Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Distance/Rate Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [257]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [65]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [47]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A, B, K start from the same place and travel in the same direction at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B and K overtake in the same instant. So B overtake in (2*30)/(40-30) = 6 hours. That means B met after A went 8 hours.
So K starts after 30*8/60 = 4 hours
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Send PM
A, B, K start from the same place and travel in the same direction at [#permalink]
Could you please care to explain the equations?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618997 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: A, B, K start from the same place and travel in the same direction at [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Blackbox wrote:
Mods - I don't know if I am allowed to provide a link to a youtube video explaining a distance/speed concept. If I am not, please let me know and I will delete my post.

I found a neat explanation of a concept that can be used to solve the type of question I posted earlier. For those interested, here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqu1xKudqJQ

So, to solve this question, set up a table like this

Attachment:
table.jpg

You are most welcome to post any relevant links.

P.S. Image in your post does not show up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Send PM
There was a typo in the screen grab earlier, so I took it down and posted a new one. Does the new one still doesn't show?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618997 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Blackbox wrote:
There was a typo in the screen grab earlier, so I took it down and posted a new one. Does the new one still doesn't show?

It's fine now. Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [12]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A, B, K start from the same place and travel in the same direction at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Refer diagram below:

Attachment:
speed.png
speed.png [ 4.57 KiB | Viewed 37841 times ]

Speed of A = 30 km/hr

Speed of B = 40 km/hr

Stage I

B starts 2 hours after A, means that A has already travelled 60 Kms when B kicked off

Stage II

Say A further travels distance "x" where all 3 meet

Time taken by A to travel distance "x" = Time taken by B to travel distance "60+x"

\(\frac{x}{30} = \frac{60+x}{40}\)

4x = 3x + 180

x = 180

Total catch point distance = 60+180 = 240

Time required by A from start \(= \frac{240}{30} = 8 Hrs\)

Time required by K from start \(= \frac{240}{60} = 4 Hrs\)

Time difference between A & K = 8-4 = 4Hrs

Answer = C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
:( I chose A because after getting 6h ( to over take A), I forgot to add the extra 2h, stupid mistake :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
After 2 hours A travels (t+2)30 km. When B catches up their distances are equal. Hence (t+2)30=40t ==> t=6. Now K is traveling 60 km and B is at 40 km. K needs (60/40) time less to catch up A. Hence K needs (6/(3/2))=4 hours. Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 224
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi all,

I need some help in understanding this problem. As you can see my answer comes close to 4 and in exam I would correctly "guess" ANSWER C and move on. But I am not understanding the rationale behind solution properly. Following is how I see it and I am stuck in this method of solving it. Can someone please help me?

TO
Attachments

Problem.jpg
Problem.jpg [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 37119 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thorinoakenshield wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help in understanding this problem. As you can see my answer comes close to 4 and in exam I would correctly "guess" ANSWER C and move on. But I am not understanding the rationale behind solution properly. Following is how I see it and I am stuck in this method of solving it. Can someone please help me?

TO

The table you made doesn't make sense to me. All three meet at the same point means the distance they cover is the same.
We know their rates are 30, 40 and 60.
Say the time taken by B is T hrs. Then A takes 2+T hrs. And we need to find the time taken by K.

Distance covered by A = Distance covered by B
30*(2+T) = 40*T
T = 6 hrs

Distance covered by B = Distance covered by K
40*T = 60*Time taken by K
Time taken by K = 40*6/60 = 4 hrs

Time taken by A = 2+T = 2+6 = 8 hrs
Time taken by K = 4 hrs
So K starts 8-4 = 4 hrs after A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
Kudos