It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

*700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: *700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 01:28
good job aimtoteach

Quote:
Choice D, the best answer, uses the grammatically correct expression demanded that it bring back, in which
demanded that it is followed by the subjunctive verb bring. Choice A incorrectly uses should bring rather than
bring: demanding that already conveys the idea of "should," and at any rate a modal auxiliary verb, such as
should or must, cannot grammatically follow the expression demanded that. Similarly, B and E use the
ungrammatical expression demanding/demanded it to. In C, the expression yielded to... customers and their
demand to bring... unnecessarily states that the company yielded to the customers as well as to their
demand.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 23:45
[quote="souvik101990"]good job aimtoteach

Thanks Souvik :-D

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 15:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
can someone explain the use of the -ing modifier in B

I get the correct form is the command subjunctive and got this right, but unclear on the exact reasons of ruling out B.

Is B ruled out because it needs to be in either command or passive subjunctive form / because it implies a present participle tense.

Is there other situations where DEMAND can be put as a present participle?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.36
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 22:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
btg9788 wrote:
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Demanded that is in subjunctive mood, hence we have to drop the 's' for a singular verb
We should understand who is actually demanding (yielded kin do means to complete a demand) hence it does not make sense if the company is doing the demanding.
Hence A,B,C are out.
Subjunctive verb must be followed by "That" hence I went for 'D'

Experts please check if my line of reasoning is correct
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 13:15
AV19 wrote:
btg9788 wrote:
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Demanded that is in subjunctive mood, hence we have to drop the 's' for a singular verb
We should understand who is actually demanding (yielded kin do means to complete a demand) hence it does not make sense if the company is doing the demanding.
Hence A,B,C are out.
Subjunctive verb must be followed by "That" hence I went for 'D'

Experts please check if my line of reasoning is correct

Yes, you have nicely pointed out both the issues (the subjunctive issue and the modifier issue). For command subjunctive, we use the raw form of the verb (the infinitive form without to) irrespective of whether the verb is singular or plural.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 23:07
If you know your grammar then this question can be solved in 10 seconds.
This question has nothing to do with idioms and parallel structure and all that blah blah blah that many people get lost in.
This is a question about MOOD.

"Demading" is a verb that indicates Subjunctive mood The other 3 moods in grammar are Indicative, Infinitive and Imperative )
Subjunctive mood never takes SHOULD, TO in its construction .
Subjunctive mood always takes "THAT" in its construction

A. demanding that it should
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

Forget looking for idioms and parallelism in every question. There are many other things that GMAT test.
Learn :- Tenses, Mood, Voice, SV agreement . You will be superbly rewarded.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 22:42
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola Company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

A. demanding that it should

B. demanding it to

C. and their demand to

D. who demanded that it

E. who demanded it to

Demand is a bossy verb. so should is wrong.

Demand X to do y is unidiomatic.
so B, C and E wrong.
Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 23:47
I narrow these down to the ones that had *who* in them, but if you aren't certain that you need who after consumers, you can look at which ones are in past tense ie match the non underlined part *yielded* Demanded that is the correct idiom.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 18:12
Merged topics. please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
B
*700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 08:53
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it --> If we use this option, will the sv agreement still hold? says,"who demand that it bring. Shouldn't it be brings?
(E) who demanded it to
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 02:34
Ayrish wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

How can D be right? It sounds super awkward

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumerswho demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

I MEAN HOW?

WHO DEMANDED TO= can be a good choice but its not here

explain? I favored E
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:09
pritishbhuyan wrote:

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it --> If we use this option, will the sv agreement still hold? says,"who demand that it bring. Shouldn't it be brings?
(E) who demanded it to

Hello pritishbhuyan,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. However, i would still like to present the explanation to clarify the doubt raised. :-)

There is no issue with the subject-verb pair it bring back. It is so because usage of the word demand requires use of Subjunctive Verb which is always plural irrespective of the number of the subject. For example:

The teacher suggested that Paul undergo the formal training before the tournament.

The module dealing with Verbs in our SC course has a section dedicated to Subjunctive Verbs.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rocko911 wrote:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumerswho demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

I MEAN HOW?

explain? I favored E

Hello rocko911,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

There are certain verbs, generally considered "bossy", that requires use of Subjunctive Verb. Now Subjunctive Verbs are always plural and hence appear to counter the Subject-Verb agreement rules when used with singular subjects.

The structure of Subjunctive verbs are "bossy" verb + that + subject + plural verb.

Some words that require use of Subjunctive words are demand, insist, request, suggest, mandate, recommend, etc.

Since the official sentence in question uses the "bossy" word demand, it MUST be followed by Subjunctive Verb.

This is the reason why the structure in Choice D - who demanded that it bring back - is correct because we cannot use to bring back (to verb phrase) with demand. Hence, Choice E is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 04:07
egmat wrote:
rocko911 wrote:

I MEAN HOW?

explain? I favored E

Hello rocko911,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

There are certain verbs, generally considered "bossy", that requires use of Subjunctive Verb. Now Subjunctive Verbs are always plural and hence appear to counter the Subject-Verb agreement rules when used with singular subjects.

The structure of Subjunctive verbs are "bossy" verb + that + subject + plural verb.

Some words that require use of Subjunctive words are demand, insist, request, suggest, mandate, recommend, etc.

Since the official sentence in question uses the "bossy" word demand, it MUST be followed by Subjunctive Verb.

This is the reason why the structure in Choice D - who demanded that it bring back - is correct because we cannot use to bring back (to verb phrase) with demand. Hence, Choice E is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi, I have heard about using the term 'be' in subjunctive sentences...

Can u please provide me all types of formats of subjunctive and when to use 'be' and when to not, and when to use other subjunctive formats?

It will be really helpful!!

Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
rocko911

Please see this post.

Hope this helps!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 19:02
adkikani

Thank you very much for providing the link for subjunctive verb. I was looking for one and luckily found it here.

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh

Re: *700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2018, 19:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 

*700* In one of the most stunning reversals in the history

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap