GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3354
A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 07:41
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:35) correct 13% (02:12) wrong based on 99 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees in a territory that serves as a sanctuary for Bengal tigers, the incidence of tigers attacking humans in nearby villages has increased by 300 percent. Because the logging operation has reduced the number of acres of woodland per tiger on average from 15 acres to approximately 12 acres, scientists have theorized that tigers must need a minimum number of acres of woodland in order to remain content.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most strengthen the scientists’ hypothesis?

(A) In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres, there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans.

(B) Before the logging operation began, there were many fewer humans living in the area.

(C) The largest number of acres per tiger before the logging operation began was 32 acres per tiger in one area of the sanctuary, whereas the smallest number of acres per tiger after the logging operation was 9 acres.

(D) Other species of wild animals have begun competing with the Bengal tigers for the dwindling food supply.

(E) The Bengal tiger has become completely extinct in other areas of Asia.

_________________
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3354
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 08:37
Please, guys.

We have rules, and these must be followed: whenever you say a possible answer, wrong or right it is not important, you should provide an explanation.

In this manner, we learn how to beat the GMAT

Thank you

Regards
_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7558
A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 08:42
Hi guyz,
please share your thoughts on the OA and have some discussion..
If you give your line of thought, there may be someone who will learn from it or may be someone improves upon that line of thought and you too get benefitted...
IMO A, B, C etc does not serve the purpose and defeats the very purpose the thread has been started on the Q by carcass.

edit:- it seems carcass too has aired his view on the same..
_________________
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4419
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 09:25
Quote:
A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees in a territory that serves as a sanctuary for Bengal tigers, the incidence of tigers attacking humans in nearby villages has increased by 300 percent. Because the logging operation has reduced the number of acres of woodland per tiger on average from 15 acres to approximately 12 acres, scientists have theorized that tigers must need a minimum number of acres of woodland in order to remain content.


IMHO A , because it correctly supports the conclusion of the Stimulus presented to us, by comparing the situation in Bengal to other areas of India where number of acres of woodland per tiger remained the same.

Hence I would like to mark (A)
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 53
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 19:54
1
chetan2u wrote:
Hi guyz,
please share your thoughts on the OA and have some discussion..
If you give your line of thought, there may be someone who will learn from it or may be someone improves upon that line of thought and you too get benefitted...
IMO A, B, C etc does not serve the purpose and defeats the very purpose the thread has been started on the Q by carcass.

edit:- it seems carcass too has aired his view on the same..



Although I selected A, For me A weakens the conclusion. We are assuming that the tigers were satisfied when the acreage was 15. Maybe tigers were not contented before and the attacks were already high.
A BAD gmat question
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3354
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 01:27
RatneshS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi guyz,
please share your thoughts on the OA and have some discussion..
If you give your line of thought, there may be someone who will learn from it or may be someone improves upon that line of thought and you too get benefitted...
IMO A, B, C etc does not serve the purpose and defeats the very purpose the thread has been started on the Q by carcass.

edit:- it seems carcass too has aired his view on the same..



Although I selected A, For me A weakens the conclusion. We are assuming that the tigers were satisfied when the acreage was 15. Maybe tigers were not contented before and the attacks were already high.
A BAD gmat question


Actually, the argument says that under a certain threshold of acres the tigers become more aggressive, due to lack of territory. We need something the helps us to reinforce this conclusion , saying the = or above that limit the attacks do not happen. A says this.

Could you elebora<te much better why A weakens the argument ??

thank you
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 53
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Feb 2016, 06:33
carcass wrote:
RatneshS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi guyz,
please share your thoughts on the OA and have some discussion..
If you give your line of thought, there may be someone who will learn from it or may be someone improves upon that line of thought and you too get benefitted...
IMO A, B, C etc does not serve the purpose and defeats the very purpose the thread has been started on the Q by carcass.

edit:- it seems carcass too has aired his view on the same..



Although I selected A, For me A weakens the conclusion. We are assuming that the tigers were satisfied when the acreage was 15. Maybe tigers were not contented before and the attacks were already high.
A BAD gmat question


Actually, the argument says that under a certain threshold of acres the tigers become more aggressive, due to lack of territory. We need something the helps us to reinforce this conclusion , saying the = or above that limit the attacks do not happen. A says this.

Could you elebora<te much better why A weakens the argument ??

thank you


Lets see the argument together. The fact is that there is an increase in rate of tiger attack.
Conclusion is : because there is a decrease in acreage from 15 to 12, tigers attack people.

option A says:In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres,there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans.
We may assume that the rates of attack were already high @15 acres so it might not strengthen the argument. If we adhere by this then scientists have made a false assumption.

Making sense? :lol:/ :lol:

Originally posted by RatneshS on 18 Feb 2016, 01:41.
Last edited by carcass on 18 Feb 2016, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
carcass
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7558
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 02:23
RatneshS wrote:

Lets see the argument together. The fact is that there is an increase in rate of tiger attack.
Conclusion is : because there is a decrease in acreage from 15 to 12, tigers attack people.

option A says:In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres,there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans.
We may assume that the rates of attack were already high @15 acres so it might not strengthen the argument. If we adhere by this then scientists have made a false assumption.

Making sense? :lol: :lol:


two points...
1) the Q asks you to find "would most strengthen the scientists’ hypothesis?".
here this is the only choice that strengthens..
2) The line of reasoning that you have written may be correct and required. if they gave you this choice/statement in main para and asked you to--
a) find a flaw in the reasoning, or
b) weakening the argument..
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 03:46
We have to strengthen the scientists' hypothesis:

(A) In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres, there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans. (Strengthens it indeed!)

(B) Before the logging operation began, there were many fewer humans living in the area. (Irrelevant)

(C) The largest number of acres per tiger before the logging operation began was 32 acres per tiger in one area of the sanctuary, whereas the smallest number of acres per tiger after the logging operation was 9 acres. (Irrelevant)

(D) Other species of wild animals have begun competing with the Bengal tigers for the dwindling food supply. ( Not related to the given premise)

(E) The Bengal tiger has become completely extinct in other areas of Asia. (Doesn't make sense)

Therefore, A
_________________
In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3354
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 06:53
Quote:

Lets see the argument together. The fact is that there is an increase in rate of tiger attack.
Conclusion is : because there is a decrease in acreage from 15 to 12, tigers attack people.

option A says:In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres,there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans.
We may assume that the rates of attack were already high @15 acres so it might not strengthen the argument. If we adhere by this then scientists have made a false assumption.

Making sense? :lol:/ :lol:


What you are assuming, and chetan2u already pointed out, is something that is not indicated in the stimulus or is outside our argument.

One of the most common mistakes that you can do tackling the GMAT is bringing in info from outside world. They could be correct or not, that's not the point at issue, but is wrong

So, indeed, your reasoning is flawed

Regards
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 19:56
Can't 'd' be the answer?
Other species of wild animals have begun competing with the Bengal tigers for the dwindling food supply due to smaller woodland availability - which has forced tiger to attack outside of 12 acres

Option 'a' states In other wildlife areas in India where the number of acres of woodland per tiger remains at least 15 acres, there has been no increase in the number of tiger attacks on humans. ... it say no increase in attacks... these sanctuaries may already have more attacks taking place... can this statement define contentment of tigers then?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 19:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A decade after a logging operation in India began cutting down trees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.