Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: 720 - Retake? - Please Share Your View [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Isildur,

Thank you for sharing your concern. Based on the information I have, here are my two cents:

GMAT score is just one data point for the adcom to consider out of your entire package, it is often regarded as evidence of academic excellence. If you have a high undergraduate GPA and a high GMAT grade, you'll actually be able to show the adcom that you can crack their program's curriculum, and they'll move on to consider other facets of your candidacy.

M7 business school states that they evaluate candidates holistically, which means that the GMAT is just one component of the submission. It simply means that your GMAT score is outstanding and capable of handling a demanding MBA curriculum. The 750-800 range counts as “very impressive,” and if you’re looking for scholarships, the higher, the better.

Your targeted business school’s average GMAT range spans from a 722 to a 732. If you think you will get a 750 or better, it would indeed support your application. But, unless you're reasonably confident that you can do so. As in, you haven't already studied your heart out and know that there's considerable space for improvement. You may want to read this article on the Importance of GMAT score. It will help you give a good idea about your chances and instil “right” confidence.

Aside from your GMAT score, the number of factors such as your work experience, ECs, international experience, impact, post-MBA goals and so on will play an important role. I'd like to get to know your profile in-depth, and if we're successful in gauging impactful stories, you’ll just need to concentrate on your apps. Your essays, work profile, and how smartly you weave the narrative will play a much more significant role.

Hope it helps!

If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and answer any of your concerns. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

Isildur wrote:
Hello,

I've recently started a topic on whether I should retake the GMAT under Share GMAT Experience section. I've been told that I'd better ask admission experts for their thoughts. So let me quickly repeat my question:

A short info about me so that you can better evaluate my question:
Middle Eastern
Undergrad - Top 5 domestic university
MSc - Top 20 world university
Current Industry - PE

I've just received 720 (Q50, V38, IR6). Considering I aim for M7, do you think I should retake the exam or continue as it is and start focusing on essays etc.?

I've not previously scored 720 with official mocks. I am fully aware and agree that a retake may not necessarily translate into a higher score. I particularly aim for, and aim to apply to all within the first round (thats actually why I took my GMAT this early) H/S/W + CBS/Booth/Sloan/LBS.

As you can imagine H/S/W are my priorities...

I am not an expert on this stuff that's why I asked for your valuable thoughts on this issue. If my score were 700, I would definitely go for it. However, as it is 720, which is almost the median/mean, I am not very sure whether the time I will spend will worth the result (its not even certain) and the potential incremental change will change my chances.

What I think is, although not sure, considering I come from a relatively less competitive pool than other countries and from a competitive background, 720 should do the job.

But again, I really have no idea, thats why I kindly ask you to share your valuable thoughts.

Many thanks for your responses...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Isildur wrote:
GMATinsight Thank you very much. So you think I'm in the ballpark for H/S/W in terms of GMAT?

Btw, I've just received my official score, AWA: 6

Isildur

I have students who made it to Harvard 720, Wharton 710, Stanford 720 so I would say yes you can definitely be optimist because GMAT scores have limited contribution when it comes to assessment of your applucation. Profile starts playing its role after you qualify the benchmark of minimum GMAT threshold

There will always be individuals who will suspect that your GMAT may be on lower side but H-S-W reject applicants with even 800 GMAT scores so I don't buy the argument.

Better GMAT score can definitely improve chances of scholarship but for admission, I think now its time for essays and profile to speak up. :)

All the best! :)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Isildur wrote:
Hello,

I've recently started a topic on whether I should retake the GMAT under Share GMAT Experience section. I've been told that I'd better ask admission experts for their thoughts. So let me quickly repeat my question:

A short info about me so that you can better evaluate my question:
Middle Eastern
Undergrad - Top 5 domestic university
MSc - Top 20 world university
Current Industry - PE

I've just received 720 (Q50, V38, IR6). Considering I aim for M7, do you think I should retake the exam or continue as it is and start focusing on essays etc.?

I've not previously scored 720 with official mocks. I am fully aware and agree that a retake may not necessarily translate into a higher score. I particularly aim for, and aim to apply to all within the first round (thats actually why I took my GMAT this early) H/S/W + CBS/Booth/Sloan/LBS.

As you can imagine H/S/W are my priorities...

I am not an expert on this stuff that's why I asked for your valuable thoughts on this issue. If my score were 700, I would definitely go for it. However, as it is 720, which is almost the median/mean, I am not very sure whether the time I will spend will worth the result (its not even certain) and the potential incremental change will change my chances.

What I think is, although not sure, considering I come from a relatively less competitive pool than other countries and from a competitive background, 720 should do the job.

But again, I really have no idea, thats why I kindly ask you to share your valuable thoughts.

Many thanks for your responses...

Hello Isildur,

Thank you for your post. HBS is really random, as is GSB. So a 720 GMAT can work at these schools but it becomes more of an unknown at a Wharton which is more quant-focused.

I am curious about your undergrad GPA, as this has some bearing on my advice to you. If you have a very strong GPA, this score may suffice. On the other hand, if your GPA was on the lower side, you will want a higher GMAT to demonstrate that you are prepared for the academic rigor of these programs.

If you do want to maximize your score, Personal MBA Coach’s industry-leading tutors (think 770-800, way more than most firm’s 99th percentile) can help you overcome weaknesses and teach you new tricks.

That said, academics are only one portion of the equation. A lot will come down to how you articulate your goals and personal story – both key components of our comprehensive services.

Do not hesitate to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com to further discuss this decision regarding a GMAT retake, as well as other ways to enhance your candidacy.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everyone. Thank you very much for your invaluable posts. That's very kind of you.

Based on what I read here, I've decided to not to retake the GMAT exam. I believe it is not worth the time and, even if so, there's no guarantee that I will increase my score. As I previously said, if my score were 700, I would definitely go for it, but since it is 720, I can see that my score puts me in the ballpark for all schools (in GMAT terms only). So my question asking your opinions whether I should retake the exam has reached its goal.

In addition, I want to thank you for allowing me to reach out to you to discuss further about my application and your services. I am confident that the help I can get from kind people like you would help me throughout the process. However, I unfortunately does not have the financial means for such a service. Yes, I work in the PE industry, but considering the fact that I am paid in my country's currency, which is very very very low, and that I take care of my family, I hope you understand it. I simply cannot afford an international service. That's why I had to start, and started, this journey with a domestic consultant.

Some of you asked about my background. I come from a unique background, and through a very difficult life. So, I hope you understand that I do not want to share it on a forum that everyone can read.

If you have any further advice for me, I would really appreciate it :)

Warm regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you would be kind enough, I actually have one question for you people. Just because I believe the more opinion I get, the better it would be.

How should I continue with the rest of the process? I mean, how to start the brainstorming process for my essays? The way I need to think to connect my background with my aspirations. Also, what and how to search for the school specific info to use within my essays, not to sound generic? Etc.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Isildur wrote:
If you would be kind enough, I actually have one question for you people. Just because I believe the more opinion I get, the better it would be.

How should I continue with the rest of the process? I mean, how to start the brainstorming process for my essays? The way I need to think to connect my background with my aspirations. Also, what and how to search for the school specific info to use within my essays, not to sound generic? Etc.

Hello Isildur,

When Personal MBA Coach meets with a new candidate, we start by asking a lot of questions. We talk about everything the applicant has done, often starting from childhood. You should start with a similar brainstorming process for your essays.

1. Make a list of everything you have done in your life and take the time to write it all down. Think carefully about the decisions you have made, activities you enjoy and, most importantly, why you made those choices.
    2. Think about your future goals. What do you want to do after you earn your MBA and, again, why?
    3. Next, look for a theme! What single idea connects items from #1 and #2? This is the hard part, so give it time.

Essay editing is part of our comprehensive services. Feel free to send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com to learn how we can help you put together strong essays/applications!

Best,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Send PM
720 - Retake? - Please Share Your View [#permalink]
PersonalMBACoach

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. I think I was trying to start with a theme and thats why I was getting stucked. Apparently, it should come last :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Isildur wrote:

Hi Isildur

There are a bunch of things you can get going with right away. Some of them are:
- Start thinking about your goals and shaping them up. What do you want to do post the MBA? Why can't you do it without the MBA? Apart from the brand name, what attracts you to M7 schools?
- Think through your personal stories. What elements have shaped you as a person? How do they connect with where you are now?
- Connect with students at target schools to understand the schools and their offerings better
GMAT Club Bot