Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [7]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Re: A committee of 3 persons is to be formed from 3 company secretaries, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
nishi999 wrote:
A committee of 3 persons is to be formed from 3 company secretaries, 4 economists and 1 chartered accountant. What is the probability that each of the three professions is represented in the committee?

A. 1/28
B. 3/28
C. 1/14
D. 4/28
E. 3/14

Can anyone solve it using probability method. I am only able to crack it by using combinatorial method.

3/8*4/7*1/6*3! = 3/14. We are multiplying by 3! because we can choose secretary, economist, and accountant is several way: SEA, SAE, ESA, EAS, ASE, AES.

Answer: E.

Hi Bunuel,

The chapter on probability in the GMAT MATH BOOK states as follows -

Example #1
Q: There are 8 employees including Bob and Rachel. If 2 employees are to be randomly chosen to form a committee, what is the probability that the committee includes both Bob and Rachel?
Solution:

probability approach: The probability of choosing Bob or Rachel as a first person in committee is 2/8. The probability of choosing Rachel or Bob as a second person when first person is already chosen is 1/7. The probability that the committee includes both Bob and Rachel is.
P = 2/8*1/7 = 1/28

Shouldn't the above answer be multiplied by 2! as well?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: A committee of 3 persons is to be formed from 3 company secretaries, [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
nishi999 wrote:
A committee of 3 persons is to be formed from 3 company secretaries, 4 economists and 1 chartered accountant. What is the probability that each of the three professions is represented in the committee?

A. 1/28
B. 3/28
C. 1/14
D. 4/28
E. 3/14

Can anyone solve it using probability method. I am only able to crack it by using combinatorial method.

3/8*4/7*1/6*3! = 3/14. We are multiplying by 3! because we can choose secretary, economist, and accountant is several way: SEA, SAE, ESA, EAS, ASE, AES.

Hi Bunuel,

As per my rudimentary knowledge of probability, i understand that in the above question we are trying to find the probability by considering - Favourable Outcomes/Total Outcomes. Then in such a case, why do we need to consider how the secretary, economist, and accountant are being chosen i.e. No of ways.
If you could shed some light on that?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nishi999 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nishi999 wrote:

A. 1/28
B. 3/28
C. 1/14
D. 4/28
E. 3/14

Hi Bunuel,

The chapter on probability in the GMAT MATH BOOK states as follows -

Example #1
Q: There are 8 employees including Bob and Rachel. If 2 employees are to be randomly chosen to form a committee, what is the probability that the committee includes both Bob and Rachel?
Solution:

probability approach: The probability of choosing Bob or Rachel as a first person in committee is 2/8. The probability of choosing Rachel or Bob as a second person when first person is already chosen is 1/7. The probability that the committee includes both Bob and Rachel is.
P = 2/8*1/7 = 1/28

Shouldn't the above answer be multiplied by 2! as well?

No, in this solution we already have multiplication by 2. It's 1/8*1/7*2. The difference is that the solution says that "the probability of choosing Bob or Rachel as a first person in committee is 2/8", so this takes care of x2.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel

Hi,

I am still a bit confused.

In the above solution, I assumed that 2/8 is considered, because there are 2 favourable outcomes i.e. Bob or Rachel can be chosen from 8. After that is done, then only 1 favourable outcome remains i.e. choosing 1 out of remaining seven via 1/7. Hence total probability is 2/8*1/7 = 1/28.

But as per what i understand from you, it should be 1/8*1/7*2!. (2! as they can both be arranged in 2 ways)
In such a case, when taking 1/8 we are only considering 1 favourable outcome out of eight outcomes. But then it should be 2/8 for the reasons mentioned above i.e. Both Rachel and bob are favourable and only after 1 of them is chosen, are we left with only 1 favourable option. Could you kindly confirm where am i going wrong?

Secondly, can i take it as a thumb rule, that after calculating probability, i will need to always consider ways of arrangement, if applicable?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nishi999 wrote:
Bunuel

Hi,

I am still a bit confused.

In the above solution, I assumed that 2/8 is considered, because there are 2 favourable outcomes i.e. Bob or Rachel can be chosen from 8. After that is done, then only 1 favourable outcome remains i.e. choosing 1 out of remaining seven via 1/7. Hence total probability is 2/8*1/7 = 1/28.

But as per what i understand from you, it should be 1/8*1/7*2!. (2! as they can both be arranged in 2 ways)
In such a case, when taking 1/8 we are only considering 1 favourable outcome out of eight outcomes. But then it should be 2/8 for the reasons mentioned above i.e. Both Rachel and bob are favourable and only after 1 of them is chosen, are we left with only 1 favourable option. Could you kindly confirm where am i going wrong?

Secondly, can i take it as a thumb rule, that after calculating probability, i will need to always consider ways of arrangement, if applicable?

Let me try again. The logic is 100% the same as with the original question. We want both B and R. There is one B and one R. Choosing B first and then R: 1/8*1/7. Choosing R first and then B: 1/8*1/7. The sum = 2*1/8*1/7. Or the way we did in original question: 1/8*1/7*2!.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts