GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Nov 2019, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge
A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:32) correct 37% (01:40) wrong based on 210 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If this claim is correct, then any music that is great art would imitate nature. But while some music may imitate ocean waves or the galloping of horses, for example, most great music imitates nothing at all.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main point of the argument?

(A) Music is inferior to the other arts.

(B) Either the artist's claim is incorrect, or most great music is not great art.

(C) Like some great music, some great painting and sculpture may fail to imitate nature.

(D) Some elements of nature cannot be represented adequately by great art.

(E) Sounds that do not imitate nature are not great music.

Originally posted by patto on 21 Feb 2019, 20:22.
Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Feb 2019, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 18:22
I chose C, according to me, this answers describes the fact that great music or some great pairings do not imitate art which I think is what the argument is talking about. Why is B the correcta answer?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Re: A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 09:09
RaquelR1409 wrote:
I chose C, according to me, this answers describes the fact that great music or some great pairings do not imitate art which I think is what the argument is talking about. Why is B the correcta answer?

Posted from my mobile device

I chose B because I believe the argument first posits a view of an artist whose view the argument questions.

Answer choice B provides that challenge.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 07:31
(A) Music is inferior to the other arts. ----->we cannot infer that Music is inferior to the other arts. No such comparison has been done.

(B) Either the artist's claim is incorrect, or most great music is not great art. ------> it is correct because at first author said "all great art imitates nature", "any music that is great art would imitate nature." ," most great music imitates nothing at all."

(C) Like some great music, some great painting and sculpture may fail to imitate nature. -------> We can't infer this from the passage.

(D) Some elements of nature cannot be represented adequately by great art. -------> No information

(E) Sounds that do not imitate nature are not great music. ---------> It's contradicting the information in the passage. As per passage, most great music doesn't imitate anything.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2019, 07:31

A famous artist once claimed that all great art imitates nature. If th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics