It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 14:17
Hello, thank you so much

Black/Hispanic mix

GMAT: 780
College GPA (biology): 3.1
Master's in biology GPA: 3.4

5 research (medical, biology) publications

STORY: I had cancer in college, which motivated me to go into biology and do research. Volunteered a lot in research labs, and got name on 5 publications. Did master's in biology. Work as research assistant (which is sort of like a lab technician on paper).

HOWEVER: I realized that I was not contributing to society as much by doing this sort of research. I feel that I can accomplish more by getting an MBA and going into Pharma industry or public policy/advocacy. Am very motivated to help develop new treatment. Being so close to death, and with the probability of recurrence, I realized that my time in the world is very limited, and want to maximize my impact.

I have less than 1 year FT work experience. FT this year, and I'll have close to 2 years.

Do I have a shot for M7? Thank you!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: 780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 11:49
kingturtle wrote:
Hello, thank you so much
Hi kingturtle, thanks for your question!
Black/Hispanic mix

GMAT: 780Good for you!
College GPA (biology): 3.1Not as strong as GMAT but may be ok given circumstances and that biology is a tough major
Master's in biology GPA: 3.4better

5 research (medical, biology) publications

STORY: I had cancer in college, which motivated me to go into biology and do research. Volunteered a lot in research labs, and got name on 5 publications. Did master's in biology. Work as research assistant (which is sort of like a lab technician on paper). So sorry you had to deal with cancer in college. I am sure you are a more mature and stronger person for it. Glad you helped others.

HOWEVER: I realized that I was not contributing to society as much by doing this sort of research. I feel that I can accomplish more by getting an MBA and going into Pharma industry or public policy/advocacy. Am very motivated to help develop new treatment. Being so close to death, and with the probability of recurrence, I realized that my time in the world is very limited, and want to maximize my impact. very mature and I think the go big attitude will serve you well.

I have less than 1 year FT work experience. FT this year, and I'll have close to 2 years.

I think possibly with the right application- yes. You have been through some unique experiences given your age and I think you could make the case that you realize time is limited - it is for all of us- but that the cancer scare has you thinking you want to get MBA now since you want to go into Pharma role. If not M7 I think you could be compelling in this upcoming season. Would love to do a free consult to learn more and see how Stratus can help. Link for that is here:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Best of luck to you- in MBA admissions, with your health and for a life of impact!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 01:12
StratusMBACounselor wrote:

I think possibly with the right application- yes. You have been through some unique experiences given your age and I think you could make the case that you realize time is limited - it is for all of us- but that the cancer scare has you thinking you want to get MBA now since you want to go into Pharma role. If not M7 I think you could be compelling in this upcoming season. Would love to do a free consult to learn more and see how Stratus can help. Link for that is here:
Best of luck to you- in MBA admissions, with your health and for a life of impact!
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your advice! I am thinking of applying to Columbia ED. I have read about columbia Healthcare management program, and it looks really good. I've read up on the director of the program Bunny Ellerin, and she seems really interested in promoting Columbia MBA students into pharma and healthcare. I am really interested in working in a pharmaceutical company.

If you don't mind me asking, would I have a good shot at columbia ED? Thanks again!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 05:08
kingturtle wrote:
StratusMBACounselor wrote:

Thanks a lot for your advice! I am thinking of applying to Columbia ED. I have read about columbia Healthcare management program, and it looks really good. I've read up on the director of the program Bunny Ellerin, and she seems really interested in promoting Columbia MBA students into pharma and healthcare. I am really interested in working in a pharmaceutical company.

If you don't mind me asking, would I have a good shot at columbia ED? Thanks again![/quote]Well ED is the best way to go for Columbia. You have a strong interest in Columbia- from what is here- so I would absolutely suggest that you look at it. We do have some counselors at Stratus with some great insight about Columbia and also healthcare and we would be glad to do a free consult with you for you to get a sense of how we could help you put together the strongest application you can. Link for that : https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Re: 780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise.   [#permalink] 22 May 2017, 05:08

780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise.

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap