Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [143]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [67]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [41]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Re: A cyclist travels the length of a bike path that is 225 miles long, ro [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you Bunuel,
Got your point that "the average speed must be between" implies "MUST cover all possible values"
All clear :)
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Re: A cyclist travels the length of a bike path that is 225 miles long, ro [#permalink]
Oh yes.. Thank you again for the clear explanation.
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot bunuel.Your explanation made it very clear!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you. I also got D but now I understand why it's C. Best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Bookmarks
A cyclist travels the length of a bike path that is 225 miles long, rounded to the nearest mile. If the trip took him 5 hrs, rounded to the nearest hour, then his average speed must be between:

Length is between 224.5 and 225.4 miles.
Trip is between 4:30 and 5:29 long

We want to maximize and minimize results.

225.4/4.5 = 50.1
224.5/5.5 = 40.8

40.8 <= R <= 50.1

So the range is greater than or equal to 40.8 and less than or equal to 50.1. the only answer choice that allows for all possible values of R is C.

ANSWER: C. 40 and 51 mph
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
supratim7 wrote:
Thank you Bunuel,
Got your point that "the average speed must be between" implies "MUST cover all possible values"
Cheers!

Alternative approach. It's based on observing the answer choices. On the PS section always look at the answer choices before you start to solve a problem. They might often give you a clue on how to approach the question.
A) 38 and 50 mph
B) 40 and 50 mph
C) 40 and 51 mph
D) 41 and 50 mph
E) 41 and 51 mph

Notice that since the range from A covers entire range from B and D, then B and D are out (if B or D is correct so is A and we can not have two correct answer, leave the bigger range). Similarly since the range from C covers entire range from E, then E is out too (if E is correct so is C and we can not have two correct answer, leave the bigger range).

Thus we are left only with two answer choices A (38, 50) and C (40, 51). From here it's much easier to get the correct answer.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel, You are Awesome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-15-2013
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
is this a 700-difficulty question?!! I don't think so
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aldossari wrote:
is this a 700-difficulty question?!! I don't think so

Look at the stats: 72% of the users answered it incorrectly, so yes, it's 700-level question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
When choosing ranges, Why cant have as following?

224.5 - 225 - 225.4
4.5 - 5 - 5.4

In my view, 225.5 is wrong as it is equally closer to 226.0, similarly 5.5 is equally closer to 6.
More so when we say rounded off to nearest, should we not adhere to rounding off principles?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ygdrasil24 wrote:
When choosing ranges, Why cant have as following?

224.5 - 225 - 225.4
4.5 - 5 - 5.4

In my view, 225.5 is wrong as it is equally closer to 226.0, similarly 5.5 is equally closer to 6.
More so when we say rounded off to nearest, should we not adhere to rounding off principles?

What do the dashes there represent?

Length of a path is 225 miles long, rounded to the nearest mile --> \(224.5\leq{distance}<225.5\) --> any number from this range rounded to the nearest integer is 225 (notice strict inequality with 225.5: <).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1137
Schools: NUS '23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
supratim7 wrote:
Thank you Bunuel,
Cheers!

Alternative approach. It's based on observing the answer choices. On the PS section always look at the answer choices before you start to solve a problem. They might often give you a clue on how to approach the question.
A) 38 and 50 mph
B) 40 and 50 mph
C) 40 and 51 mph
D) 41 and 50 mph
E) 41 and 51 mph

Notice that since the range from A covers entire range from B and D, then B and D are out (if B or D is correct so is A and we can not have two correct answer, leave the bigger range). Similarly since the range from C covers entire range from E, then E is out too (if E is correct so is C and we can not have two correct answer, leave the bigger range).

Thus we are left only with two answer choices A (38, 50) and C (40, 51). From here it's much easier to get the correct answer.

Hope it's clear.

hi...how do we reach the final answer between A and C via this approach? since the other method is calculation intensive and time consuming...please help me out
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
applebear wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
supratim7 wrote:
Thank you Bunuel,
Cheers!

A) 38 and 50 mph
B) 40 and 50 mph
C) 40 and 51 mph
D) 41 and 50 mph
E) 41 and 51 mph

Hope it's clear.

hi...how do we reach the final answer between A and C via this approach? since the other method is calculation intensive and time consuming...please help me out

Hello

I think after eliminating the other answer choices as Bunuel suggested, we have to do the calculation anyway. But probably you can save some time by calculating only one of the limits (either upper limit or lower limit). So if you find that the minimum speed must be around 224.5/5.5, option A also gets eliminated and you are left with option C only.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts