GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2012, 13:34
(A) The argument makes a claim about the collective behavior of the team. This collective claim does not preclude certain individuals from hitting fewer home runs in larger stadiums.
(B) The claim made in the argument is based on the size of the crowd in each stadium. For whom the fans cheered is irrelevant to the argument.
(C) Similar to answer choice A, this choice cites one specific example of contradictory information, while the argument is based on the average behavior
of the team throughout the entire season. The does not strongly undermine that, on average, the team was motivated by larger crowds.
(D) CORRECT. This choice explains that the larger stadiums actually have different dimensions from the smaller stadiums. In order to accommodate a larger number of fans, the outfield walls are closer to the batters. Thus, it is very possible that the greater number of home runs is due to the fact that the ball does not have to travel as far in larger stadiums.
(E) The announcer’s opinion is not relevant to the argument, and, even if it were, this choice would strengthen the argument.
Manager
Manager
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 10:26
Quote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

(A) The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
(B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
(C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
(D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.
(E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

home run (noun) = a point scored in baseball by hitting the ball so far that you have time to run all the way around the four corners of the playing field before it is returned

the outfield (noun) = the part of a cricket or baseball field that is the longest distance distance away from the batter (=person trying to hit the ball) or the group of players there

On average, the team hit more home runs playing in front of larger crowds than in front of smaller crowds. The argument attributes this statistic to the motivation that comes from playing in front of larger crowds. In order to undermine this conclusion, look for another reason to explain why more home runs were hit in front of larger crowds.

(A) The argument makes a claim about the collective behavior of the team. This collective claim does NOT preclude certain individuals from hitting fewer home runs in larger stadiums.

(B) The claim made in the argument is based on the size of the crowd in each stadium. For whom the fans cheered is IRRELEVANT to the argument.

(C) Similar to answer choice A, this choice cites one specific example of contradictory information, while the argument is based on the average behavior of the team throughout the entire season. The does NOT strongly undermine that, on average, the team was motivated by larger crowds.

(D) CORRECT. This choice explains that the larger stadiums actually have different dimensions from the smaller stadiums. In order to accommodate a larger number of fans, the outfield walls are closer to the batters. Thus, it is very possible that the greater number of home runs is due to the fact that the ball does not have to travel as far in larger stadiums.

(E) The announcer’s opinion is NOT relevant to the argument, and, even if it were, this choice would STRENGTHEN the argument.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 21:34
This is causal argument and as expected,the argument would more likely be a flawed and create strong prethinking.

One way of weakening a causal argument is find a another cause for the effect. D does exactly same - Short ground helps player to hit more run.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In st  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Feb 2014, 16:33
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

(A) The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
(B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
(C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
(D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.
(E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

http://gmatclub.com/forum/percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Originally posted by HarveyS on 09 Feb 2014, 15:36.
Last edited by HarveyS on 10 Feb 2014, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In st  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 13:32
is it D ? Since the outfield walls were closed, the batters were able to hit more home runs ?

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 22:42
Mountain14 wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

I chose A wrongly and I missed D, good question!

Background:A certain baseball team has just completed its season.

Premise:In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game.

Conclusion:Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

A.The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. My mistake. I assume that the number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium. This maybe true but irrelevant to the stem.

B.The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.Strengthen.

C.The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.irrelevant

D.In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. Hit the point, imagining the scene will give a help to understand.

E.The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. Strengthen.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 00:12
Can someone explain How is C incorrect?
According to conclusion team performs better with more crowd, but when playing on largest stadium rather than hitting maximum home runs, team performed below average.
thus undermines the conclusion.
Please correct my reasoning.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 23:26
aditya232 wrote:
Can someone explain How is C incorrect?
According to conclusion team performs better with more crowd, but when playing on largest stadium rather than hitting maximum home runs, team performed below average.
thus undermines the conclusion.
Please correct my reasoning.

Aditya,

I do understand where your confusion comes from. You can think of it as this way: (notice the bolded letters)

Category 1: stadiums with seats <20,000 --> 1 home run/game
Category 2: 20,000 < stadiums with seats <40,000 --> 2 home runs/game
Category 3: stadiums with seats > 20,000 --> 3 home runs/game

Answer Choice C: The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.

It may be the case that although the team averaged only 2 home runs in its LARGEST stadium, the other stadiums in Category 3 averaged 3 home runs/game. Therefore, the largest stadium would be just an anomaly and doesn't necessarily weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 01:37
Conclusion: excitement of playing --> motivated the team to hit more home runs
Weaken the arguments: Excitement of playing in front of large crowd might not be the reason that motivated the team to hit more home runs
D. Provide possible reason : the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base --> hit more home runs

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 14:35
Do I correctly understand that this is a question from a baseball fan?
This question presupposes that one has to know some specific details about baseball.
For example I didn't know that different baseball stadiums (in one particular league) may have different field sizes. So for me D sounds like spectators were sitting a bit closer to the field on the bigger stadiums. Not that fields on those stadiums were smaller than those of smaller stadiums.
What is the probability that such biased questions will appear on the real GMAT?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 04:24
D gives another reason to believe that the it was not the excitement to play in front of a larger crowd that led to the team hit more home runs rather the stadium was made smaller to accommodate more fans. Bingo
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 05:37
to find answer and understand this question is really difficult to me because as an international student , I havent got any information about baseball and idea about home runs))
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 12:25
I don't get this question. clearly, I am not a baseball fan, and I have no idea what the argument talks about.
the argument says that team was more motivated when more people were present.
why B isn't right? if the majority of people were cheering against other team - are you freakin' motivated? how? I'm a football (soccer) fan, and I see how bad a team performs when they are not supported accordingly.

very confusing question.
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
CR Revision: A certain baseball team has just completed its season  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 11:37

A. The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.

B. The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.

C. The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.

D. In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.

E. The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Revision: A certain baseball team has just completed its season  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 22:57
Conclusion: Larger the crowd, more is the motivation to hit more home runs

A. The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. - Incorrect - Does not weaken

B. The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team. - Incorrect - Strengthens the conclusion

C. The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium. - Incorrect - Does not weaken

D. In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base. - Correct - Increase in seating resulted in smaller ground area. So it was easier to score more home.

E. The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. - Incorrect

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2016, 06:27
Explanation by piyatiwari is wrong..because question clearly mentions ALL THE STADIUMS WERE FILLED TO THEIR CAPACITY thus saying 40,000 seat stadium wasn't full isnt appropriate.
Experts please help.
Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 13:15
D is the clear weakener statement.It raises a serious question regarding the conclusion of the given argument
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 01:46
samsmalldog wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

I chose A wrongly and I missed D, good question!

Background:A certain baseball team has just completed its season.

Premise:In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game.

Conclusion:Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

A.The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. My mistake. I assume that the number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium. This maybe true but irrelevant to the stem.

B.The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.Strengthen.

C.The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.irrelevant

D.In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. Hit the point, imagining the scene will give a help to understand.

E.The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. Strengthen.

Even though you assumed that number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium (which in my opinion is correct thinking) it isn't the problem. Actually premises state that more the number of seats get more home runs per game team makes. This answer choice contradicts premise , not the conclusion

In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run”

In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game

Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game

In CR we must select an answer choice which weakens the main assumption, not that weakens premise. Here assumption is that "Conditions in all stadiums are same and that increase in crowd size is the only factor that increases "home run" statistics". If you can't think of assumption, concentrate on main conclusion and its link with premises.
Since author assumes that premises are all true, they test ability to see link between premise and conclusion and attack exactly that link.

Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 04:46
vinayakv wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team
averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2
home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per
game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.
Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines
the argument above?

A0 The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base.
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

On average, the team hit more home runs playing in front of larger crowds than in front of smaller crowds. The argument attributes this statistic to the motivation that comes from playing in front of larger crowds. In order to undermine this conclusion, look for another reason to explain why more home runs were hit in front of larger crowds.
(A) The argument makes a claim about the collective behavior of the team. This collective claim does not preclude certain individuals from hitting fewer home runs in larger stadiums.
(B) The claim made in the argument is based on the size of the crowd in each stadium. For whom the fans cheered is irrelevant to the argument.
(C) Similar to answer choice A, this choice cites one specific example of contradictory information, while the argument is based on the average behavior of the team throughout the entire season. The does not strongly undermine that, on average, the team was motivated by larger crowds.
(D) CORRECT. This choice explains that the larger stadiums actually have different dimensions from the smaller stadiums. In order to accommodate a
larger number of fans, the outfield walls are closer to the batters. Thus, it is very possible that the greater number of home runs is due to the fact that the ball does not have to travel as far in larger stadiums.
(E) The announcer’s opinion is not relevant to the argument, and, even if it were, this choice would strengthen the argument.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jan 2017, 04:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap