Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [3]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: A box contains red balls, white balls, and yellow balls. If a ball is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pacifist85 wrote:
Hi Mike,
Indeed the "1minus the opposite" was mainly the trick I was referring to.

But also, I think that you can get confused because the problem does not actually give you the number of the balls - so we don't know how many they are. So, initially, one might think that, oh, none of the 2 data gives me the number of balls, so I cannot possibly answer this question. Then, being in a hurry anyway, you may disregard the second data point and move on.

Also, the first data point gives you 1/2, which is 50% and the second one refers to the second of the 3 colours. This may incorrectly lead you to assume that you know how many half of the balls are. The rest is the other 50%. However, we have three colours here and the data points only refer to 2. Your poor, tired eye, having seen the 50% and reading clues about 2 of the three colours, might forget that the question stem actually mentioned 3 colours.

Or is it only me... :P

Dear pacifist85,
The magic of the complement rule and the other probability rules is they absolutely do not depend on knowing the number of items involved. In its essence, probability is a ratio, so ratio information (which includes percents) suffices for calculating probabilities. If we happen to know exact counts, we also can find ratios from those, but understand that sort of information is secondary.

I think the way you are describing it is idiosyncratic to you. They are asking about yellow, and statement 2 tells me about yellow. Done.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Re: A box contains red balls, white balls, and yellow balls. If a ball is [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
pacifist85 wrote:
Hi Mike,
Indeed the "1minus the opposite" was mainly the trick I was referring to.

But also, I think that you can get confused because the problem does not actually give you the number of the balls - so we don't know how many they are. So, initially, one might think that, oh, none of the 2 data gives me the number of balls, so I cannot possibly answer this question. Then, being in a hurry anyway, you may disregard the second data point and move on.

Also, the first data point gives you 1/2, which is 50% and the second one refers to the second of the 3 colours. This may incorrectly lead you to assume that you know how many half of the balls are. The rest is the other 50%. However, we have three colours here and the data points only refer to 2. Your poor, tired eye, having seen the 50% and reading clues about 2 of the three colours, might forget that the question stem actually mentioned 3 colours.

Or is it only me... :P

Dear pacifist85,
The magic of the complement rule and the other probability rules is they absolutely do not depend on knowing the number of items involved. In its essence, probability is a ratio, so ratio information (which includes percents) suffices for calculating probabilities. If we happen to know exact counts, we also can find ratios from those, but understand that sort of information is secondary.

I think the way you are describing it is idiosyncratic to you. They are asking about yellow, and statement 2 tells me about yellow. Done.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you. Yes it does make sense.
DS questions are my weak point, exactly because I mix the 2 data, or just start actually solving them.

I guess this is why I posted it. Not because the problem is difficult itself, but because the question is confusing me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92888 posts