Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [23]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Self-Prep 760 (Q50, V42, IR8, AWA5.5) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow! Fantastic score and great performance on the CAT as well. I have no idea what the 10+2 is but you seem to have a solid base. Would you say that CAT has helped you prepare for the GMAT or do you feel the overlap is minimal? (we have recently started the CAT forum and I am still learning about the overlap)

You applying in R1 this year? Have you left enough time for applications?

P.S. Great job on the AWA. Did you use the Chineseburnt template?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Self-Prep 760 (Q50, V42, IR8, AWA5.5) [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks a lot! bb

So, IIMs take into account three academic scores while assessing applicants for their flagship 2-year PGP course.

1) SSC Board Examination Scores - Administered to students in their 10th Grade (High School Sophomore Year equivalent for the US)
2) HSC Board Examination Scores - Administered to students in their 12th (10+2) Grade (High School Senior Year equivalent for the US)
3) Undergrad GPAs
4) Grad GPAs (if applicable)

Coming to the CAT exam, and the overlap with the GMAT - On paper, there is some overlap. CAT's verbal section is comprised of RC passages and paragraph jumbles (you get a set of sentences and you need to arrange them in a logical order). CAT's Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation section is like a longer version of GMAT's IR section. Lastly, CAT has a quant section, which is quite a lot more difficult than GMAT's quant section.

The profiles of the candidates sitting for the CAT are also going to be quite different - Applicants are usually fresh out of grad or undergrad, and often have quite a smooth transition from academics to CAT prep. The age profile of GMAT applicants is more diverse.

Coming to your question; the CAT did help me quite a bit - The Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation section was my weakest when I started prepping for CAT, and this was the section I put the most effort into. The problem solving I did in this section, I felt, helped me catch onto CR questions a lot faster. Also, after CAT quant, I didn't need to prep a lot for GMAT quant questions. I only had to get a hang of the DS questions - which were probably the reason why I didn't score a Q51. I also could manage my timing better on the GMAT because of my experience with CAT

Do let me know if there are any aspects of the CAT that I could help you with :)

Quote:
You applying in R1 this year? Have you left enough time for applications?

No, I'll be applying next year. I have a few great projects lined up and plan to apply after they mature.

Quote:
Great job on the AWA. Did you use the Chineseburnt template?

Haha! Who doesn't? Although I believe I lost the 0.5 due to my tendency to stretch out sentences. The Chineseburnt template is the way to go!

Cheers! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
wizmaverick

Congratulations on your score and all the best for your application.

Could you please state your scores (with Q/V breakup) on the expert global tests?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
How did you effectively use gmatniinja video series? I tried to watched with due diligence but when I try practice problems I find it difficult to remember anything as the timer ticks.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
congratulations on the amazing score!!
All the best for your next phase

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
anbknaga

Firstly, GMATNinja's video series is not a substitute for theory. I was able to make the most of his videos after studying the Manhattan SC Guide. Use the videos to brush up on important concepts, which Charles Bibilos, before putting forth the questions, introduces to the viewer. For me, the videos helped me intuitively understand what was explained in the Manhattan SC Guide, and apply those concepts.

So, my answer to your question as to how I effectively used gmatninja's video series is this - I read up on my theory first, and then watched those videos and solved along with him. Ofcourse this was only because I happened to stumble upon those videos after reading my theory, but I believe this approach will help you as well.

Best of luck for your prep!

Cheers :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
All the best with your applications..!! :thumbup:

I have seen a few GMATNinja series video but never figured how to use successfully.
Thanks for mentioning.

bb 10+2 = equates to high school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Dear,
Congratulations.
1. How you controlled timing issue? Please explain section wise.
2. What was your feeling while questions correctly? Meaning, were you knowing from the flow of questions that you are scoring well.
3. How many times you used to check and recheck your answer before final selection?
4. What was the best study material or book used by you?

Regards and best of luck for your next works,
Basim

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Basim2016

Quote:
1. How you controlled timing issue? Please explain section wise.

I didn't have too big an issue with timing. You can read this blogpost for an exam ritual which, if you build it, will help you manage your time and improve your accuracy.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... rt-1-of-3/

Quote:
2. What was your feeling while questions correctly? Meaning, were you knowing from the flow of questions that you are scoring well.

I wasn't really able to figure out the difficulty of the questions TBH, and frankly, worrying about this is rarely productive. Focus on the question in front of you, and focus on doing it right. Don't try to judge whether you correctly answered the previous question; you would end up wasting precious time.

Quote:
3. How many times you used to check and recheck your answer before final selection?

Using the PoE (Process of Elimination), in Verbal, I was able to reduce the five choices to the final two or three. If you examine them and identify the correct option with a coherent strategy backed by sound concepts, you shouldn't need to worry about rechecking answers.

Quote:
4. What was the best study material or book used by you?

I'm not really the best person to ask this question to, frankly. I only referred to the Powerscore CR Bible (First 30 pages) and the Manhattan SC Guide. I filled gaps by reading blog posts and watching videos (GMATNinja's series included)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Dear,

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Best of luck for your future endeavors,
Regards.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63662 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Holy crap, congratulations on the amazing score, wizmaverick! And thank you for the shout-out. Glad that we could be a small part of your process, but whoa... a 760? That takes some serious hard work and talent, and that's a high enough score that you would be taken seriously if you wanted to work at any of the big GMAT test-prep companies. Awesome.

Congratulations again, and please let us know where you end up for b-school! You sound like a really good dude, and we're rooting for you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
HI wizmaverick did you followed any particular strategy for RC, for reducing time consumption.

Whats ur tyming in RC for short and long passages
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts