Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A couple questions as I plan out my application process [#permalink]
Thank you--that is very helpful! I'll definitely apply in 2019, then.

I have one additional question, and it's a tricky one. I am trying to figure out if I should apply to Columbia Early Decision, and although I have a couple years to decide, I would greatly appreciate your input on this as well. I see a number of pros and cons to going ED:

1. I believe there's a good chance that applying ED will boost my chances of admission to Columbia. If I have a weak interview or some other part of my application (such as work experience) is lacking from the adcoms' perspective, the ED choice could make up for that. The Decision Tracker results for recent years indicate that your chances of admission at Columbia may be much higher in the early acceptance round, though the applicant pools may also be different.

2. I also think that Columbia could be more likely to give me some scholarship $$$ if I go ED, although I know there's a lot of debate about this.

3. Really not as important, but it would be nice to be done with MBA applications if I find out early that I got admitted there; it would make the rest of the year much less stressful!

4. Submitting the application early (in June or July 2019, for example) would give me more time to work on my other applications. Columbia would be a Round 0.5 of sorts. I know I could also apply early for ED too and just get it out of the way, even if I won't hear back for a while.

5. Columbia' Loan Assistance Program would potentially allow me to pay back much less debt in the long run. If I'm $100,000 in debt when I graduate, but work for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit (which is my plan anyway) and get approved for the program, Columbia could pay off $10,000 in loan money a year for 10 years, which would ultimately be a lot more valuable than a $20,000 scholarship. I know that some other programs offer this as well, and many of them are also on my list of prospective schools.

6. Columbia is, in my mind, tied for "first choice" along with Harvard, UPenn, and Yale. I would be overjoyed to attend any of those schools. So I can say with a straight face that Columbia is "a" first choice school for me.

The disadvantages:

1. If I'm admitted, I won't be able to compare the scholarship/aid packages that any other schools offer me. If I get a substantial scholarship (or a full ride--I can dream, right?) to another school on my list, I won't be able to accept it.

Along with Yale, Columbia, Harvard, and UPenn (my top four choices), I'm also planning to apply to Duke and Cornell in Round 1. If I don't get in to any of those schools, I would plan to apply to Michigan, UNC, Virginia, and Georgetown in Round 2. (All of these are subject to change, of course!) So if one of those schools gives me a much better deal than Columbia, it doesn't matter, and I probably wouldn't ever know anyway.

2. Columbia's Loan Assistance Program looks great, and I think I'll have a good shot at benefiting from it, but I know that it's not an entitlement--so I might not receive money from it after all, or potentially a lot less than I'd expect. If I'm making less than $80,000 (which is quite possible given that I'm most drawn to the social services sector), I could be in rough shape financially for a decade. (This will be a potential problem regardless of what round I apply in, of course.)

What are your thoughts? I know that I have a good shot at getting into Columbia during regular decision as well, but I don't want to take anything for granted, and it seems that going ED could boost my chances. Oh, and declining the ED admissions offer is not an option for me.

And I suppose I have one more question: if applying ED makes sense, what might my chances be at getting in if I apply in 2018? (As you can see, part of me is still inclined in that direction--perhaps out of impulsivity.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A couple questions as I plan out my application process [#permalink]
Thanks for the quick response! You're absolutely right that my candidacy will be stronger in 2019, but do you think I stand a fair chance at getting into Columbia ED if I apply in 2018--enough to make applying worthwhile? (It would be the only MBA program I applied to that year.) It seems like Columbia welcomes reapplicants, especially if they applied ED the next year.
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
A fair chance...but the ad comm will see you as an applicant who won't bring much to the table outside of great scores which don't really affect the classroom environment for others. So that will be a major red flag. Also, as a re-applicant you will have to prove to the ad comm how you have grown since your application, since you will have more experience you have a natural story, but I do think getting some work experience will help you as an applicant and also as a student when you are looking for employment post-MBA
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, those are good points, and I especially need to think about the effects of matriculating too early on post-MBA employment. There's really no need for me to rush my applications. Thanks for the advice! I'm sure I will have more questions as 2019 approaches.
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
No problem, feel free to keep them coming in the Ask Veritas Forum as the quetions come. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot