GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A factory manager at Artitus Industries

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2013
Posts: 100
Location: India
Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
CAT Tests
A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 03:40
12
24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:32) correct 73% (01:37) wrong based on 921 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 208
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 06:00
4
4
OA is correct and in fact, it's a copy of the below official question:

Hardin argued that grazing land held in common(that is, open to any user) would always be used less carefully than private grazing land. Each rancher would be tempted to overuse common land because the benefits would accrue to the individuals, while the costs of reduced land quality that results from overuse would be spread among all users. But a study comparing 217 million acres of common grazing land with 433 million acres of private grazing land showed that the common land was in better condition.

Which of the following, if true and known by the ranchers, would best help explain the results of the study?

(A): With private grazing land, both the costs and the benefits of overuse fall to the individual user.
(B): The cost in reduced land quality that is attributable to any individual user is less easily measured with common land than it is with private land.
(C): An individual who overuses common grazing land might be able to achieve higher returns than other uses can, with the result that he or she would obtain a competitive advantage.
(D): If one user of common land overuses it even slightly, the other users are likely to do so even more, with the consequence that the costs to each user outweigh the benefits.
(E): There are more acres of grazing hand held privately than there are held in common.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 35
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 04:37
1
Doesn't option A completely shatters the argument? How come its the OA?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 35
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 23:04
Its still unclear. :(

Could someone please elaborate a bit?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 92
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 04:20
anceer wrote:
A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.



Hi ,
i THINK THE ANSWER SHOULD BE e.
option A hardly focusses on the fact that the shared tools are maintained properly rather it states that they are equally in the same bad state as non-shared tools.
how does option A explains artitus's explaination.

when we look at option E - atleast the option says that determining maintainance measures might be crooked and not properly measured.

Please explain option A.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 06:24
the OA must be E

A does not even help the argument in any way, it just talks abt the shared tools.

E on the other hand states that the procedure for examining is wrong. Please explain im if wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 12:18
4
aditi1903 wrote:
anceer wrote:
A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.



Hi ,
i THINK THE ANSWER SHOULD BE e.
option A hardly focusses on the fact that the shared tools are maintained properly rather it states that they are equally in the same bad state as non-shared tools.
how does option A explains artitus's explaination.

when we look at option E - atleast the option says that determining maintainance measures might be crooked and not properly measured.

Please explain option A.

Thanks!



Hi Aditi,

The answer cannot be E, since E talks about difficulty in determining the damage done to a particular tool by each worker. But the stimuli states that the 'overall' damage done to shared tools was less than an individual's tools.

I picked A as per the following logic:
If any one user fails to maintain the tool perfectly, others would also start neglecting the tools. Hence, there is very high incentive for each worker using the shared tool to maintain the tool properly, else others would also neglect to maintain them.

Hope this helps.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3447
A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 12:40
4
3
yes you are right. the answer , though is tempting, can not be E at a closer look

The argument is pretty straight

A company want to give a single tool for employee to foster productivity or whatever it is.......BUT the conclusion shows that is wrong and that the good way to do X is TO SHARE the tools among the employees. Basically the argument is this.

So we must find a reason that shows WHY ?? WHY ??? is better sharing the tools rather than not

A says just this i.e : if we (the employees) do not care of the single various tools we share among us, the tools will become unusable; tha's why the tools are well maintained.

E instead : The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.

But E doesn't say WHY sharing is good, using a comparison between shared and individual tools. It doesn't hold any water.

Hope is clear
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 09:25
2
B.... clearly gives the incentive that since one tool is used by many in a common workshop thereby affecting each of them ....they will all share the responsibility of maintaining that tool and hence the tools at the common workshop will be better maintained.

Request anyone to clarify why A is the answer ?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 09:57
1
rahul241sinha wrote:
B.... clearly gives the incentive that since one tool is used by many in a common workshop thereby affecting each of them ....they will all share the responsibility of maintaining that tool and hence the tools at the common workshop will be better maintained.

Request anyone to clarify why A is the answer ?



At first go, I felt none of the answer is good enough and chose B. But now I see it more clearly.

A) says that if individual do not keep the tool in good condition, it will EVENTUALLY become unusable i.e. new tool need to be brought in or there will be no tool to work with. Thus employees will take good care of tools (or the tools will be replaced with tools in good conditions :D )
_________________

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 01:19
@Sameer ....thnx I see your point now :)
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 08:23
1
rahul241sinha wrote:
@Sameer ....thnx I see your point now :)


Be more liberal with Kudos :-D
press one if my POV helped :wink:
_________________

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 95
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 23:17
A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.

Can someone please clarify why A) is preferred over B).
I get the reason behind choosing A) but why is B) wrong?
Is it because the condition of the shared tool affects all users at least somewhat ?

SOmeone please clarify?
Thanks in advance
_________________

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Mar 2016
Posts: 32
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 10:39
Somebody mentioned a comparison with the official gmat question. However in the stated official problem there isnt an option which mimics B of this question. Hence the option is crystal clear. In this question B has an equal chance of being the winner if not more.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
Location: India
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 12:55
banerjee06 wrote:
Somebody mentioned a comparison with the official gmat question. However in the stated official problem there isnt an option which mimics B of this question. Hence the option is crystal clear. In this question B has an equal chance of being the winner if not more.

Agreed. Option B of original question is actually equivalent to a premise of the 2nd question. I was also torn between A&B.
banerjee06 wrote:
Somebody mentioned a comparison with the official gmat question. However in the stated official problem there isnt an option which mimics B of this question. Hence the option is crystal clear. In this question B has an equal chance of being the winner if not more.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 10:06
anceer wrote:
A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.


Here the conclusion is after assigning individual tools shared tools had been better maintained.Anyone with their own tool is likely to get more incentive for its maintenance than the assigned tools.

A. Correct -States that if the tools assigned by the company is shared and if one user doesn't properly maintains than others will also do the same because they won't get any benefit (incentives) for its maintenance unlike one of their own.
B.If tools are shared be it assigned or own is only going to affect the person who owns it not all.
C.Productivity is irrelevant here.
D.Irrelevant.
E.We are not talking about the damage here only about maintenance so out of scope.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 154
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 00:59
Why it cant be B ?
Thanks in advance
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3185
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 23:48
1
1
kannu44 wrote:
Why it cant be B ?
Thanks in advance


If the adverse effect of negligence of one user is shared by many users, then there is less incentive to take care of the tool. However if the adverse effect of negligence of one user is to be borne by only the user himself / herself , then there is more incentive to take care of the tool. Therefore option B cannot explain why the shared tools are in better condition than the individually issue tools. (It could explain if the result were opposite.)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 14:16
1
sayantanc2k wrote:
kannu44 wrote:
Why it cant be B ?
Thanks in advance


If the adverse effect of negligence of one user is shared by many users, then there is less incentive to take care of the tool. However if the adverse effect of negligence of one user is to be borne by only the user himself / herself , then there is more incentive to take care of the tool. Therefore option B cannot explain why the shared tools are in better condition than the individually issue tools. (It could explain if the result were opposite.)


Hi sayantanc,

But by the extension of this logic , even option A is also similar . As in the adverse effect of negligence - the tool becoming useless- is also shared by many user and hence there will be less incentive to take care of it.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 206
Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 09:35
Top Contributor
anceer wrote:
A factory manager at Artitus Industries suggested that tools be assigned to individual employees rather than shared within each workshop. Employees with their own tools would have more incentive to maintain the tools properly, as each employee would suffer all of the costs of improperly maintaining his or her tools. However, several months after Artitus began assigning tools to individual employees in one of its two workshops, it was found that the shared tools in the other workshop had been better maintained.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the Artitus's finding?

A If one user of shared tools fails to keep them in perfect condition, others are likely to begin to neglect the tools even more, with the result that the tools soon become unusable.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool affects all users at least somewhat.

C An employee using shared tools might be able to increase productivity by neglecting to maintain them.

D More companies assign tools individually than share them among employees.

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools.




The key word is "PERFECT CONDITION". Now the negation test can help understand why A is only good option.

A Even if some users don't strive to maintain perfect condition the tools would still be useful. That shatters the conclusion.
So everyone had striven for perfect condition.

B When tools are shared, the condition of any individual tool does not affect all users. SO what ??

C and D were anyways irrelevant

E The damage from any individual user's failure to properly maintain tools is not more difficult to determine with shared tools than with individual tools. NO IMPACT
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Re: A factory manager at Artitus Industries &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 09:35

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A factory manager at Artitus Industries

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.