It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 14:42
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (01:43) correct 34% (01:51) wrong based on 289 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, additional health-care costs beyond the ordinary are borne by society at large for people who live a sedentary life. The figure reached was a lifetime average of $1,650. Thus people's voluntary choice not to exercise places a significant burden on society.
Which one of the following, if true and not taken into account by the calculation, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Many people whose employment requires physical exertion do not choose to engage in regular physical exercise when they are not at work.
(B) Exercise is a topic that is often omitted from discussion between doctor and patient during a patient's visit.
(C) Physical conditions that eventually require medical or nursing-home care often first predispose a person to adopt a sedentary lifestyle.
(D) Individuals vary widely in the amount and kind of exercise they choose, when they do exercise regularly.
(E) A regular program of moderate exercise tends to increase circulation, induce a feeling of well-being and energy, and decrease excess weight.

Please post your choice explanations for each of the options. OA Later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 14:45
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, additional health-care costs beyond the ordinary are borne by society at large for people who live a sedentary life. The figure reached was a lifetime average of $1,650. Thus people's voluntary choice not to exercise places a significant burden on society.
Which one of the following, if true and not taken into account by the calculation, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Many people whose employment requires physical exertion do not choose to engage in regular physical exercise when they are not at work.
(B) Exercise is a topic that is often omitted from discussion between doctor and patient during a patient's visit.
(C) Physical conditions that eventually require medical or nursing-home care often first predispose a person to adopt a sedentary lifestyle.
(D) Individuals vary widely in the amount and kind of exercise they choose, when they do exercise regularly.
(E) A regular program of moderate exercise tends to increase circulation, induce a feeling of well-being and energy, and decrease excess weight.

Please come with explanations. OA later.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.


Last edited by joshnsit on 27 Dec 2013, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Nasty 1: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 14:48
i prefer C, due to C indicates the another explaination

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: Nasty 1: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 14:58
naoyixue wrote:
i prefer C, due to C indicates the another explaination
Why not A?It suggests that people go for sedentary life voluntarily but stil increases this $1650 figure.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Re: Nasty 1: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 15:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
in the material, author just concluded that people's voluntary choice not to exercise places a significant burden on society. meaing that the burden depends on the choice from people. It's selective. While, via C, we get to know, it does not depend on people's choice. the decision not to do exercise depends on the physical condition ( such as require medical or nursing-home care ). So we get to know not the people's choice casue more cost on the society, but the phsycial condition.

For A, it just said people do not want to exercise when they are not at work. Obviously, we see that's choice from peole, so A prove the conclusion, it strengthens not weakens

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1623

Kudos [?]: 1157 [1], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Nasty 1: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 15:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

This choice indicates that probably the cause of the high costs is not the sedentary life but the physical conditions that require medical care.
A cannot be the answer because it refers to people who don't have a sedentary life.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1157 [1], given: 109

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: Nasty 1: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:14
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

This choice indicates that probably the cause of the high costs is not the sedentary life but the physical conditions that require medical care.
A cannot be the answer because it refers to people who don't have a sedentary life.
Gosh,Now I got why it couldn't be A.
OA is C...
+1 for you as well. :-D
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1346

Kudos [?]: 2085 [3], given: 6

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:31
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's C; it's just a reversal of cause and effect. The argument says "people who choose not to exercise develop medical problems which cost society money." C says that the medical problems might instead cause people not to exercise. Those medical problems are then the source of the expense to society, and not people's unwillingness to exercise, as the argument claims.

None of the other answers even seem particularly relevant, so I think you could also arrive at the answer here by elimination.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2085 [3], given: 6

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 97

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:51
C answer is C for sure

A is close but these people already get regular exercise .. andyou cannot really isolate a group groups are not mentioned here

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 97

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:52
if A causes B then to weaken prove B causes A

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 188

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 1

Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:02
whats wrong with a
i thought option a can impose a statistical error as the people who have lot of physical activity are more prone to hospitalization
but they are excluded from the people whoare involved in the physical exercise

looks like i have made lot of assumptions so i missed that one
but i think weakening question can bring new information into the argument

can i bring my assumptions along with information or they should be defined in the argument
_________________

just one more month for exam...

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2012, 13:51
mohan514 wrote:
whats wrong with a
i thought option a can impose a statistical error as the people who have lot of physical activity are more prone to hospitalization
but they are excluded from the people whoare involved in the physical exercise

looks like i have made lot of assumptions so i missed that one
but i think weakening question can bring new information into the argument
can i bring my assumptions along with information or they should be defined in the argument
You can bring in a new info in a weaken question for sure.

As far as "why A is wrong?" is concerned, The argument is targeting the people "WHO live a sedentary life" in the first line of the argument. This makes "people living actively at work" as in A to fall out of the set of people argument is referring to.

Also, the question stem refers unusually to "not taken into account by calculation" to raise the bells for making A out of league of probable answers.
HTH
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 386

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 13

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2012, 00:20
Step 1:
Narrowed it down to A and C because of the following:
B: Doctors talks is not going to impact the calculation.
D: The "amount and kind of exercise" dont impact the calculation.
E: The characteristics about circulation and benefits dont impact the calculation.

Step 2:
A: A doesn't actually talk about people in Sedentary life. There is a difference. NOT EXCERSICING DOES NOT EQUAL SEDANTARY. Secondly, what if the many people we are talking about is only a say for e.g. ~1% of the entire population. Then this argument is invalid.
C: If he is forced to lead a sedantary life the calculation is ALL wrong in the first place.

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2012, 01:55
Paraphrase the Q: Voluntary choice not to exercise.

A, B, D & E don't weaken the argument

Therefore C is the answer.

What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 192

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2012, 23:35
C makes sense.
B, D and E can be ignored right away.
A and C made go back to passage again.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 442

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 58

Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 07:03
naoyixue wrote:
in the material, author just concluded that people's voluntary choice not to exercise places a significant burden on society. meaing that the burden depends on the choice from people. It's selective. While, via C, we get to know, it does not depend on people's choice. the decision not to do exercise depends on the physical condition ( such as require medical or nursing-home care ). So we get to know not the people's choice casue more cost on the society, but the phsycial condition.

For A, it just said people do not want to exercise when they are not at work. Obviously, we see that's choice from peole, so A prove the conclusion, it strengthens not weakens

I get why you say C is a good answer, but if we look at A, we basically say that even people who don't exercise on their free time, a lot of them do this exercise or physical work during their work hours. So A seems like a good fit.

C doesn't dispute that not exercising burdans the community, it just supplies a reason as to why that happens....

Any thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 58

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10270

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 15:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10270

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 01:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 80

Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 09:55
Hi,
The argument talks about "people's voluntary choice not to exercise" .In C, it sounds like people adopt a sedentary life style as a result of a medical condition not voluntarily.

So how can this be the oa?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 80

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 68

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 22:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
deucebigalow wrote:
Hi,
The argument talks about "people's voluntary choice not to exercise" .In C, it sounds like people adopt a sedentary life style as a result of a medical condition not voluntarily.

So how can this be the oa?

Conclusion is - Not to exercise is a voluntary choice
C says - No, it is due to some other reason.

That's how it's weakening the conclusion.

Hope it make sense.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

Re: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any,   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 22:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.