It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:20) correct 39% (01:33) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road from a remote mountain fortress to a major expressway lying at the base of the mountain. The slope leading to the mountain fortress is so precipitous that the only conceivable way to carry out the project is by building the road downhill, since construction equipment is able to move down, but not up, the steep terrain. The foreman has devised the following solution: dismantle each construction vehicle and tie a part upon the back of a donkey, an animal capable of making the steep ascent. The foreman has at his disposal more than 100 donkeys, each of which is capable of making multiple trips up the mountain.

In order for the foreman’s plan to be successful, which of the following pieces of information is most important?

A) Whether the strongest donkey is able to transport the heaviest piece of equipment
B) Whether the weakest donkey is able to transport the lightest piece of equipment
C) Whether any donkey is capable of transporting multiple parts
D) Whether the second strongest donkey is able to transport the heaviest piece of equipment
E) Whether the weakest donkey is able to transport the heaviest piece of equipment
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
Lucky

Last edited by carcass on 15 Feb 2015, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 03:53
So if the strongest donkey is not able to carry the heaviest equipment then for sure we can say the rest of the donkeys will not be able to carry the equipment and his plan of transporting up will would fail. So answer is A .

On the other hand B came close if the weakest donkey is not able to carry the lightest equipment does not matter since it can be the second weakest could carry the lightest equipment ..

OA is A
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 04:06
Thanks for your reply.
My doubt is that if the strongest donkey cannot lift alone why do not we apply 2 donkeys for same job?

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks,
Lucky

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 05:05
Lucky2783 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
My doubt is that if the strongest donkey cannot lift alone why do not we apply 2 donkeys for same job?

Posted from my mobile device

hi
the entire equipment has already been stripped down to its basic components that is it can not be broken further..
now the slope would not allow each piece to be handled by two animals together..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 21:23
Hi there,

This is not an Inference Question. Inference questions demand us to follow the reasoning of "if what is stated in the passage is true, then what else must be true?"

I think this question should be categorized as "Evaluate". Here, you are addressing an assumption that the author should make in order for his plan to succeed. If that condition is fulfilled, the plan will work. If it is not, the plan will fail.

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Intern
Intern
A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 08:31
I dont get why its not E though;

the strongest donkey could be able to carry the heaviest part yes; but this leaves no information if the next donkey in line could carry the next heaviest object in line; so to be truly sure that this plan would work, every donkey would have to be able to carry every part, which would be answer E; where is my logic going wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it; multiple trips are possible.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: UFlorida '18, UFL '17

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 21:36
Can anyone explain why D could be wrong ?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 18:35
vinnisatija wrote:
Can anyone explain why D could be wrong ?

D) Whether the second strongest donkey is able to transport the heaviest piece of equipment

It doesn't matter if the second strongest donkey is able to transport the heaviest piece or not.

The only thing that matters is if the (first) strongest donkey can transport the heaviest piece. If the strongest donkey can't transport the heaviest piece than the machinery can't be transported. If the strongest donkey can transport the heaviest piece the strongest donkey can transport all other pieces.

It doesn't matter what the second strongest or 3rd or 100th strongest donkey can carry. No other donkey's matter. In an extreme example: assume the other 99 donkeys had broken legs and couldn't transport anything, but as long as the strongest donkey can transport the heaviest equipment....than technically the strongest donkey can transport everything (one piece at a time as multiple trips are allowed)
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 05:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 05:32
OE:
This type of question is what's known as a "Paragraph Argument" or "Critical Reasoning" question.

It would be closest to a "necessary condition" question, and that is why A is correct. In order for the plan to work, at least one donkey must be capable of carrying the heaviest piece. Otherwise, the whole plan falls apart. And while I agree that it would be sufficient if the weakest donkey could carry the heaviest piece, it would also be sufficient if only the strongest one could. So either way, the answer is A.

The question asks which fact is most important for us to know. Whether the weakest donkey can carry the piece could not be said to be what is most important. It would be great if all the donkeys could carry all the different pieces, but it is only important that the strongest one be able to; without this the plan cannot succeed.

Donkeys are going to be used to transport parts of construction equipment up a hill. If there is a piece of construction equipment that is too heavy for any one donkey to carry, then the plan fails. That is, how will the foreman get that piece of equipment up the mountain? (We are, of course, discounting the absurdity of having two donkeys carrying one piece of equipment). Therefore, the answer is (A).

(B) is out. If the weakest donkey cannot carry the lightest piece of equipment, then another donkey can carry it. The plan is by no means foiled.

(C) has no bearing on the success of the plan because even if no donkey can carry multiple parts, the donkeys can conceivably carry the parts up the hill.

(D) is similar to (A), but what if the second strongest donkey cannot support the heaviest piece of equipment. The strongest donkey could still carry the heaviest piece of equipment.

(E) is wrong because even if the weakest donkey could not carry the heaviest piece, there are a whole herd of stronger donkeys that may be able to carry it.
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 05:40
Key here is single piece cannot be handled by multiple donkeys and the construction equipment cannot be broken further as the same is already dismantled....If the strongest donkey is not able to lift heaviest equipment , it implies that the heaviest equipment cannot be lifted by other donkeys either . As a result of which foreman's plan shall be unsuccessful.

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

Re: A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2018, 05:40

A construction project has been tasked with building a four-lane road

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap