Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 720 and 750 in OG Mock but 640 in real test... [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Rookie282b,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Since it's been approximately 7 months since we last discussed your studies - and your Official Score is fairly close to a number of CAT/mock results that you reported back in October, before we discuss any of the potential issues that could have impacted you on this attempt, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying over the last 7 months:

1) How many hours were you typically studying each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Since you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rookie282b wrote:
Hello!

I am facing this issue and as I searched for it throughout the forums, I couldnt find a similar question so I wanted to ask it here, perhaps it could help someone else too.
I have done 2 OG mock exams, under proper test conditions, and my scores have been 720 and 750 respectively. I had my GMAT exam today and I got 640. I am a surprised because I know that my understanding of concepts and solving strategies are solid. I do think stress played a big role but also test center was not great, there was 1 test taker next to me that asked the exam administrator several questions, it was a small room and I could easily hear him, I remember that I had to re-read questions many times because of this.
But besides stress and noise, I want to ask the community here, aren't official mock exams a good indication of what score you'd get in the real exam? at most with a margin of error of +/- 50 points? Is the online exam a better solution? Has anyone else faced this and what did you do?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi Rookie282b,

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. There could be a couple of reasons for the drop in the score. Please go through the article below to find out the probable reasons.

Scored well on mocks but failed miserably on the test?

Stress could be one of the probable reasons too.

Having said that, it would be too early to conclude anything without knowing the actual reason. To understand what could have led to the drop in the score and to suggest you the plan of action, I need a little more information about your GMAT preparation. I would like to know more about

• the way you prepared till now (your study strategy)
  • your weak areas
  • your approach of solving questions
  • the resources you have used

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. And I personally suggest to go for the retake only after you prepared well and are 100% confident.

Coming to Official mocks, the official mocks are believed to be the closest to the actual exam. Hence, they are the most reliable ones to analyse your performance.

Having said that, I would like to have a one-on-one conversation with you. The discussion would be mostly around the answers to the above questions, the approximate time you have for the next attempt and the plan of action. If you have an ESR with you, that will be even more helpful to get the insights about your performance. You use use the link below to schedule a call with me.
Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Rookie282b,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Since it's been approximately 7 months since we last discussed your studies - and your Official Score is fairly close to a number of CAT/mock results that you reported back in October, before we discuss any of the potential issues that could have impacted you on this attempt, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying over the last 7 months:

1) How many hours were you typically studying each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Since you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Thanks for your response. I actually didnt study for a while. Beginning of April I began reading Manhattan Prep All the Quant book and solving its questions. I solved all of Manhattan Prep Quant online questions, around 100 Official GMAT Practice questions and around 100 Official GMAT Advanced questions. I reviewed all the correct as well as incorrect questions and have error log. I also did two Official GMAT mocks, First one on 24th of April, I got 720 Q44 V44, the second mock was on May 8th, I got 750 Q49 V42. Between the mocks I continued to review the manhattan prep book concepts and strategies. I also watched GMAT Ninja Verbal tutorial on Youtube.
I purchased ESR and I agree with you that it doesn't provide as much insights as I hoped. In the real test I got 640 Q41 V38.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rookie282b,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich

GMAT Club Bot