It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Location: United States
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 14:50
monir6000 wrote:
A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had been stocked with only a cola product and an iced-tea product had 15 colas left at the end of the day but only 3 iced-tea beverages. As a result, the manager reasoned that he should increase the amount of iced tea and decrease the amount of cola he ordered from the distributor.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the manager's rationale for ordering more iced tea and less cola?

a. The cooler in question is the only place in the store where the cola and iced tea beverages are stocked.
b. On that day, a month-long $1,000,000 sweepstakes began, with prizes awarded via the bottlecaps on the iced tea beverage.
c. At the beginning of the day, the cooler was stocked with at least as many of the iced tea beverages as of the cola beverages.
d. On the subsequent day, the remaining three iced tea beverages all sold within the first hour after the store opened.
e. During that week, a special "buy one, get one free" sale was in effect for the cola beverage.


B/w option B, C and D, C makes most sense as being not dependent on any external factor (lottery or the happenings of the next day)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.12
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 08:59
Why is B wrong out here?
I think that it also strengthens the argument.
_________________

___________________
Never Say Never.. :)
Don't be a MISER...Give a KUDOS... :P

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2736
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 10:58
monir6000 wrote:
A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had been stocked with only a cola product and an iced-tea product had 15 colas left at the end of the day but only 3 iced-tea beverages. As a result, the manager reasoned that he should increase the amount of iced tea and decrease the amount of cola he ordered from the distributor.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the manager's rationale for ordering more iced tea and less cola?

a. The cooler in question is the only place in the store where the cola and iced tea beverages are stocked.
b. On that day, a month-long $1,000,000 sweepstakes began, with prizes awarded via the bottlecaps on the iced tea beverage.
c. At the beginning of the day, the cooler was stocked with at least as many of the iced tea beverages as of the cola beverages.
d. On the subsequent day, the remaining three iced tea beverages all sold within the first hour after the store opened.
e. During that week, a special "buy one, get one free" sale was in effect for the cola beverage.


it would be logical to do what the manager plans if at the beginning - the number of colas and iced-teas were the same. in this case, we can see that in fact more iced-teas were bought.
ex: what if the iced teas were 3? it means that none of the iced teas were sold.
so C is the best.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 May 2016
Posts: 72
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 21:35
gmatprep2011 wrote:
amablema wrote:
I disagree with the OA, What do you think?

A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had been stocked with only a cola product and an iced-tea product had 15 colas left at the end of the day but only 3 iced-tea beverages. As a result, the manager reasoned that he should increase the amount of iced tea and decrease the amount of cola he ordered from the distributor.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the manager's rationale for ordering more iced tea and less cola?

Immediately after reading the question, we realize that the answer has to be one that will help us arrive at the number of colas and iced tea sold or the sales information in relative sense.

a. The cooler in question is the only place in the store where the cola and iced tea beverages are stocked. INCORRECT - We do not know how many cola and iced tea were sold.
b. On that day, a month-long $1,000,000 sweepstakes began, with prizes awarded via the bottlecaps on the iced tea beverage.INCORRECT - We cannot assume that sweepstakes would have increased the sales
c. At the beginning of the day, the cooler was stocked with at least as many of the iced tea beverages as of the cola beverages.CORRECT - We know that sales (units) of iced tea was more than colas
d. On the subsequent day, the remaining three iced tea beverages all sold within the first hour after the store opened.INCORRECT - Irrelevant
e. During that week, a special "buy one, get one free" sale was in effect for the cola beverage.INCORRECT - Irrelevant


Pre-thinking the answer is important.


On the contrary, IMO pre-thinking leads to a wrong answer. Pre-thinking would prompt us to assume that something of importance took place today and that is why the manager decided to take a new approach. This would prompt us to look for something unique about the day's occurrence i.e. option B.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1922
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 09:18
I know the question should be extremely easy, but i get a wrong answer. Partly, I just thought that the question is hard, then the options have trick. As a result, I cannot choose the answer among B,C,D.

After checking OA, I can see that the lottery prize or the subsequent day has nothing to do with the cooler.
My question is can we know whether it is a hard question, or it is just an easy one?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 479
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 19:49
Show timer Statistics
A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had been stocked with only a cola product and an iced-tea product had 15 colas left at the end of the day but only 3 iced-tea beverages. As a result, the manager reasoned that he should increase the amount of iced tea and decrease the amount of cola he ordered from the distributor.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the manager's rationale for ordering more iced tea and less cola?

a. The cooler in question is the only place in the store where the cola and iced tea beverages are stocked.
the argument says that the manager will buy more bottles from the distributor that means thet buying or selling is only from the store and not anyother place,about the cooler since it is the only source of sale mentioned then we take it as true.
b. On that day, a month-long $1,000,000 sweepstakes began, with prizes awarded via the bottlecaps on the iced tea beverage.
weakens the argument.
c. At the beginning of the day, the cooler was stocked with at least as many of the iced tea beverages as of the cola beverages.
THe correct answer because the argument will only stand true if the number of bottles of iced tea are equal to the number of bottles of cola.
d. On the subsequent day, the remaining three iced tea beverages all sold within the first hour after the store opened.
Out of Scope
e. During that week, a special "buy one, get one free" sale was in effect for the cola beverage.
strengthens the argument but it cannot be the main supporting point it may add on since we have a stronger option available.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1922
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 13:49
ankittiss wrote:
Why is B wrong out here?
I think that it also strengthens the argument.


B is out of scope because the argument does not say anything about the sweeptakes and its prize
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: active
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 173
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 01:22
c. At the beginning of the day, the cooler was stocked with at least as many of the iced tea beverages as of the cola beverages.

If only the number of colas is equal to number of ice tea at the beginning of the day this will hold
Re: A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2017, 01:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A convenience store manager noticed that a cooler which had

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.