it was: who demanded that it (this is a subjunctive construction), while in this question option D is: who required it to (this is a non-subjunctive construction).

Now, require is a funny word. It can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive format. But here is the funnier thing. Just because require can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive, does not mean that both of these would be correct in any given situation. Let’s look at a couple of correct sentences to understand this further:

1. A plural subject requires a plural verb for a correct sentence.
2. Residents required that the lumber company pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

#1 above is non-subjunctive while #2 is subjunctive. Let us now change # 2 to:

3. Residents required the lumber company to pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

If you look at this closely, this sentence is not optimal, because an illogical meaning that can be interpreted from this is that residents wanted to pay restitution for selling faulty boards, and for this, the residents required the lumber company!! (Think about it this way: Residents required money to pay restitution for selling faulty boards; now just substitute money with the lumber company).

So, in short, the correct sentence is #2 (and not #3), because there is an ambiguity in meaning in #3. At least if there is an option that does have the structure mentioned in #2, it would be preferable.

In this case, while option D in the OG question had a choice similar to #2, this question under consideration changes option D.

This, by the way, also underscores a similar problem in option B of the sentence under consideration (residents did not require the lumber company as B suggests; residents required something from the lumber company).

In fact, test takers would be advised to understand this concept well, since this will become increasingly important, given GMAT’s recent thrust on meaning related questions.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 22:59
Experts how would you rate the difficulty of this question ?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 8

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1561 [0], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:22
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The OA is D, and it must be by process of elimination, but I agree that the pronoun still makes the choice unappealing. Luckily the only singular noun before "it" is "Coca-Cola company", so there can't be much confusion as to the antecedent of the pronoun "it".

If there's still any doubt, you can't demand someone to do something. You can demand that they do something, or ask them to do something, but not demand to. (Baten80 talked about this in his post). It just doesn't work in English, so you can consider it an idiom and eliminate answer choices B, C and E.

As for difficulty level, I'd say somewhere around the 600 level mark. None of the answer choices are perfect, but D doesn't have any obvious grammatical flaws, so you can use process of elimination to end up with D. I can see why other answer choices are tempting as well.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 66

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 20:24
blueseas wrote:
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.

hi blueseas,

well I am aware of Modal auxiliary verbs and I know that we don't need a "s" there..but the thing is that I don't find any modal verb in the correct sentence..if we put D in the place of the underlined words and then re-write the sentence then it would be "In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." I cant find any modal verb here..(the option D only states this 'who demanded that it' and the underline words were "demanding that it should")..

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Director
Director

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 20:43
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

hi blueseas,

well I am aware of Modal auxiliary verbs and I know that we don't need a "s" there..but the thing is that I don't find any modal verb in the correct sentence..if we put D in the place of the underlined words and then re-write the sentence then it would be "In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." I cant find any modal verb here..(the option D only states this 'who demanded that it' and the underline words were "demanding that it should")..

hi reetabatra ,

thanks for pointing out.
seems i overlooked your post :-D

more to say. you must be aware of subjucnctive cases.

There is also a list of adjectives after which you should use that and follow them by a simple verb form:
advised necessary recommended urgent
important obligatory required imperative
mandatory proposed suggested DEMAND

so here because of demanded THAT ...WE NEED a simplest form of verb(bring).

hope its clear

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 01:28
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:
if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

As another poster has pointed out, this uses, what is called, the "subjunctive". You can search on the net and find a lot of relevant info on this. Few official examples test you on this. Example, # 54 in OG-13 (there are others as well; can dig it up):

The report recommended that the hospital eliminate unneeded beds, consolidate expensive services, and use space in other hospitals

...that hospital eliminate.... is a subjunctive structure.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 21:05
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it - The only command subjunctive available :D
(E) who demanded it to

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2013, 21:50
Hello:

I'm not an active member but if you guys would help me in clarifying my doubts would be appreciated.

142. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to
thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

OA D.

My questions on the OA
I arrived at the correct answer,but could not entirely discard E. I've read that when used as a verb "to demand" must be followed by "that." But how about demand X to do ?
Require X to do Y?

Thanks in advance

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Rotman '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 19:59
onedayill wrote:
I still doubt :

If we read sentence by substituting D:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

IT refers to ????

In this sentence, IT clearly refers to the company.
IT has an antecedent, which is the Coca-Cola company.

For that matter, consumers cannot be the antecedent, since, consumers is plural.

Hence, choice D perfectly fits the rules of pronouns and idioms (demanded that) in itself.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16205 [0], given: 1952

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 08:34
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola Company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

A. demanding that it should

B. demanding it to

C. and their demand to

D. who demanded that it

E. who demanded it to

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.86

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
D

A is an incorrect idiom
B - The way that the sentence is organized makes it seem like Coca Cola demanded the customers to bring back the original formula
C - Coca Cola yielded to a subset of customers, the customers who demanded. Coca Cola did not yield to both customers and the customer's demand.
D - Correct
E is an incorrect idiom

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 08:15
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing - prepositional phrase modifying the subject of the sentence
the Coca-Cola Company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers - main clause,
demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula - participial phrase, used to say something about the noun consumers

... here the modifier starting with demanding is introducing the subjunctive mood with that it should (bring back ...)

hints to find subjunctive mood - if the sentence is about uncertainty, wish, suggestion, demand, or condition contrary to fact
Format for Command Subjunctive - Bossy verb + THAT + command subjunctive (Manhattanprep SC)

the phrase after demanding does not have subject, so we want to introduce a subject which happens to be consumers
and since it is a subjunctive mood we must have that after the verb demand

A) this sentence does not have subject for the verb demand and in the original sentence demanding act as a adjective modifying consumers
B) no subject and is introducing the infinitive to bring without that
C) this option introduces new phrase stating that Coca-Cola yielded to both thousands of consumers and also to their demand to bring -
clearly changing the intended meaning of the original sentence that Cola yielded to consumers, not separately to both consumers as well as their demands
D) this option introduces a relative pronoun who acting as a subject of the adjective clause starting with who demanded that it,
correct
E) this correctly introduces the subject who but missed that because the adjective clause is in subjunctive mood

Answer D

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 21:52
souvik101990 wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola Company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

A. demanding that it should

B. demanding it to

C. and their demand to

D. who demanded that it

E. who demanded it to

this is old question from og 10. we should focus on the new questions in new og and gmatprep. gmat changes.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1122 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Actually, thanvietnam, you'd be surprised at how old most of the questions in OG13 and GMATPrep are. Some of them have been around since I first started working with the GMAT in 2000. Anyway, the grammar issues here are still 100% current and valid.

And speaking of how old I am, I can't believe that it's already been 30 years since New Coke came out . . . ;)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1122 [1], given: 29

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 12:52
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [1], given: 44

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Demand is subjunctive and must be followed by THAT.

there is no need to use SHOULD after demand.

D is correct.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 85 [1], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 02:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Souvik,

Here is how I approached this one:

The first rule that came to my mind in the first read - to use "demanded THAT" remove usage of " Should.

Second - I cut out the extra words and went with D option as it makes most sense:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing,the Coca-Cola companyin July 1985 yielded tothousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing,the Coca-Cola companyin July 1985 yielded tothousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

Took about a minute to arrive at the correct solution.

souvik101990 wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 62

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 379 [1], given: 177

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

in subjunctive mood we cannot use "should"

(B) demanding it to
after demanding we need "that"

(C) and their demand to
yielded to their demand?

(D) who demanded that it
correct

(E) who demanded it to
need that after demanded

Kudos [?]: 379 [1], given: 177

Re: *700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2015, 12:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ]