Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [6]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [4]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [1]
Send PM
Re: A computer virus is an illegal and potentially damaging computer prog [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
hydr01 wrote:
My bad, I meant Question 1!

The passage provides support for statement A: "Computer owners who use virus protection applications properly are more likely not to suffer damages from computer viruses."

The passage explains that viruses are potentially damaging computer programs that can destroy or corrupt data, and that thousands of virus programs exist. It also describes how viruses can infect computers through various methods, including floppy disks and the internet. The passage recommends installing virus protection software and regularly backing up important data and program files as ways to protect against viruses. It also mentions that anti-virus programs can detect and remove or repair infected programs and files.

Therefore, the passage supports the idea that using virus protection software properly can help prevent damage from computer viruses. However, it does not guarantee complete protection or imply that computer owners who do not use virus protection applications will necessarily suffer damages from computer viruses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: A computer virus is an illegal and potentially damaging computer prog [#permalink]
Akhileshsinghlit wrote:
For Que 3:

Para 2 says: "A boot sector virus infects the boot program used to start the system."

So why are we neglecting option. I) Through boot program

In my opinion answer should be E.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
"Besides detecting viruses, anti-virus programs also have utilities to remove or repair infected programs and files. Some damaged files cannot be repaired and must be replaced with uninfected backup files."

^these last 2 sentences at the end of Paragraph #3 make me think that D is a plausible answer for Question 3. Where am I going wrong here, is A just more explicitly stated in the passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hydr01 wrote:
"Besides detecting viruses, anti-virus programs also have utilities to remove or repair infected programs and files. Some damaged files cannot be repaired and must be replaced with uninfected backup files."

^these last 2 sentences at the end of Paragraph #3 make me think that D is a plausible answer for Question 3. Where am I going wrong here, is A just more explicitly stated in the passage?

OA to question #3 is indeed D.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
hydr01 wrote:

OA to question #3 is indeed D.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
hydr01 wrote:

The passage provides support for statement A: "Computer owners who use virus protection applications properly are more likely not to suffer damages from computer viruses."

The passage explains that viruses are potentially damaging computer programs that can destroy or corrupt data, and that thousands of virus programs exist. It also describes how viruses can infect computers through various methods, including floppy disks and the internet. The passage recommends installing virus protection software and regularly backing up important data and program files as ways to protect against viruses. It also mentions that anti-virus programs can detect and remove or repair infected programs and files.

Therefore, the passage supports the idea that using virus protection software properly can help prevent damage from computer viruses. However, it does not guarantee complete protection or imply that computer owners who do not use virus protection applications will necessarily suffer damages from computer viruses.

"To detect computer viruses, anti-virus programs have been developed. Besides detecting viruses, anti-virus programs also have utilities to remove or repair infected programs and files. Some damaged files cannot be repaired and must be replaced with uninfected backup files."

-> but don't these lines from the passage provide support for D?
-> Idk how objective this question can be since I think the passage provides support for both A and D. Maybe a better question would have been: what statement does the passage provide the BEST support for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi Sajjad,

Can I get the OE for Q3?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prob2303 wrote:
Hi Sajjad,

Can I get the OE for Q3?

Official Explanation

3. According to the passage, computer viruses can spread by which of the following means?

Explanation

According to the passage, viruses can affect boot programs, but they cannot spread through them.

Answer: D

For alternative explanation, click here
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts