Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618738 [6]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A company with long-outstanding bills owed by its customers can assign [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A company with long-outstanding bills owed by its customers can assign those bills to a collection agency that pays the company a fraction of their amount and then tries to collect payment from the customers. Since these agencies pay companies only 15 percent of the total amount of the outstanding bills, a company interested in reducing losses from long-outstanding bills would be well advised to pursue its debtors on its own.

The argument depends on the assumption that

(A) a company that pursues its debtors on its own typically collects more than 15 percent of total amount of the long-outstanding bills that it is owed

(B) the cost to a company of pursuing its debtors on its own for payment of long-outstanding bills does not exceed 15 percent of the total amount of those bills

(C) collection agencies that are assigned bills for collection by companies are unsuccessful in collecting, on average, only 15 percent of the total amount of those bills

(D) at least 15 percent of the customers that owe money to companies eventually pay their bills whether or not those bills are assigned to a collection agency

(E) unless most of the customers of a company pay their bills, that company in the long run will not be profitable

Think about it this way - An assumption is the bare minimum that is necessary. If it is not true, then the conclusion breaks.

Now if I get to know that the company can obtain 15% by selling off their dues to an agency but I insist that the company should collect their dues themselves, obviously I expect the company to be able to collect more than 15% at the bare minimum. Hence, I am assuming that it will be able to collect more than 15% for sure. Now, I do expect it to collect more than 15% in profit, so to say i.e. Revenue collected - Cost of collection, but one thing is for sure that for "profit" to be more than 15%, the revenue has to has to be more than 15%.
And hence, option (A) certainly works as an assumption. Mind you, the assumption doesn't need to "prove" that self collection is better.

Answer (A)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A company with long-outstanding bills owed by its customers can assign [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts