GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 20:58
A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster. In a Swiss-system tournament, every player plays every other player, and no one is eliminated. At Chessmaster, each player who wins a match receives two points; those who draw a match each receive half a point; those who lose a match each lose one point; and every player can choose to sit out one match (and neither receive nor lose points). Player X has 4 points after 6 matches.

From the available options, select a number of wins and a number of combined draws and losses that would result in Player X’s score. The answers must be jointly consistent with the outcome. Make only one choice in each column.

Wins| Draws + Losses| Number
⃝ | ⃝ |0
⃝ | ⃝ |1
⃝ | ⃝ |3
⃝ | ⃝ |4
⃝ | ⃝ |5

This is an IR question from MGMAT test. Could someone help to give some other ways to resolve such kind of question rather than testing possibilities? Thanks :)

The explanation given by Manhattan is as below:
The only way to answer this question is to quickly work out all the possible patterns of 6 rounds that would result in a score of 4 points. Basically, Player X could have won 1, 2, or 3 games (any more than that and the score is too big, while draws alone can’t bring the score up to 4 points in only 6 games). Let’s consider these three possibilities:

1 Win: With only 1 win, the only way to get up to 4 points would be to draw the next 4 games, and sit the last one out. This will turn out to be the situation that the answer choices fit.

2 Wins: Looking at the answer choices, we can see that 2 isn’t an option. However, with 2 wins, the only way to reach 4 points is to draw twice and then lose once (and sit the final round out).

3 Wins: With three wins (adding up to six points), the only way to get down to 4 points is to lose two matches in a row (and sit out the final round). While 3 is an option in the answer choices, we already know that 2 isn’t, so this can’t be the correct situation.

Answer: Wins: 1, Draws + Losses: 4

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Intern
Intern
Re: A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 11:42
Hello,

I don't quite understand this system. The explanations given are clear but not on how to eliminate 3 wins

⃝ | ⃝ |0
⃝ | ⃝ |1
⃝ | ⃝ |3
⃝ | ⃝ |4
⃝ | ⃝ |5
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 11:48
archiemuty wrote:
Hello,

I don't quite understand this system. The explanations given are clear but not on how to eliminate 3 wins

⃝ | ⃝ |0
⃝ | ⃝ |1
⃝ | ⃝ |3
⃝ | ⃝ |4
⃝ | ⃝ |5

Let X be the number of wins, Y be the number of draws and Z be the number of losses.

2x + 0.5Y - Z = 4

Correct Answer: 2(1) + 0.5(4) - 0 = 4 --> X = 1; Y + Z = 4

If you have 3 wins: 2(3) + 0.5(0) - 2 = 4 --> X = 3; Y + Z = 2 --> Can you select this option? No. This is a probable answer choice but the answer choice is missing in the given options.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 18:38
Hi archiemuty &Vyshak

I have one question here. For such kind of problem, do we have another way to resolve other than testing possibilities? I mean, in case of the given data, testing possibilities could be a quick approach, but in case that we were given larger data (e.g got 100 points and participated in 70 matches..), this approach could be quite time-consuming and may incur inaccuracy, right?

Thanks for help :)

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 19:13
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
Hi archiemuty &Vyshak

I have one question here. For such kind of problem, do we have another way to resolve other than testing possibilities? I mean, in case of the given data, testing possibilities could be a quick approach, but in case that we were given larger data (e.g got 100 points and participated in 70 matches..), this approach could be quite time-consuming and may incur inaccuracy, right?

Thanks for help :)

Hi,

There are 3 unknowns. The 3 unknowns can take multiple values. Answer can be found only by substituting the given values.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:19
Hello,
My issue with this problem is that it mentions: "Player X has 4 points after 6 matches", which implies that 6 matches have actually been played, however the only way to get to the correct answer is to assume that the player has skipped one of the games. Isn't it illogical to count a game that hasn't been played? I didn't get to the correct answer because I assumed that we shouldn't count the games that the player chooses to sit out.
Re: A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2017, 09:19

A city is hosting a Swiss-system chess tournament called Chessmaster

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap