Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink]
el1981 wrote:
Audio wrote:
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience. I just took the exam today, and I got 750.

My prep material was:

- Manhattan verbal books. I didn't open the RC and CR ones though. As a non-English native (although I have a very good grasp of English), SC book was essential. It really helped me improve my verbal skills.

- Math challenges. Great practice for maths. I recommend this to everybody, especially considering the price, best value for money I've seen. https://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests

- OG ed.11. Good basic practice exercices.

- 1000 tests.

Background: I studied business in uni, with a strong emphasis on maths, chemistry and physics in the first years (commercial engineer, for those of you who understand what it means). So I've always been comfortable with figures and speed tests (did CFA 1st level too). I lived in several English-speaking countries, so I'm quite comfortable with the language, but I'm not perfectly bilingual. Some idioms were a bit tricky for example.

I'll split my explanations in maths and verbal.

Math

I did almost all the challenges, and did the difficult exercices in the OG. Maths was always going to be easier for me than verbal. I did have to polish my math theory, ecause I forgot a lot.

My recommendation would be the following for those of you who are not poor in maths (sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging): the OG math theory is sufficient to revise most of the principles you need to know. What really helped though were the "tricks", for example in order to add several consecutive integers, take the middle figure and multiply it by the number of figures, etc. This could sound like basic stuff for the math gurus, but I forgot most of this, and it's VERY VERY useful in a test where speed is essential. Anything that can make you save time is good, you'll defo need it. Surf on the math forum to check for this.

Also, knowing that you can use several methods to find answers was very useful - this might sound very stupid, but before going on the forum I never thought of replacing figures in the different results, etc. Try to identify the easiest method for each question. I still made that mistake in the exam, trying to solve a complicated problem without replacing, cost me 1.5 minutes, which was ridiculous.

Also, you HAVE to know the basic stuff inside out: 1 is not prime, 0 is even and isn't negative or positive, etc. The corrolary of this is: read the question CAREFULLY. If we speak about a POSITIVE INTEGER, you can forget about -0.5. Inversely, an integer can also be sq2. NEVER forget to test special figures such as 1 and 0 in the DS questions.

The best practice I found were the challenges, that are - I reckon - quite similar to what you are going to get on the GMAT. COngrats to the peopld who contributed to their creation btw, you guys are spot on. Well done. 79$ for that kind of practice is ridiculously low (especially with the very high euro :-D ), don't hesitate and get it!

This is all I used for maths, and it was enough. I don't think I could increase my 49 without practicing like a nutter - not worth it. I think that was my limit.

Verbal

I'm not very good in verbal. Like all the international students, I struggled with SC. I practiced RC and CR with the 1000 tests (did 120 of each), and that was enough for me. I studied SC with the Manhattan book. I would like to stress here that this book was a BIBLE for me. SC was much clearer to me after that, as well as understanding the 3/2 concept. I would recommend all the international students to get this book.

Last remark: I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam. Regular studying + 2 weeks intensive before the exam should do it (I took 2.5 weeks off, where I wrote a couple of essays and studied).

Anyway, if you have questions, please don't hesitate!

PS: sorry for the totally incoherent post structure, I can't be ars*d reading it again :)

Hi Audio! Congrats on your score!!!
I'm also international student. I'm strugling with GMAT for more than 2 years. I took my test and i got 480 and my goal is at least 700. I work full time and i think i don't dedicate enough time to prepare for this exam. After work i feel tired and spaced out. I'm thinking to quit my job so i can study efficiently 6-7hours a day. However, i wonder what did you mean by saying this "I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam"? What would be your advise to me? Thanks in advance.

Ok, I don't know how good or bad you are, but apparently you need to study quite a lot. If you can afford to quit your job, why not? However, I don't know your situation, but I think it's a very risky tactic. I mean, this is simply the first step of a VERY long process. Can you afford to quit your job for more than a year?

Otherwise, I'd just say: grab you balls in your hand and work it out. Nobody had it easy, studying for the GMAT while working. It all depends on how bad you want it.

Finally, what I meant by not believing in studying 6 months before the exam is that that's a very long period; there's a risk of getting bored / forgetting what you studied before.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Schools:ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Well done. Congrats.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Again, for the 3/2 rule, check the verbal forum (there is I believe a newcomer post), you should find it easily.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
what is 3/2 rule?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thats quite an inspiring debrief... Congratulations
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Q49 V42 is a great balanced score. Congrats !
In all the practice tests I have taken, I cant cross 33 in verbal :(
Can you enlighten approx how many did you do wrong in verbal to get 42 ? Any rough idea ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
hey guys,

for those who still don't understand the 3/2 rule it goes like this:

Sentence

Pick the answer:

has blablabla
have blablabla
have blablabla
has blablabla
have blablabla

As you can see there is a pattern here. You can see that there are three "have" sentences and two "has" sentences. If you spot this pattern you will be able to eliminate 2-3 choices right away if you can figure what is the subject. It does not happen in every single SC question on the GMAT but it will help you a lot. I am also international student and it helps me as well
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Congrats,

What are these 1000 tests?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
coelholds wrote:
Congrats,

What are these 1000 tests?

These are the SC,CR and RC's 1000 questions on each topic.
You can search the forum and you can find the link
Suspended Member
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
How much time will you suggest for a decent preparation for a average guy???

Even i do agree 6 months would be a bit too much!!!!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
waiwai wrote:
Q49 V42 is a great balanced score. Congrats !
In all the practice tests I have taken, I cant cross 33 in verbal :(
Can you enlighten approx how many did you do wrong in verbal to get 42 ? Any rough idea ?

It was such a lon time ago, can't really remember, plus I don't really know which ones I got wrong :-D

However, what I can tell you is that mistakes in verbal are more "severely" punished than mistakes in math - that was my impression anyway. Mistakes in verbal drag your score down quicker than mistakes in math I thought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Send PM
congrats mate.. Thanx for ur valuable inputs too .. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Impressive score and nice post!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
congrates !! great score.

WHat is the 3/2 rule ? I recently landed here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
trips wrote:
congrates !! great score.

WHat is the 3/2 rule ? I recently landed here

The 3/2 rule is , In some GMAT question , out of 5 answer choices, you will be able to identify similiar answer choices with a 3:2 split. You could use this rule to quickly identify the wrong answer choices. This can also be used for making a better guess when you have narrowed down quickly to 2 / 3 answer choices which seem correct.

For eg :

Jose's mother calls him lazy because he doesnt clean his room
Joses mother calls him lazy because he doesnt clean his room
Jose's mother calls him lazy because Jose doesnt clean his room
Jose's mother calls Jose lazy because he doesnt clean his room.
Joses mother calls Jose lazy because he doesnt clean his room.

If you see the answer choices you can see that there are three answer choices with calls him lazy and 2 with calls Jose lazy. If you have your SC skills intact you would identify that this is testing your knowledge on possesives.

Immediately you would narrow down to two options D, E, and now you can hopefully figure out the answer is D, as D correctly uses a possesive apostrophe to decribe Jose's mother.

You can also see another 3: 2 split in this question with Joses mother and Jose's mother. You can slo use this to find out the correct answer. In this case (amongst answer choice A, C, D) you will see that in between "calls him" and "calls Jose", him has no direct refferent in the sentence, and is ambiguous. Again D is the correct answr choice. Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
great post..congratulations.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder