Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 760 GMAT, but epic fail in Round 3 - What Now? [#permalink]
Hi,

The avg. work experience in these b-schools is 6-7 yrs. So, I believe that you still stand a chance in H/S/W & others. BTW, did you get any feedback from the schools? You need to retrospect that what went wrong in your application. I believe that to be able to apply in M-7 schools you must submit/present strong application essays & work hard on interviews. You must target either R-1 or R-2.

Let me know if you require any assistance in school selection or profile evaluation. You may PM your details for discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

JLMBancredito wrote:
GMAT: 760 (49Q/44V)
GPA: 3.63 (ivy undergrad - chemistry/econ); 3.40 (top 5 law school)
USA - Living/working in South America for past 4 years

I applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Booth in Round 3. I applied Round 3 because I took the GMAT in late December, 2012. I got rejected by Harvard and Stanford and obtained interviews from Wharton and Booth, but got rejected at Wharton and am expecting a rejection from Booth (phone interview that did not go well).

Background: As a result of a poor decision in undergrad, I went directly to law school and worked as a corporate lawyer for several years. I left that life behind 4 years ago to pursue my interests in social enterprise in South America. I the process I became fluent in Spanish and now manage microfinance projects across 6 LatAm countries for a tech-based startup company. In my new career I'm advancing steadily and now oversee one other person and I have 30 months of experience. In my old career (law), I had 34 months of experience.

I'm seeking an MBA because I hope to advance to the next level (manage teams, drive strategy, launch a microfinance bank, etc.) in the social enterprise/international development space. I plan to remain in Latin America long term.

Extracurricularly I've launched 2 startup companies in South America, one of which has annual revenues of about $100k US. I used to be a semi-pro runner while I worked in the law firm.

My main question is, now what? Should I take a shot next year in round 1? I applied aggressively in Round 3 this year because of my age. I'm 32 now and will be 34 if I start in fall 2014. Will schools consider my age in terms of my new career rather than my chronological age? Or am I screwed because of my age?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Wow....looking at your profile I can clearly see why I got rejected at HBS in R3 8-)

Not sure what went wrong but I'd assume that the essays were not an issue (or were they?)

One other opportunity in order to save time --> Columbia for Jan 14 intake...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Sorry for your situation as I see you as a competitive applicant at all of these schools. However, applying last round to the world's most competitive business schools definitely places you at a disadvantage. If you really want to go to business school (and one of this caliber), you need to re-apply. I would recommend that you do not re-apply to HBS as they are tough on re-applicants (they do not like to admit they made a mistake). However, I see you as competitive at all other schools.

If you are going to re-apply to some of the same schools you applied to this time, I would recommend that you take a hard look at your application and see how you can better present yourself. Simply put, what you presented this time did not work so do not assume it will work in earlier rounds the next time. The good news is that I see lots of interesting aspects to your candidacy that if properly presented will make you stand out from the masses of candidates who apply.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate the feedback. In taking the GMAT in December 2012, I started studying in October 2012. As soon as I finished the GMAT, I started writing my essays and worked steadily on them through March 2013. Then interview preparation occupied most of April 2013, followed by responses from the schools. In the end, business school preparations/applications/waiting occupied my thoughts for 8 consecutive months.

For now, I'm taking a break from all business school related activities until mid July.

As an interesting aside, I learned through a contact who works at Wharton that the school admitted one (1) person in round three this year.
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Similar to some of the other respondents, I see your "raw" profile as being competitive for top level schools, however your Round 3 application has likely hurt your chances (especially at HBS) since you don't have much time to build up and improve on your profile before the next application cycle. It is important to be able to show how you've become a more competitive applicant since last time.

Another comment is that you should not assume that your results were *only* because of your Round 3 application timing. A strong GMAT score alone is far from sufficient to be successful at the schools you are targeting. I agree with Kimberly that a fresh look at each element of your application would be important to identify opportunities to better present your leadership and other accomplishments, to clearly articulate your career goals, and coherently explain why you need an MBA from that specific school. You probably know this already, but "generic" answers won't suffice with the schools at this level.

That said, there are a number of interesting aspects to your profile. Please PM or call me if you'd like to schedule a free consultation to explore these issues in more depth.

All the best for success in your MBA campaign and your future career!

Cheers, Chris
chris@mbaprepschool.com
+1 (650) 587-5804
GMAT Club Bot