GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan (LGO)
GMAT ToolKit User
A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 13:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:00) correct 44% (01:06) wrong based on 39 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in color, and large, middle, or small in model. How many white large cars does he have?

(1) All the red and blue cars are either middle or small, and make a total of 19.

(2) The number of large cars is more than the number of the middle and small cars combined.

Correct answer appears to be C but I can't see how.

If all red and blue cars are either middle or small and make a total of 19, that means that all large cars are white, but there could be middle or small white cars also as far as I understand.

If the number of large cars is more than the number of the middle and small cars combined, it means than large cars could be either 20 (L + M/S) or 21 (L).

So far, I'd say E.

Any insight?
Director
Director
Re: A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 16:07
1. Not sufficient

R B W

M S M S M S L

......19....... 21

2. Not sufficient

L > M+S , but we dont know anything about white ...

together

Sufficient
if RB(SM) = 19 WL = 20 , there is going to be more white M or S but this will not satisfy condition L > M+S
so WL = 21

Answer is C.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member
Re: A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 00:00
LGOdream wrote:
A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in color, and large, middle, or small in model. How many white large cars does he have?

(1) All the red and blue cars are either middle or small, and make a total of 19.

(2) The number of large cars is more than the number of the middle and small cars combined.

Correct answer appears to be C but I can't see how.

If all red and blue cars are either middle or small and make a total of 19, that means that all large cars are white, but there could be middle or small white cars also as far as I understand.

If the number of large cars is more than the number of the middle and small cars combined, it means than large cars could be either 20 (L + M/S) or 21 (L).

So far, I'd say E.

Any insight?

So there can be total nine kinds of cars - White large, White middle, White small, Red large,... and so on. Lets name these nine kinds of cars as WL, WM, WS, RL, RM, RS, BL, BM, BS respectively. We need to find the value of WL.

(1) RL=BL=0, and sum RM + RS + BL + BS = 19. This means WL + WM + WS = 40-19 = 21. So white cars in total are 21, but out of which we cant say how many will be large. So Insufficient.

(2) Large cars > middle and small combined. But this tells us nothing about White or White large cars. Insufficient.

Combining the two statements, WL + WM + WS = 21. Now only large cars are white cars. Middle and small cars of red/blue colors are 19. Even if we have one more middle or small car, i.e., if WM + WS = 1, then total middle/small cars combined would be 20. And in that case WL = 20 too. Here number of large cars will become equal to number of middle/small cars, and would thus violate statement 2 (large cars have to be more than middle/small combined). So the only way for statement 2 to hold true is if WM + WS = 0, thus WL = 21. White large cars are 21 in number. Sufficient.

Hence C answer
Re: A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2018, 00:00

A car dealer has 40 cars, each of which is white, red, or blue in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap