Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [30]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [11]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618763 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the [#permalink]
A

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population --> In argument “There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly” explains that there is something else in north sea causing deaths of shellfish (Pollution). This to some extent supports the argument
(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea --> weaken
(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea --> weaken by countering the argument with another reason
(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal --> out of scope
(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were ..” --- >weaken
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 752 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the [#permalink]
Best is A

1)Supports: Pollution is causing others sea creatures to die as well
2) Weakens
3)Out of Scope
4)Out of Scope
5) Weakens

So Something that doesn't weakens is kind of neutral or may be supporting the Explanation.

No where it is told that we would get a perfect answer in answer choices. Relatively better is Good to choose.

Doesn't this resembles our day to day lives. We take decisions based on which is a better choice.Perfection is not always required. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
is there anything to do with "At various times during the last ten years" I mean the past thing can have no effect on present phenomena
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
YangYichen wrote:
is there anything to do with "At various times during the last ten years" I mean the past thing can have no effect on present phenomena

Unless the year when the statement is made is known, the phrase "At various times during the last ten years" does not have a role. The sentence would be more meaningful, if it were something like "during the same period".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
noboru wrote:
A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the North Sea to die since May 1988. The explanation for the deaths cannot rest here, however. There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly: clearly the severe pollution of the North Sea waters must have weakened the immune system of the seals so that they could no longer withstand the virus.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the explanation given in the argument?

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population.

(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea.

(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea.

(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal.

(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were unprepared to counter it.

Source: LSAT

Same passage with different stem question: LINK

Hi folks ,

I think the answer is A
A virus has caused the seal population to decline in north sea since may 1988 ans the decline was because of the immune system weakened by the severe pollution of the north sea.
This is a very tough problem but A provides a loose hint that strengthens the argument by giving us examples of other animals who also have suffered severe population decline .
Now the severe pollution of the north sea will affect every animal living in the zone and dependent on the north sea .So this is our strengthener

E on the other hand describes a story that does not affect the conclusion of the argument .I tells us that the virus was not native to the north sea and therefore immune system of the seals was not ready to fight the disease.It changes the reasoning of the argument .We may not know if seals will encounter the disease once if they have suffered from the disease .
So it does not strengthen the argument .

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
This was an interesting question. I do wonder, however, how people were so certain the "explanation" given in the argument referred to the author's.

There are in fact TWO explanations given in this argument:

General: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the North Sea to die since May 1988

Author's: There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly: clearly the severe pollution of the North Sea waters must have weakened the immune system of the seals so that they could no longer withstand the virus.

The only explanation that is specified is the former. "The explanation for the deaths cannot rest here, however. " Perhaps that is a bit too literal for CR, though. I guess an argument= refers to the author's view by default.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts