Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
did they have CRT or LCD monitors at the dt nyc center?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on your 99 percentile! Very well done.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:
did they have CRT or LCD monitors at the dt nyc center?

I feel quite silly. I don't really remember. But I'm going to venture a guess and say CRT. Though I can't say so for sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
They have LCD displays at the 100 william st. location in NYC. They are a little small but you can move them closer very easily. My only complaint about the testing center was that people kept coming in and out of the room. I guess they have people taking practice kaplan CATs...which we all know are a waste of time anyway...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
gonzoswim wrote:
They have LCD displays at the 100 william st. location in NYC. They are a little small but you can move them closer very easily. My only complaint about the testing center was that people kept coming in and out of the room. I guess they have people taking practice kaplan CATs...which we all know are a waste of time anyway...

thanks. that will be my test center when i am ready. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
My Debrief:

I started thinking about giving the GMAT in the beginning of September and I decided to squeeze in my applications by December, so that gave me about 2 months to study for the exam. I started by spending quite a few hours online trying to search for methodology and material and past experience to help structure my prep. Thats when I came across the gmatclub.

Materials I used:

Software:

Powerprep
    GmatPrep

Preparation:

I started by leafing through the Official Guide. I gave the diagnostic exam and found that I was doing fairly well. The sections giving me trouble were SC, CR and Data Sufficiency.

My degree was in Electrical Engineering, so I was fairly confident with Math, so I proceeded to solve every single problem in the Official Guide for both Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency. For Verbal, I started out with Kaplan800 and my SC and CR were very average. Thats when I realized I needed to buy the Manhattan SC book. I read through this book several times, solved all the OG questions, made notes and tried to make sure I understood all my mistakes.

I had no real strategy as such. Just solve as many problems and practice as much verbal as I could. After finishing all the questions in the OG, (Except for RC) I gave GMATPrep #1 and scored a 730 (V48 Q42). This was a good score, but I was aiming for the 99 percentile and knew that I needed to push beyond 750. Additionally on analyzing my mistakes, 9 out the 10 incorrect in verbal were SC and most of the quant mistakes were in DS.

So I signed up for the Challenges, proceeded to re-read the Manhattan book, worked through the OG Verbal and Quant guides. As I went through October I started giving more CATs both the PowerPrep and ManhattanGMAT Series.

Finally by the 3rd week of October, about 7-8 weeks after I started my preparation, I was done with all my materials. I had given 4 ManhattanGMAT Quants and solved about 10 challenges. I was saving the GMATPrep #2 for a few days before the actual exam in the hope that a good score would boost my confidence.

I started preparing for the AWAs just three days before the actual exam. I read the sample essays in the OG and went through the methodology outlined by 800score.com and their sample essays. I never actually wrote an entire essay, just made a few outlines.

CATs Given:

GMATPrep # 1 : 760 Q48 V42
ManhattanGMAT 1 : 680 Q42 V38
ManhattanGMAT 2 : 690 Q44 V38
MahhattanGMAT 3 : 710 Q46 V38
PowerPrep 1 : 760 Q50 V46
PowerPrep 2 : 760 Q51 V46
GMATPrep # 2 : 760 Q48 V46

The Actual Exam:

It was quite cold on the 3rd of November. I took a taxi down to the center. Signed in at the lobby and took the elevator up. As I entered the PearsonVue center I was quite surprised at the number of people there. There were about 30 people. After having my picture taken, I was led into the room, seated at a computer and I started the exam.

The first essay was Analysis of an Argument, and I was surprised that off the 4 essays I had seen at 800score, this was one of them. I thought I wrote it fairly well, and the Analysis of an Issue went off allright too. Nothing extraordinary, but I was satisfied.

Then the Quant section started. Most of the questions were easy enough, but there were 1 or 2 in the middle that got fairly difficult. Additionally, there were a few DS that I thought I had the right answer, but I wasn't 100% sure. As I reached the end, I realized I had 5 questions left and 5 mins to go. I panicked, guessed the 5th last one and proceeded to solve the last 4 in a record time of 3 mins. As I reached the last one, I realized I had over 2 mins and cursed myself for not solving through the 5th last one. Ah well.. finished the Quant section and disappointed I took my break.

I went to the restroom, looked at myself and swore that I needed to crack the Verbal section. Focussed and determined I sat through the verbal section, which actually went pretty well. Answered everything and I was fairly satisfied when I was through. I thought I had compensated for my possibly poor Quant with a good Verbal.

The seconds it took for the score to pop up were so long. I was nervous and when the score actually popped up I was surprised, happy and slightly disappointed all at once.

I had a 760 with a 50 in Quant and a 42 in Verbal.

I was happy with my 760 and surprised with my 50 in Quant. This was my best Quant score and especially how it went I was surprised with it, and equally disappointed with my Verbal. I had spent quite a few weeks working on verbal. I was pretty sure I could get a 44 or a 46. But at the end of the day I was satisfied with my 760. It's a good solid score and my 7-8 weeks of preparation paid off.

My official scores were emailed to me just 5 days after the exam and I got a 5.5 in my essays.

I'd like to thank all the other posts to help me structure my prep. Given that I only had 2 months, it was an invaluable resource.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
great score!! [#permalink]
Congrats Great Score!!!!!

Question for ya: Whats the difference between powerprep and gmatprep. I registered for the exam and got a CD, thats the gmatprep correct???

Where can i get the powerprep.

Congrats again and you are our inspiration
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't recommend the powerprep very strongly, because it's now been replaced by the GMATPrep. The powerprep CAT also has a lot of overlap with questions from the OG. I found almost all of the verbal questions in both powerpreps to be from the OG. However, its good to just sit down and practice and time yourself, to build stamina.

I had just googled PowerPrep up and found a site where I downloaded both CATs from.

Best of Luck with your prep.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts